Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 16 Sep 2014, 01:42 (Ref:3453755)   #1
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WRC Rally NZ

WRC Gone forever from our shores?
I see that Australia is vying for another 3 year deal for the WRC from 2016, and moving to be the final round.
How did MNZ ever get to the position to give our round away forever.
Initially we were told by MNZ that it was difficult to obtain an event sponsor for every second year, and in light of this we gave Australia our year so they could market it for 3 consecutive years events. Then it was going to be our turn for 3 years.
Now let Raymond or someone with more wisdom and knowledge than me explain it all to me again.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 02:04 (Ref:3453760)   #2
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
I see that Australia is vying for another 3 year deal for the WRC from 2016, and moving to be the final round.
Initially we were told by MNZ that it was difficult to obtain an event sponsor for every second year, and in light of this we gave Australia our year so they could market it for 3 consecutive years events. Then it was going to be our turn for 3 years.
Now let Raymond or someone with more wisdom and knowledge than me explain it all to me again.
Start another thread? MSNZ or Rally NZ did not give it away. It was a case of not being able to afford to keep it. Simply; manufacturers don't like leaving Europe for WRC events unless they are in a market they perceive of value. They would love a round in China or USA. When you see the millions of Euros paid by new European events to be part of the WRC this year, it is a hard road back but Rally NZ (whose business this is as opposed to the Governance body) are trying hard every day to secure Govt and commercial funding. For the amount required, the market is limited. However I have suggested they look worldwide for a sponsor as the sponsor is paying for the TV time, so to me it doesn't really matter where in the world the event happens. But added to that; many of the European rounds don't seem to have a naming rights sponsor...so could be harder than I thought?
Old 16 Sep 2014, 03:06 (Ref:3453771)   #3
GT 86
Racer

GT 86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ive mentioned this before but Rally NZ some years ago was very finacial due to having some smart minded business people as directors and a good GM. They managed to bank a lot of money back when they had the likes of Propecia on board for when this time come and they couldnt find a sponsor and things got tougher. Unfortuantly a little company of not so smart business people called the Motorsport company with the blessing of MSNZ took back control of the NZRC which they would inherit that money saved for a rainy day. Unfortuantly again, that money was spent on trucks, trailers, motorhomes, the best accomodation and fine dining and when it all run out they handed back control of the NZRC to Rally NZ.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 03:31 (Ref:3453777)   #4
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 86 View Post
Ive mentioned this before but Rally NZ some years ago was very finacial due to having some smart minded business people as directors and a good GM. They managed to bank a lot of money back when they had the likes of Propecia on board for when this time come and they couldnt find a sponsor and things got tougher. Unfortuantly a little company of not so smart business people called the Motorsport company with the blessing of MSNZ took back control of the NZRC which they would inherit that money saved for a rainy day. Unfortuantly again, that money was spent on trucks, trailers, motorhomes, the best accomodation and fine dining and when it all run out they handed back control of the NZRC to Rally NZ.

Once again GT86, your source is wrong, or you are just being obstructive. When TMC run the NZRC they did not have access to Rally NZ funds. The Rally NZ funds were virtually exhausted by running the last two events with no major sponsorship. Sorry to let the truth ruin once again your ill informed criticisms
Old 16 Sep 2014, 04:04 (Ref:3453784)   #5
The Realist
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Realist

Start another thread? MSNZ or Rally NZ did not give it away. It was a case of not being able to afford to keep it. Simply; manufacturers don't like leaving Europe for WRC events unless they are in a market they perceive of value. They would love a round in China or USA. When you see the millions of Euros paid by new European events to be part of the WRC this year, it is a hard road back but Rally NZ (whose business this is as opposed to the Governance body) are trying hard every day to secure Govt and commercial funding. For the amount required, the market is limited. However I have suggested they look worldwide for a sponsor as the sponsor is paying for the TV time, so to me it doesn't really matter where in the world the event happens. But added to that; many of the European rounds don't seem to have a naming rights sponsor...so could be harder than I thought?

It doesn't appear that anyone has been looking for, or found the required sponsor.
It appears that there is now no budget for WRC as what was squirrelled away for this has been consumed.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 04:06 (Ref:3453785)   #6
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post
How about Rothmans?
Old 16 Sep 2014, 04:10 (Ref:3453786)   #7
The Realist
Racer

I've moved the WRC Rally stuff over to The Wheels Falling Off Thread, as I mistakingly posted it here.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 04:27 (Ref:3453789)   #8
GT 86
Racer

Raymond, you are incorrect There was a substantial amount handed over and it was never handed back.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 05:57 (Ref:3453799)   #9
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Raymond, you are incorrect There was a substantial amount handed over and it was never handed back.

