Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Aug 2020, 07:26 (Ref:3994677)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree, the roads can be daunting.

Fortunately the roads around here are reasonably quiet but I do limit myself to a couple of routes, none of which are particularly long (between 8 and 16Km). Although both have reasonably steep hills.

I also generally go out at 6am so miss the major traffic. I suspect I will be taking the bike to a circuit or at least a location away from the main roads. Caldecott lake in MK is quite good for that.
Old 11 Aug 2020, 07:32 (Ref:3994679)   #27
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Dunno about the bikes but that's a great fence.
That made me laugh Pete.
Old 11 Aug 2020, 07:40 (Ref:3994681)   #28
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I would also like to think I played a small part in your success with triathlons Louis. I would always nag him when I found smoking at race meetings.
Biking in this morning I thought how much our Mike would of loved this thread
. We need get a "Bells Bike Ride" organised..
Old 11 Aug 2020, 08:49 (Ref:3994700)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes was thinking similar.
Old 11 Aug 2020, 08:56 (Ref:3994701)   #30
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did an early ride this morning (54km) with a mate to beat the heat. Early starts do mean quieter roads. An added bonus was that Cinnamon Cafe in Windsor (an excellent cyclist's stop btw) is doing "Eat Out to Help Out" so an Americano and a bacon sarnie only cost £2.80.
Old 11 Aug 2020, 10:24 (Ref:3994717)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
So, I ordered size ten Shimano shoes. What do they deliver? 44 or size nine. Second attempt. Getting bored now.
Old 11 Aug 2020, 17:13 (Ref:3994806)   #32
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see that Cambridge,s " Cycle priority " roundabout has already had one closure due to an accident .
https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/11/uks-f...rash-13112842/
Luckily this one did not involve a cyclist . But it is already being called an
" Organ Donor Supply Roundabout " , as it is very handily right outside the Hospital .
Old 11 Aug 2020, 17:27 (Ref:3994808)   #33
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I would also like to think I played a small part in your success with triathlons Louis. I would always nag him when I found smoking at race meetings.
Biking in this morning I thought how much our Mike would of loved this thread
. We need get a "Bells Bike Ride" organised..
True Iain, you played your part in that. I would think a "Bells Bike Ride" should be put together too, I'll make my way to wherever it will happen, he would have love that thread.
Old 11 Aug 2020, 17:32 (Ref:3994809)   #34
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I sympathise with you, back pain means very few positions are comfortable including normal sitting. As to the saddle itself, I have found it pretty comfortable (without the lycra and padding) so that is a plus.
Peter, I would say back pain is common to all cyclists. A big break for me and even though I stretch and am younger was to get through a "fitting" which showed a very significant progress in terms of comfort.

Common mistakes are the position of the clips which can cause knee pain, saddle is another point, although comfy, if too far back it can stretch your lower back constantly which causes the back pain, saddle height is another, low means you will not stretch the leg, too high means you stretch it too much and so on. Then and bars considered, I would say it's better to have a low "drop" rather than too much as reaching means stretching your back and neck to look up as well.

The fact is that from your foot to head, all muscles are a "line" which you should look after. I have come a long way myself trust me.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 05:25 (Ref:3994881)   #35
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
Peter, I would say back pain is common to all cyclists. A big break for me and even though I stretch and am younger was to get through a "fitting" which showed a very significant progress in terms of comfort.

Common mistakes are the position of the clips which can cause knee pain, saddle is another point, although comfy, if too far back it can stretch your lower back constantly which causes the back pain, saddle height is another, low means you will not stretch the leg, too high means you stretch it too much and so on. Then and bars considered, I would say it's better to have a low "drop" rather than too much as reaching means stretching your back and neck to look up as well.

The fact is that from your foot to head, all muscles are a "line" which you should look after. I have come a long way myself trust me.
At 83 i fear my cycling days are over, and if anyone were to ask me what is the one thing I would change if I could start life over, I can honestly say, " should have raised my saddle by a couple of inches much earlier". I used to ride close to 10,000 mile a year, riding to work, and racing, and I always suffered from a severe pain in my lower back after a few miles. I was into my fifties before a fellow cyclist I met 'on the road' one day who said my saddle was too low. I had doubts but raised it by 1.1/2 inches an it instantly cured the problem.

I could have avoided years of discomfort and would have been a much more efficient rider.

Listen to Dudda, is my advice.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 07:20 (Ref:3994890)   #36
Alan Morgan
Veteran

If you're having problems on a bike then a bike fit can make a huge difference. Evans Cycles do a basic one for £45 which covers all the important areas.

