Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 16 May 2010, 07:35 (Ref:2691302)   #51
MESHGA
Racer

MESHGA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about doing something where the MSA cant have their say??
A bit like NASA .
Ok it couldnt be called Rallycross but Rally Racing is pritty close and it is used already in Holland
Old 16 May 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2691371)   #52
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you lose credibility perhaps. I dont know anything about rallyracing? I know they ahve autocross in Holland Belgium but I know nothing about it coz I am not interested!

I think you have to have credibility, and running rallycross events largely on the loose makes it autocross in this country, and that sport has been dead in the UK for decades!!
Old 16 May 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2691616)   #53
MESHGA
Racer

MESHGA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see your point there re credibility But how about this for a thought?

We must all agree we need lots of new blood in to the sport and maybe a cheep way ie use autograss / minicross tracks in fields to suit rallycross not just an oval with 90degree bends and other stuff,with no or very little entry fee and if need be away from the restriction of the MSA and run it as a club event as a starter for the new people and a way to incurage them to progress to the british or open championships and the obtain a MSA licence in due course.
If the sport is to go forward there needs to be a feeder series as there isnt many people around with £100000 to spare per season come to that £10000!
Its all very well and good having live TV and new one make classes but we need drivers and young ones to that!
Lets look at juniors lately. where have they all gone?
If you go to oval tracks theres always 30 + ministoxs aged between 11 and 16 years old when on the bill so why?
They race for free .
Many when 16 go on to race in f2 s or some other oval class and dont stray away from ovals!
Unlike junior rallycross many treat this class as a way to pass the time of day to they have a driving licence and go rallying to be never seen again.
Old 16 May 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2691887)   #54
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have to say I fully agree

I`m sure this is why rallycross is so strong in france - tarmac seems to be added to rallycross tracks. So they start off with more or all loose to tracks and tarmac gets added later. Then there is there sprint/autocross below as a feeder for both drivers and slightly smaller track that could be extended and developed into rallycross tracks. The they have the folcars that can end up racing in Division 4.

If tracks are dug out, and spectator banks built high enough, that seems to do away with the need for costly debris fencing.

There was once a tie up with nora and supermoto when car numbers dropped in his country. Surely a venue could be developed, to cater for all these off road classes, and the autograss boys, especially the special are very spectatular to watch.

A large shale oval for uk sprint cars, and other oval formula, that could have a tarmac extension for rallycross. Most kart circuits in the uk are longer than french rallycross circuits.

Yet in the passed rallycross has run at tarmac circuits of over 2 miles Brands, Cadwell, Snetterton where only a fraction of the tarmac race circuit is actually used.

It has to be time to stop looking at main stream race circuits as new venues.
Old 16 May 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2692006)   #55
Darren Wilcox
Rookie

Darren Wilcox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205munchkin View Post
Speaking as someone who has tested a number of cars round Teeside, including a Rallycross Supercar, I can say that there is no way you could race two supercars on that circuit! It is isnt wide enough!
Sorry to use this as a first post but that is total ********, yes it will be tight and i have also tested alsorts of cars at teeside but i also rallycrossed there in i think 85 and the events ran very well. if there is room for approx 30-40 karts I know you can fit 6-8 cars on there, knowone complains about the lack of space at Knutts corner another kart track. Give it chance.

And the paddock area is easily big enough to accommodate everybody even Mark's Bus

It is a shame about Tockwith but i'm sure it can be overcome.
Old 17 May 2010, 06:52 (Ref:2692242)   #56
Mad Mark Watson
Racer

England
barnard castle
Mad Mark Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Wilcox View Post
Sorry to use this as a first post but that is total ********, yes it will be tight and i have also tested alsorts of cars at teeside but i also rallycrossed there in i think 85 and the events ran very well. if there is room for approx 30-40 karts I know you can fit 6-8 cars on there, knowone complains about the lack of space at Knutts corner another kart track. Give it chance.