"Raymond, you are incorrect" surely not?
Old 16 Sep 2014, 07:59 (Ref:3453816)   #10
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
"Raymond, you are incorrect" surely not?
Mature
Old 16 Sep 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3453904)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I've moved the WRC Rally stuff over to The Wheels Falling Off Thread, as I mistakingly posted it here.
And I've moved it all to it's own home. Only way to keep track of the bun fights - can't have everyone throwing different buns at the same time.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 21:34 (Ref:3454082)   #12
Bill Brown
Racer

Bill Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What a fairy tale, you should go and work for Kimdotcom!!
The only reason TMC got involved with NZRC was because its major shareholder MSNZ insisted we do so. The fact is that NZRC was not a viable promotable package for a promotions company.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 22:46 (Ref:3454110)   #13
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brown View Post
The only reason TMC got involved with NZRC was because its major shareholder MSNZ insisted we do so. The fact is that NZRC was not a viable promotable package for a promotions company.
Correct, Rally NZ wanted nothing to do with the NZRC at that time as it was non promotable. Since then however things have changed and Rally NZ are doing a good job with it.

Australia have to lodge and application for 2015, it is their last year of the three year rotational with NZ plan. They have the years 2013-14-15. If they defaulted then it is game on but until then just stay with the plan, its working

NZ is not planned for a WRC round until 2016, and that too will be for a three year rotational term with Australia.

NZ is scheduled for 2016-17-18 so we have more that a year before we need to worry our pretty little heads on here about it.

Sure it would be great if both countries were able to run every year but the way the WRC is presently structured that is nigh on impossible unless some European countries drop out of the championship all together and there is a shortage of suitable applicants
Old 16 Sep 2014, 22:58 (Ref:3454115)   #14
The Realist
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
Correct, Rally NZ wanted nothing to do with the NZRC at that time as it was non promotable. Since then however things have changed and Rally NZ are doing a good job with it.

Australia have to lodge and application for 2015, it is their last year of the three year rotational with NZ plan. They have the years 2013-14-15. If they defaulted then it is game on but until then just stay with the plan, its working

NZ is not planned for a WRC round until 2016, and that too will be for a three year rotational term with Australia.

NZ is scheduled for 2016-17-18 so we have more that a year before we need to worry our pretty little heads on here about it.

Sure it would be great if both countries were able to run every year but the way the WRC is presently structured that is nigh on impossible unless some European countries drop out of the championship all together and there is a shortage of suitable applicants
This is worth a read if you think we don't have to work on it now.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/09/16/...c-finale-slot/
Old 16 Sep 2014, 23:14 (Ref:3454119)   #15
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
This is worth a read if you think we don't have to work on it now.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/09/16/...c-finale-slot/
Anyone can throw their hat in the ring but it does not gift you a round.

To change the final round from the UK or for that matter from anywhere in Europe to Australia would take a major change to the structure of the championship but if they pulled it off and we had the NZ round prior to that then that would be magic.

Never loose sight of the fact that the WRC is run from Europe and they would be most unlikely to have the championship conclude in a country as far away as one can get from there.

PJ and the Rally NZ team have been working on the future events ever since they agreed to the rotational plan, it is just that they don't go yapping about it to the media or anyone else until they have some facts to present to them.

Last edited by Southern Man; 16 Sep 2014 at 23:19. Reason: sentence missing
Old 17 Sep 2014, 02:29 (Ref:3454161)   #16
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I can understand why European teams would not want to come here, the expense must be huge. However the same is not true of the Asia Pacific region, motorsport is gaining popularity there and we are and should be a part of that too.
Old 17 Sep 2014, 02:52 (Ref:3454168)   #17
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would much rather we had a round of the World Rallycross, it's far better to watch IMHO.
Old 17 Sep 2014, 03:04 (Ref:3454174)   #18
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I can understand why European teams would not want to come here, the expense must be huge. However the same is not true of the Asia Pacific region, motorsport is gaining popularity there and we are and should be a part of that too.
Which is why RNZ or an associate club has run a APRC round every year since the championship started in 1988, currently the event is based out of Whangarei

Rod Millen won the championship in 1989. Possum won it in 1993 and 2000 and a number of Kiwis have chased it over the years.

