Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 5 Mar 2014, 08:53 (Ref:3375262)   #276
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Challenge Cup has officially been disbanded. What now for V8 SuperTourers? It appears there will only be one supporting class for the forthcoming round, and a few SsangYongs doing demo laps.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 09:32 (Ref:3375283)   #277
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would the disbanding of V8C have any bearing on V8ST? Not sure on the supports info but would be surprised if only 2 of them are at the next round.

Who's coming back for the next round? Booth? Tasman?
Old 5 Mar 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3375292)   #278
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Has everyone given up and gone to Speedway? I recall seeing Daynom Templeman at Western Springs some years ago when he had been driving an NZV8 back in its heyday - seemed to be enjoying himself more at Speedway though!

Hah - Daynom is another D1NZ convert, been competing in Formula D Asia as well.

Why V8ST choose to run a Pukekohe Event right before another is beyond me. Flag one and save the money IMO.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 19:35 (Ref:3375463)   #279
Racetroll
Rookie

Racetroll should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Why would the disbanding of V8C have any bearing on V8ST? Not sure on the supports info but would be surprised if only 2 of them are at the next round.

Who's coming back for the next round? Booth? Tasman?
Nope Biggy, everything I'm hearing tells me 2 classes. Utes and V8ST.

Running the same weekend 9 IRC classes are running at Hampton Downs.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 20:08 (Ref:3375483)   #280
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racetroll View Post
Nope Biggy, everything I'm hearing tells me 2 classes. Utes and V8ST.

Running the same weekend 9 IRC classes are running at Hampton Downs.
Seems silly to run them on the same weekend - trouble is that ST have not had an event "of their own" this year. Nobody will want to go to see an event with only 2 classes running and I'm pretty sure they will be well aware of that, although what the team owners want and what Mr Noonan wants may well be two different things.

Mark might be able to enlighten us on what other classes might run at the ST Puke event?
Old 5 Mar 2014, 23:34 (Ref:3375557)   #281
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Seems silly to run them on the same weekend - trouble is that ST have not had an event "of their own" this year. Nobody will want to go to see an event with only 2 classes running and I'm pretty sure they will be well aware of that, although what the team owners want and what Mr Noonan wants may well be two different things.

Mark might be able to enlighten us on what other classes might run at the ST Puke event?
I also cant see anybody wanting to see an event with just 2 classes, ESPECIALLY if those classes only have a dozen cars each!!!

Are there any decent classes left?????? I mean if Hampton have 9 classes what else is there, especially considering most series have lodged & confirmed their series calendars well before now...
Old 6 Mar 2014, 02:21 (Ref:3375597)   #282
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
ST should become part of IRC - would fit quite nicely in many ways
Old 6 Mar 2014, 03:42 (Ref:3375610)   #283
isoskim
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
isoskim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
ST should become part of IRC - would fit quite nicely in many ways
But why would the IRC want that? ST don't fit in with the rest of their classes and competitors. No point of involving the circus in something which doesn't really have a hell of a lot wrong with it IMO.

Their meetings are already pretty full anyway. Knowing a few of the guys involved, I doubt they would want anything to do with V8ST, or NZV8TC to be fair.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 20:39 (Ref:3375906)   #284
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoskim View Post
But why would the IRC want that? ST don't fit in with the rest of their classes and competitors. No point of involving the circus in something which doesn't really have a hell of a lot wrong with it IMO.

Their meetings are already pretty full anyway. Knowing a few of the guys involved, I doubt they would want anything to do with V8ST, or NZV8TC to be fair.
Isn't this attitude part of what's wrong with circuit racing in NZ?

"ST don't fit in with the rest of their classes and competitors"

"I doubt they would want anything to do with V8ST"

Really?? That makes IRC sound like a prickly bunch to me then. If a group of grown men can't get over themselves and put an end to this fragmented nonsense we have at the moment, we're doomed.

Get together and get organised! Put on a huge show with a packed schedule with variety (something for everyone) and give the fans a reason to turn up again. Have all classes and other parties involved contribute to "some" TV coverage so the sponsors see value and a reason to return to motorsport (big crowds, a good event and quality exposure).
Old 6 Mar 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3375928)   #285
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Isn't this attitude part of what's wrong with circuit racing in NZ?
To be fair, it's a similar problem as we've had over here for years. Not at the top level, but the club end where everyone wants to play on their own terms. It means racing seems healthy looked at from the outside with lots of classes, series and championships, yet the vast majority are undersupported and provide thin grids. What's needed is a strong MSA to force people to amalgamate and run for the overall good of the sport. We've got one which is pretty ineffective at that, but yours seems to be keen to take things even further in the opposite direction.

It would be good if everyone could dump their egos and look for ways to work together, but I realise that's a sentence which is pretty much redundant in motorsport.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 04:17 (Ref:3376010)   #286
blizard
Rookie

blizard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don’t think it is simply bad attitudes in relation to the given V8ST – IRC scenario. Just different priorities and perspectives. IMHO many in IRC wouldn’t mind at all if V8ST were on the same card – if they could integrate in seamlessly. I would assume many in IRC want a semi relaxing weekend of racing and all things being equal. They probably want equal share and unbiased access to pit garages, equal practice time on the Friday and fair (not necessarily equal) race time on track. V8ST is serious business though and may want the pit lane to themselves, pit walks, podium presentations, grid walks and all their trucks in the way etc. And this is fine (I always watch V8SC podiums to see the reactions/body language/emotion etc). But it may not necessarily mix well with other competitors wanting to enjoy their racing and the environment provided. Just a thought.