And Baub - a couple of the guys I cycle with also ride in a group where there are a couple of 80-somethings who have transitioned to E-bikes, which basically just assist up the hills. You'd be hard-pressed to know they weren't conventional bikes.

Last edited by Alan Morgan; 12 Aug 2020 at 07:35.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 07:35 (Ref:3994892)   #37
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
True Iain, you played your part in that. I would think a "Bells Bike Ride" should be put together too, I'll make my way to wherever it will happen, he would have love that thread.
I've done several routes on the roads around Delta's workshop in the Chilterns. They are very quiet and picturesque and would be perfect for that ride. There is also a wonderful pub en route where we could toast Mike's memory.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 07:36 (Ref:3994893)   #38
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Totally agree with the comments about getting a bike fitted properly to get the most out of it.
First step is usually frame size against your own height, but the length should not be overlooked. Making sure you have the right stem length can also make a huge difference.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 07:51 (Ref:3994896)   #39
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I get the importance if bike fitting. All i know is thst when i do a spin class i much prefer to have the bars slightly higher than the seat.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 08:40 (Ref:3994900)   #40
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I had a trial run with the clip on pedals this morning. I'm afraid I bottled and went back to my trainers./
Old 12 Aug 2020, 10:12 (Ref:3994917)   #41
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'd be up for a Mike ride.

I'm a toe clips/straps man, never liked the idea of locking my feet on!
Old 12 Aug 2020, 11:55 (Ref:3994944)   #42
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I get the importance if bike fitting. All i know is thst when i do a spin class i much prefer to have the bars slightly higher than the seat.
I can't do that on the spin bikes. My saddle is soooooo far up!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Aug 2020, 11:58 (Ref:3994945)   #43
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I'd be up for a Mike ride.

I'm a toe clips/straps man, never liked the idea of locking my feet on!
Once you've done it Joe you won't go back. Clip ons normally have a more solid sole and it transmits more power to the pedal than your soft trainers. First time I used them I took two minutes off my 10 mile TT time. It's also easier when bimbling along.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Aug 2020, 14:26 (Ref:3994973)   #44
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrong post
Old 12 Aug 2020, 16:50 (Ref:3995006)   #45
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Whilst I'm waiting for news as to whether our race at Anglesey is going ahead, I thought I'd put up some pictures of my two current rides.

First - the Holdsworth. It's my Winter bike and now has mudguards

This has been a great bike - ridden throughout the winter in all weathers. Funnily enough, it's also a great conversation piece. I've lost count of the number of drivers and cyclists who've admired it and said they had a Holdsworth in the past.

Second - the Argon 18 which was built with a lot of bits I cannibalised from another bike.

My favourite bike in nice weather.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 17:30 (Ref:3995013)   #46
Alan Morgan
Veteran

...Anglesey's not going ahead apparently (22-23 August).
Old 12 Aug 2020, 19:22 (Ref:3995025)   #47
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Seems we have serious riders here with all the right stuff. Messieurs les Anglais, chapeau bas.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 19:42 (Ref:3995027)   #48
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020170.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	4.91 MB
ID:	63460
Yep, 4 speed Sturmey Archer, front and rear suspension and a Mickey Mouse bell!
Old 12 Aug 2020, 22:35 (Ref:3995054)   #49
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never ever got sturmey archer gears to work on either of the bikes I had as a youth. Always stuck in third, no matter how much I tried (or so called experts tried) to adjust them. Always though they were a rubbish eye design compared to deraillieur.
Old 13 Aug 2020, 07:14 (Ref:3995089)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
First - the Holdsworth. It's my Winter bike and now has mudguards

This has been a great bike - ridden throughout the winter in all weathers. Funnily enough, it's also a great conversation piece. I've lost count of the number of drivers and cyclists who've admired it and said they had a Holdsworth in the past.
When I was a lad in Wandsworth two mates had Holdsworth racers. Not as sophisticated as this but it's good to know they are still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Second - the Argon 18 which was built with a lot of bits I cannibalised from another bike.

My favourite bike in nice weather.
Nice. (Also a city in France).

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Attachment 63460
Yep, 4 speed Sturmey Archer, front and rear suspension and a Mickey Mouse bell!
Good stuff. Makes me think of that TV series WA1 where the characters vie'd to own the most sophisticated Brompton..

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Never ever got sturmey archer gears to work on either of the bikes I had as a youth. Always stuck in third, no matter how much I tried (or so called experts tried) to adjust them. Always though they were a rubbish eye design compared to deraillieur.
You were lucky. We were so poor I could only have a single cog bike.