Have a look at the FIA website link I have attached

http://fiaaprc.com/
Old 17 Sep 2014, 08:43 (Ref:3454242)   #19
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
And just to add to that.
There is an FIA Asia Pacific Motorsport Working Group which is chaired by Morrie Chandler. It's purpose is to try to make the sport successful for al ASN's in the geographical area.
I daresay it would be like herding cats!
When you have huge memberships and countries like China and Japan and Malaysia, it does present challenges to New Zealand.

PERSONALLY; in the circuit racing arena, I like the Asian GT classes and Porsche series and think these COULD work in NZ, just a matter of money!
Old 17 Sep 2014, 18:46 (Ref:3454428)   #20
The Realist
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post
And just to add to that.
There is an FIA Asia Pacific Motorsport Working Group which is chaired by Morrie Chandler. It's purpose is to try to make the sport successful for al ASN's in the geographical area.
I daresay it would be like herding cats!
When you have huge memberships and countries like China and Japan and Malaysia, it does present challenges to New Zealand.

PERSONALLY; in the circuit racing arena, I like the Asian GT classes and Porsche series and think these COULD work in NZ, just a matter of money!
Not really a vote of confidence from head office about the WRC.
Looks like we are already relegated to APRC.
I thought that we help pay for Morrie to be there to safeguard our WRC interests, not just APRC.
Old 17 Sep 2014, 21:41 (Ref:3454487)   #21
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbutler View Post
Would much rather we had a round of the World Rallycross, it's far better to watch IMHO.
Well at least you can see everyone at once for the whole circuit...
Old 17 Sep 2014, 22:30 (Ref:3454499)   #22
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
I thought that we help pay for Morrie to be there to safeguard our WRC interests, not just APRC.

Not at all dear boy, once again you have picked up the wrong end of the stick. We have always been part of the APRC, in fact NZ along with Australia and New Caledonia were the instigators of the Championship and the other Asian countries joined in later so that we could have a truly regional championship that mirrors the ERC which is the European Rally Championship.

Initially the ERC ran their events alongside as part of the WRC events but about 25 years ago they were split into two separate events in the participating countries and ERC championship opened to all countries of Europe that wished to be included.
From this the then Pacific Championship of Australia, New Caledonia and NZ was extended and given FIA recognition as the APRC. You really need to have a look at the link that I posted earlier and have a look at the history of the APRC.

Yes, there are difficulties for smaller countries like NZ, New Caledonia, the Philippines, Malaysia and Australia for the influence of Japan, India, Indonesia, Thailand and China is strong purely based on their size of population and their financial resources but the good thing is that NZ & Australia have the credibility with these countries and are the leaders of the group.

For your info here is the WRC calendar for 2015 which has just been released.
The full APRC calendar should be released in the near future

Round Rally Date
1 Monte-Carlo 22 - 25 January
2 Sweden 12 - 15 February
3 Mexico 05 - 08 March
4 Argentina 16 - 19 April
5 Portugal 21 - 24 May
6 Italy 11 - 15 June
7 Poland 02 - 05 July
8 Finland 30 July - 02 August
9 Germany 20 - 23 August
10 Australia 10 - 13 September
11 France 01 - 04 October
12 Spain 22 - 25 October
13 Great Britain 12 - 15 November

PS. We don't pay Morrie to be there, he is an elected member of the FIA Council, this link takes you to the membership list
http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fil...omposition.pdf

Last edited by Southern Man; 17 Sep 2014 at 22:36.
Old 18 Sep 2014, 01:25 (Ref:3454531)   #23
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
Quote:
Morrie's group is to help all ASN's interest in the region including WRC, APRC etc. His focus is solely not on NZ, as he has a FIA appointed role
Old 18 Sep 2014, 02:14 (Ref:3454542)   #24
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brown View Post
So Bill when MSNZ decided to get TMC involved was there cash that came with it to promote the series that was high 6 figures?
Old 18 Sep 2014, 08:29 (Ref:3454600)   #25
GT 86
Racer

They insisted Bill cause it was going to put more money in the till but they blew it all. As well as that they blew most of the commercial relationships that come with that money, especially Subaru and Mitsubishi. They could not deal with TMC especially Geoff Shorts way of doing things. The money wasn't there to promote the series, it was there to run future WRC events. Where do you think the TMC motorhome, the little lorry, the astronomically expensive trailer come drive over start/finish ramp come from?