And the paddock area is easily big enough to accommodate everybody even Mark's Bus

It is a shame about Tockwith but i'm sure it can be overcome.
All true Darren
i did the first ever press day there with the pug years ago i have raced there and the xsara gets tested there with no problems at all

As you mentioned i did a 24hour kart race and bus and awning was in no problem plus many otehr large motorhomes and lorries speccies can park on roads becuase no restriction any new track that welcomes rallyx they way the economy is at the moment is a bonus so lets just help them get these tracks up and running and work on any issues that may arise.
p.s. its a motorhome ha
Old 17 May 2010, 08:50 (Ref:2692325)   #57
GM!
Rookie

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
GM! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mark Watson View Post
p.s. its a motorhome ha
Oh yes, thought you said at Nutts you were going to have a pole fitted!
Old 17 May 2010, 09:28 (Ref:2692346)   #58
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205munchkin View Post
Speaking as someone who has tested a number of cars round Teeside, including a Rallycross Supercar, I can say that there is no way you could race two supercars on that circuit! It is isnt wide enough!
If Nutts corner is anything to go by then this shouldnt be a problem!
Seriously though its something that should at least be tried, remember rallycross isnt just about supercars, and I have no problem with running less cars in heats.Just dont put joker section in though!
Old 17 May 2010, 11:45 (Ref:2692436)   #59
dangermouse606
Rookie

dangermouse606 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you have to have credibility, and running rallycross events largely on the loose makes it autocross in this country, and that sport has been dead in the UK for decades!![/QUOTE]

Chunder , i think you will find Autocross is still alive and well in this country, especially in the north east, pulling in entries of around 50 to 60 cars.
The British Autocross championship was resurected in 2008 and has has been won two years in a row by North East driver Michael Henderson, who also competed in Rallycross in Revivals in the open series 2009
Old 17 May 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2692460)   #60
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting discussion and some very well made points, particularly the ones about juniors and grass roots rallycross. Sharing facilities with the Autgrass and oval boys (and girls) makes sense, it's just finding, funding and building a venue. The bottom end of rallycross needs to be more accessable and the top needs to get to new levels, maybe then when rallycross is a bigger draw venues maybe a bit more interested. Goes back to the old chestnut though of everybody working together. I think there's great interest in the sport in the UK, you only have to look at the number of posters and how active the rallycross forum is. It's nearly as active as the BTCC and F1 forums, this is the rally and rallycross section and the majority of post are on rallycross. As to Teeside, I've done a bit of karting there and I'm not sure, but I'll be open minded and positive about it and hopefuly it'll be a success. With some development it could almost be a Euro style venue.
Old 17 May 2010, 14:19 (Ref:2692570)   #61
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed,yes rallycross is a minority sport but certainly more popular than some seem to think.Outside the BTCC how many national championships get live telly? Also the fact that 4 different series get tv highlights shows there must be some interest.

With the continued promotion & growth of the BRC crowds should grow though Lydden will probably always get the biggest.Shame they dont do a scheme here like in France where an admission wristband from 1 round often gets you a discount at another.May encourage a few to visit other circuits.
Old 17 May 2010, 18:15 (Ref:2692728)   #62
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Remember the Superprix at Croft pulled in some reasonable crowds apart from the last two years, nothing like the 90's but bigger than most club events at the track. The crowd at Mallory end of last season wasn't too shabby either. There are a hell of a lot of initiatives they could use, I think there's a lot of un tapped potential via the web as well. Can anybody tell us whether Croft is definitely out of the picture now or is there still the chance to get back on it?
Old 20 May 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2694671)   #63
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Note on the ROC website suggests all may not be lost with Tockwith. It states track and council are under taking further research and re writing the noise policy. Here's hoping, although it looks like the Masters event will not be at Tockwith regardless.
Old 21 May 2010, 16:34 (Ref:2695558)   #64
Audi S1
Racer

Audi S1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Remember the Superprix at Croft pulled in some reasonable crowds apart from the last two years, nothing like the 90's but bigger than most club events at the track. The crowd at Mallory end of last season wasn't too shabby either. There are a hell of a lot of initiatives they could use, I think there's a lot of un tapped potential via the web as well. Can anybody tell us whether Croft is definitely out of the picture now or is there still the chance to get back on it?
Croft: There is always the chance that Croft will be back on the calender if organiser's are willing to pay the appropriate circuit hire fee similar to other forms of motorsport
Old 21 May 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2695560)   #65
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Over to the organisers then! Depends how confident/committed they are in promoting the events I suppose. As it's BARC run it can't be more than Mallory or Pembrey? Or is it due to lack of dates.
Old 21 May 2010, 18:06 (Ref:2695599)   #66
GM!
Rookie

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
GM! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Over to the organisers then! Depends how confident/committed they are in promoting the events I suppose. As it's BARC run it can't be more than Mallory or Pembrey? Or is it due to lack of dates.
Wish it were that simple but like everything in life, it isn't! Here's my understanding:

- Only a certain number of events can be held at Croft in a year.

