Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Apr 2021, 20:23 (Ref:4045216)   #1276
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Old 8 Apr 2021, 22:03 (Ref:4045230)   #1277
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The driver is as easy as ABC
Re the track, I think rbs meant when he said close to home, well, knowing where he lives....

Last edited by E.B; 8 Apr 2021 at 22:12.
Old 8 Apr 2021, 22:32 (Ref:4045236)   #1278
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
RBS, can i put our Ami, Gerard out of his misery? Please
Old 8 Apr 2021, 22:33 (Ref:4045237)   #1279
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
The driver is as easy as ABC
Re the track, I think rbs meant when he said close to home, well, knowing where he lives....
Do you mean Abc as is? Or his alter ego?
Old 8 Apr 2021, 23:04 (Ref:4045241)   #1280
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Do you mean Abc as is? Or his alter ego?
We are bordering on saxophones again.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 05:21 (Ref:4045255)   #1281
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Not Abecassis who did Le Mans four times, not three.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 06:12 (Ref:4045258)   #1282
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not Abecassis who did Le Mans four times, not three.
Thats the driver but I only have him down for 3 starts at Le Mans 1950, 51 & 53.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 08:21 (Ref:4045269)   #1283
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I have '50 Aston, DB 2, '51 DB 2, '52 DB 3 and '53 DB 3S.
But look if you have ham and cheese, I could supply butter and baguette de pain. We'll then could make a good sandwich!
Old 9 Apr 2021, 08:25 (Ref:4045271)   #1284
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
'50: 5th overall 1st in category with Macklin, '51 same 5th/2nd with Shawe Taylor, '52/'53 DNF, co-drivers Poore and Salvadori respectively. Did I miss something?
Old 9 Apr 2021, 08:26 (Ref:4045272)   #1285
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Is the car HWM? He wrecked his Alta in France, at Albi. Funnily enough, he was the Facel Vega official importer in the UK.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 08:48 (Ref:4045280)   #1286
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Is the car HWM? He wrecked his Alta in France, at Albi. Funnily enough, he was the Facel Vega official importer in the UK.
A Lot To Admire .............. perhaps?
Old 9 Apr 2021, 08:57 (Ref:4045281)   #1287
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Haaaaa, c'était donc ça! Mais bon sang mais c'est bien sûr. Let me say it before you, far too subtle for me.
RBS, did you find the year '50 edition results?
Old 9 Apr 2021, 09:08 (Ref:4045282)   #1288
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Did you see the gap between the 1st and 5th overall? 256 laps vs 249 sounds tight. I read that a good Dad's bloke, Pozzi, was Dsq'd for the loss of the mandatory seal of his Delahaye 175S. Serious business!
Old 9 Apr 2021, 17:06 (Ref:4045318)   #1289
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can not find a reference to GA at Le Mans in 1952, you have him partnering Dennis Poore but I have Dennis Poore as partnering Pat Griffith and retiring when the water pump failed after 3 hours.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 17:15 (Ref:4045321)   #1290
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
OK, I very much rely on you, so my bad. Sorry.
Anyway, good question, proof is dans le gâteau you got several good answers and you kept us busy and entertained. Thanks for that.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 17:54 (Ref:4045328)   #1291
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe the 1952 confusion comes from here - https://www.racingsportscars.com/dri...cassis-GB.html

'

Year: 1952      
Date Race No. Car Drivers Entrant Result
14.4.1952 Goodwood Easter [3rd Handicap Racing] 34 HWM George Abecassis 2nd
4.5.1952 Mille Miglia 556 Aston Martin DB2 Abecassis / Griffith Aston Martin Ltd. DNF
10.5.1952 Silverstone International 33 Aston Martin DB3 George Abecassis David Brown 3rd
15.6.1952 24 h Le Mans 26 Aston Martin DB3 In entry list only Aston Martin Ltd. DNF
10.7.1952 Jersey International 27 Aston Martin DB3 George Abecassis David Brown 3rd
2.8.1952 Boreham International [S+2.0] 32 Aston Martin DB3 George Abecassis David Brown DNF
16.8.1952 9 h Goodwood 16 Aston Martin DB3 Abecassis / Poore David Brown DNF
6.9.1952 Wakefield Trophy [Formula Libre]  HWM George Abecassis DNA
Old 9 Apr 2021, 17:54 (Ref:4045329)   #1292
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
I can not find a reference to GA at Le Mans in 1952, you have him partnering Dennis Poore but I have Dennis Poore as partnering Pat Griffith and retiring when the water pump failed after 3 hours.
1950 5th with Lance Macklin
1951 5th. with Brian Shawe-Taylor
1953 Ret. with Roy Salvadori.

