Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 23 Sep 2001, 23:18 (Ref:150049)   #1
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RMS Ticket Prices

All you that are moaning about the ticket Prices for the Rockingham 500 do a bit of comparison shopping!!

For General Admission and a Grand Stand seat for the British GP will cost at least £150 and you will be only able to see a fairly small section of track.

so 85 quid for RMS is pretty good VFM..
Old 24 Sep 2001, 10:06 (Ref:150190)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Compared with the £10 I spent for a day at Silverstone on Saturday, with 10 races and 220 entrants, with access everywhere - no, not really terribly good value to be honest!

Or compared with £32 for 24 hours of racing at Le Mans, for another example...

But then I wouldn't have spent the money on a ticket at the GP, either, so perhaps you have a point.
Old 24 Sep 2001, 11:11 (Ref:150206)   #3
rlinter
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
But then I wouldn't have spent the money on a ticket at the GP, either, so perhaps you have a point.
You have to compare CART with F1 not a clubby meet. Even at Le Mans as you say 32 to get in but then a grand stand in another 40+ and U can only see a small portion of the track.
Old 24 Sep 2001, 11:11 (Ref:150207)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering I paid 63 GBP for a three day ticket to the Molson Indy Toronto, , including paddock access and one of the best grandstands, and I didn't have to buy a round trip air ticket and three days of hotel rooms, I'd say those ticket prices are an outrage.

Even in Fontana I didn't pay that much and that is on the other side of the continent in another country.
Old 24 Sep 2001, 11:37 (Ref:150223)   #5
rlinter
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Considering I paid 63 GBP for a three day ticket to the Molson Indy Toronto, , including paddock access and one of the best grandstands, and I didn't have to buy a round trip air ticket and three days of hotel rooms, I'd say those ticket prices are an outrage.

Even in Fontana I didn't pay that much and that is on the other side of the continent in another country.
From a rumor going round the media centre a LARGE part of the ticket price was insurance - I heard as much as 20 quid of the price.

Everything here is expensive when compared to the rest of the world - thats why there was the rip-off britian campaign running in some of the main stream media last year.
Old 24 Sep 2001, 14:31 (Ref:150303)   #6
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race we had I think that was £100 well spent, can't wait for CART to come back next year cos i'll definetely be there.
And i've never been a fan of NASCAR but if thats what all american racing is about then I want the Winston Cup to come to the UK now.
The only thing was £2.60 for a pint! I'll bring my own beer thanks all the same!
Old 24 Sep 2001, 14:36 (Ref:150305)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by rlinter
Even at Le Mans as you say 32 to get in but then a grand stand in another 40+ and U can only see a small portion of the track.
Yeah, but you have 24 hours to see the whole circuit. You also have 24 hours of racing. The grandstand will provide you with a giant TV to watch the rest of the circuit.
Old 24 Sep 2001, 14:57 (Ref:150316)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Again, the grandstand thing is a bit of a red herring. I don't think I've paid for a tribune seat in my entire life. I know it's nothing but grandstands at Rockingham, but how does it work? Do you have an allocated seat number, or could you potter about and spectate from wherever you found a chair?

I know it might seem silly comparing a ChampCar race with a Silverstone clubbie, but as the two events were going on thirty miles apart from one another, on the same afternoon, I have to ask myself was the Rockingham event eight times more fun than the club race, or even eight times more prestigious. For my money it wasn't.

Don't get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoy oval racing - it's just that I really think Rockingham is making a mistake pitching it against Formula 1 in terms of price/value.
Old 24 Sep 2001, 15:05 (Ref:150321)   #9
rlinter
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
Again, the grandstand thing is a bit of a red herring. I don't think I've paid for a tribune seat in my entire life. I know it's nothing but grandstands at Rockingham, but how does it work? Do you have an allocated seat number, or could you potter about and spectate from wherever you found a chair?
Allocated Seating I believe with >95% of the track visible.
Old 24 Sep 2001, 15:23 (Ref:150327)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I agree with both sides to a degree here. I feel that the prices that were charged were probably justified for the entertainment that was (read should have been) on offer but I do feel that they made a mistake by charging this amount without a real fan base in the UK. If they'd have charged say 30 or 40 quid a seat then they would have had a capacity crowd who would have loved every moment, gone home and told their friends all about it, and then returned next year... at which time they could hike the prices accordingly and/or install grandstands around the rest of the oval.

Although I have enjoyed certain club racing meetings just as much for the racing they put on, I feel that it is worth paying out for something a little more once or twice a year... Le Mans springs to mind, and now so does the Rockingham 500...
Old 24 Sep 2001, 19:20 (Ref:150502)   #11
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've done the British GP on numberous occassions in the past and it usually goes down as the one big meeting I attend each year. This year, I decided that the big one was going to be Rockingham and whilst it was expensive I thought it would be something pretty impressive to see. I'll admit that after Thursday things were not looking good, but the race itself was well worth paying for.
I think that people will have a good opinion of the race itself, but that the overall organisation left a lot to be desired and people will also be talking about that. One of the major issues has to be the dropping of the ticket price at the last minute. That will have annoyed a lot of people, it's certainly annoyed me. I paid full price when I booked my ticket at the back end of last year and so it seemed some sort of insult to get a leaflet through the post last week saying tickets were available for £25.
Seating was supposed to be on an allocated basis, but I never saw anyone actually checking tickets in the grandstands and when I went to my seat there was someone in it and people sat around, so I opted for watching from the pit roof instead.
Old 24 Sep 2001, 20:42 (Ref:150593)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Toronto people sit anywhere on Friday and Saturday but they sit in their seats on Sunday. Except for a few crybabies who insist on sitting in THEIR seat even if the rest of the grandstand is empty and you can actually see better from somewhere else. I have seen grownups get almost hysterical on occasion.

It'll be interesting to see what improvements or changes they make. Did they give you a survey on your way out? We had one at Fontana, but of course in the circumstances most of us didn't feel like filling it out.
Old 24 Sep 2001, 21:16 (Ref:150629)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no survey (everyone was too busy trying to sort the traffic out), but i reckon a lot of people will be getting one in the post.

everyone had a seat allocated at least for sunday. someone got rowdy with me once for sitting in their seat (while there were free seats around us..).

the seats were benches, which gave one a rather numb arse.

from the upper tiers of the grandstands you can see pretty much everything. i got very dizzy by the end of the race... and where to look?
Old 27 Sep 2001, 12:51 (Ref:152043)   #14
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Indy for the GP basic entry for qualifying is US$ 20 (under £ 15) and the best seats are under £ 100 on race day with most costing £ 50

As the saying goes : go figure
Old 27 Sep 2001, 16:25 (Ref:152126)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Supply and Demand, that is. Indy is way far from being sold out. Especially with the "circumstances" in the USA right now. TG is undoubtedly willing to do anything he can to put seats in the seats to avoid embarrassment on world wide television.