- It is pretty well booked up at the moment but if a date fell through then Rallycross might get a lookin.

- The tarmac has to be cleaned after a Rallycross event meaning that you very probably can't use the race circuit immediately the next day. Back to available dates and cost. Also, because of this, my personal view is how many established race circuits really want to play host to Rallycross?

I'm sure there is still a chance that Rallycross will take place at Croft but only when all the factors come together. The news at the end of last year was 'no more Rallycross at Croft' so organisers had to look for alternatives but it was a bit late in the day, even then, to quickly find a suitable one. Likewise, Tockwith may happen in time. The problem for the Open championship this year has been the availability of suitable venues on suitable dates at short notice.

PS - Don't forget Round 2 of the Fuchs Lubricants Rallycross Open Championship from Nutts Corner at 22.00 on Eurosport 2 tomorrow night (Saturday). Which reminds me, there was a petition going round for signing at Nutts re. a noise issue - it's happening everywhere.
Old 22 May 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2695953)   #67
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to the rallysprint course at Silverstone? Is it still there? I saw a few pics taken some years ago with it all overgrown, but mostly intact, but don't know if it's been lost in changes over the last few years.

Could that be used in any way?
Old 22 May 2010, 17:32 (Ref:2696042)   #68
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turned into a tarmac driver training area.
Old 23 May 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2696614)   #69
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM! View Post
Wish it were that simple but like everything in life, it isn't! Here's my understanding:

- Only a certain number of events can be held at Croft in a year.

- It is pretty well booked up at the moment but if a date fell through then Rallycross might get a lookin.

- The tarmac has to be cleaned after a Rallycross event meaning that you very probably can't use the race circuit immediately the next day. Back to available dates and cost. Also, because of this, my personal view is how many established race circuits really want to play host to Rallycross?

I'm sure there is still a chance that Rallycross will take place at Croft but only when all the factors come together. The news at the end of last year was 'no more Rallycross at Croft' so organisers had to look for alternatives but it was a bit late in the day, even then, to quickly find a suitable one. Likewise, Tockwith may happen in time. The problem for the Open championship this year has been the availability of suitable venues on suitable dates at short notice.

PS - Don't forget Round 2 of the Fuchs Lubricants Rallycross Open Championship from Nutts Corner at 22.00 on Eurosport 2 tomorrow night (Saturday). Which reminds me, there was a petition going round for signing at Nutts re. a noise issue - it's happening everywhere.
Oh well here's hoping, as the event today wasn't on I watched the Nutts Corner coverage on sky plus. Really well put together and some great racing in the Super Nationals.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2721520)   #70
rally247
Rookie

rally247 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To all

If anyone has any ideas on possible venues please let me know i would love to develop one myself !
Time to start researching old ww2 air fields, lots have been pulled up but there must be some left !
Old 3 Jul 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2721522)   #71
rally247
Rookie

rally247 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To all

If anyone has any ideas on possible venues please let me know i would love to develop one myself !
Quote:
Originally Posted by rally247 View Post
Time to start researching old ww2 air fields, lots have been pulled up but there must be some left !
Check the ones near you !
www.anti-aircraft.co.uk
Old 4 Jul 2010, 01:04 (Ref:2721613)   #72
M.Lowe
Veteran

M.Lowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A shame Barford Camp couldn't be developed for Rallycross.
Used to love watching rallies there
Do they still run stockcars on that land?
Old 4 Jul 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2721846)   #73
dougcross70's
Rookie

United Kingdom
N Yorks
dougcross70's should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes stock cars still operational at Barford, haven't been to the track myself so don't know if there is much space there, perhaps Mad Mark can enlighten us as its just down the road from his location.
Old 5 Jul 2010, 09:12 (Ref:2722068)   #74
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't been for a couple of years, but IIRC space would not be a problem. Although a lot of landscaping would be required, buildings to demolish, trees to remove etc, and the usual problems of noise and access would probably be an issue.

To succeed any new rallycross venue would probably have to be constructed at a current race curcuit (Anglesey anyone?), or in the middle of nowhere.
There is a 1000 acre former MoD base in these parts currently up for sale that would fit the bill. One of the interested party's is a certain Mr Malcolm Wilson. If he is successful in his bid, maybe he could be approached to see if when he redevelops the site maybe a rallycross facility could be Incorporated.
Old 5 Jul 2010, 11:40 (Ref:2722106)   #75
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Where abouts in the country are we talking? I'm assuming Cumbria area due to Malcolm Wilson's involvement.