All works Aston Martin.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 18:03 (Ref:4045334)   #1293
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
[QUOTE=crmalcolm;4045328]Maybe the 1952 confusion comes from here - https://www.racingsportscars.com/dri...cassis-GB.html

Me, Confused?

I will have a look and see what I can find next!
Old 9 Apr 2021, 18:07 (Ref:4045336)   #1294
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Who have we got here?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch301.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	68047
Old 9 Apr 2021, 18:20 (Ref:4045339)   #1295
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ha, merci beaucoup crmalcolm! Yes, "in entry list only" together with DNF is obviously very very confusing. Vous avez sauvé mon honneur!
Old 9 Apr 2021, 18:23 (Ref:4045340)   #1296
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
RB, do we have four men and a woman here? As to her, I wonder who can give her name for sure…
Old 9 Apr 2021, 21:38 (Ref:4045361)   #1297
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
RB, do we have four men and a woman here? As to her, I wonder who can give her name for sure…
PM sent.
Old 10 Apr 2021, 05:54 (Ref:4045377)   #1298
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Maybe the 1952 confusion comes from here - https://www.racingsportscars.com/dri...cassis-GB.html

'

Year: 1952      
Date Race No. Car Drivers Entrant Result
14.4.1952 Goodwood Easter [3rd Handicap Racing] 34 HWM George Abecassis 2nd
4.5.1952 Mille Miglia 556 Aston Martin DB2 Abecassis / Griffith Aston Martin Ltd. DNF
10.5.1952 Silverstone International 33 Aston Martin DB3 George Abecassis David Brown 3rd
15.6.1952 24 h Le Mans 26 Aston Martin DB3 In entry list only Aston Martin Ltd. DNF
10.7.1952 Jersey International 27 Aston Martin DB3 George Abecassis David Brown 3rd
2.8.1952 Boreham International [S+2.0] 32 Aston Martin DB3 George Abecassis David Brown DNF
16.8.1952 9 h Goodwood 16 Aston Martin DB3 Abecassis / Poore David Brown DNF
6.9.1952 Wakefield Trophy [Formula Libre]  HWM George Abecassis DNA
I dug around a bit and discovered tht George Abecassis contested the Swiss GP just a short time prior (three weeks) to the 1952 Le Mans. He suffered an accident in the HWM Alta which resulted in him suffering an injured arm.

It did not say it was broken or anything but perhaps injured enough to be a reason to scratch from running at Le Mans. I noticed also he made no further championship or non championship GP races after the Swiss race that year. This listing from crm suggests he did the Jersey International the following month to Le Mans in July.

Im not saying that is the reason.... not done enough research to confirm that but it seems a reasonable thought that the 'arm injury' interfered with Le Mans .

Last edited by E.B; 10 Apr 2021 at 06:04. Reason: Added a 'shrug' smiley because I could!
Old 10 Apr 2021, 07:03 (Ref:4045384)   #1299
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Are you sure about the Swiss GP? I thought GA wrecked his ALTA at Albi and that the transmission failed at Swiss GP.
Edit: the accident was in '39, not relevant.

So, we have JMF in wedding outfit and the mysterious lady is known at least by rbs.

Last edited by Gerard C; 10 Apr 2021 at 07:09. Reason: Year
Old 10 Apr 2021, 07:37 (Ref:4045390)   #1300
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Are you sure about the Swiss GP? I thought GA wrecked his ALTA at Albi and that the transmission failed at Swiss GP.
Edit: the accident was in '39, not relevant.

So, we have JMF in wedding outfit and the mysterious lady is known at least by rbs.
I am not sure who we are looking for here, El Chueco and the 'Bull' are far to obvious so are we after the other two gentlemen?

The lady is also easy to ID, a familiar figure back in the day.