So it might need to be a bit more egalitarian. With a democratic governing body, if you like - they always work
Old 7 Mar 2014, 05:33 (Ref:3376022)   #287
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
What's needed is a strong MSA to force people to amalgamate and run for the overall good of the sport. We've got one which is pretty ineffective at that, but yours seems to be keen to take things even further in the opposite direction.

It would be good if everyone could dump their egos and look for ways to work together, but I realise that's a sentence which is pretty much redundant in motorsport.
Exactly what I posted in the small grids thread, amalgamate classes with low numbers & speed up the meetings. Thats the easy bit!!

As for dumping the ego's.... Hahaha, wishful thinking
Old 9 Mar 2014, 20:04 (Ref:3376809)   #288
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8STs

Eric's article in the 8/3/14 Driven. I agree with most of what is written there.

The v8s are like watching what happened to the Formula Atlantic/ Pacifics and then the Formula Holdens.
Who would be best to mediate between the STs and NZ's?
What happens when Commodores and Falcons are no longer sold in NZ?
Old 9 Mar 2014, 20:55 (Ref:3376821)   #289
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOGH View Post
What happens when Commodores and Falcons are no longer sold in NZ?
Relatively easy fix for platform racing like V8SC, ST and NZV8TC - just like putting an updated body shell for the new model I would have thought. Since all similarity to the real McCoy ends there I would not have thought much more was needed.

Whether public are still interested in V8 racing by then is a different story, but petrol heads live a long time as the petrol preseves them.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 06:08 (Ref:3376944)   #290
GT 86
Racer

GT 86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like tension is building between V8ST and MSNZ re a facebook post tonight. Im not sure whats going on behind the scenes but seems V8ST have had enough of biting their tongue.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 07:06 (Ref:3376957)   #291
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 86 View Post
Looks like tension is building between V8ST and MSNZ re a facebook post tonight. Im not sure whats going on behind the scenes but seems V8ST have had enough of biting their tongue.
Biting their tongues???
If you are referring to a facebook post by me; that is MY OPINON, not that of MSNZ.
V8ST have never bitten their tongues when it comes to voicing an opinion, especially if it is one that appeals to public support. Having said that; I would expect that from any commercial promotion entity. The postion between V8ST and MSNZ has not changed as far as I am concerned. V8ST have applied for sanctioned series status and got it. MSNZ provided the platform for V8ST and NZV8 to run on the same programme at the Grand Prix. SO no daggers have been drawn from either side as far as I know....I cant feel a stabbing pain in my back as yet..
Old 16 Mar 2014, 09:49 (Ref:3380453)   #292
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Locking forward to next weekend, even if I won't be attending in person. Sounds like a few more cars out than at the last round, plus good practice for April V8SC meeting. haven't seen a timetable for either meeting as yet, I am guessing its a two day meeting on the 23rd?
Old 17 Mar 2014, 03:07 (Ref:3380917)   #293
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post
Sounds like a few more cars out than at the last round, plus good practice for April V8SC meeting. haven't seen a timetable for either meeting as yet, I am guessing its a two day meeting on the 23rd?
Angus Fogg makes his return after missing round two. Andrew Waite is returning, but I'm not sure whether he's driving the IMS or Tasman car. Other than that there are no returnee's, despite rumors of Andy Booth coming back for this round.

The time table has been released with the addition of a time attack class, which has no affiliation to the NZ Superlap Series. The four SsangYong race utes will be doing two demonstrations on the Sunday as well as a couple of practice sessions on Saturday.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 03:52 (Ref:3380919)   #294
pukekoheracer
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20b View Post
Angus Fogg makes his return after missing round two. Andrew Waite is returning, but I'm not sure whether he's driving the IMS or Tasman car. Other than that there are no returnee's, despite rumors of Andy Booth coming back for this round.

The time table has been released with the addition of a time attack class, which has no affiliation to the NZ Superlap Series. The four SsangYong race utes will be doing two demonstrations on the Sunday as well as a couple of practice sessions on Saturday.
I see a timetable has all three races on Sunday.

I did hear and ex V8SC driver was going to be in the 2nd IMS but that was a few weeks ago so maybe things have changed.

I am pretty sure Booth will be out. No McLaughlin of course, off on a trip with his new Swedish Friends.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 07:57 (Ref:3380952)   #295
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Why is Boothy out?
Old 17 Mar 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3380959)   #296
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why is Boothy out?

Really simple GB, no sponsorship monies to pay the bills!
Old 17 Mar 2014, 08:43 (Ref:3380968)   #297
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20b View Post

are the ticket prices still the same?
Old 17 Mar 2014, 16:12 (Ref:3381099)   #298
pukekoheracer
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
are the ticket prices still the same?
My Radio tells me $40 for 2 Adults plus Kids,seems pretty good to me, and Bring your own food and have a picnic. Seems better than taking your chance on the Circuit stuff
Old 17 Mar 2014, 20:49 (Ref:3381223)   #299
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Really simple GB, no sponsorship monies to pay the bills!
Boy, it's a tough old world out there in motorsport land, seems even worse this year

This would be the first time since I can recall that he hasn't been out there racing something or other. And the Reserve Bank tells us the economy is so good they have to raise interest rates...
Old 17 Mar 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3381252)   #300
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post
My Radio tells me $40 for 2 Adults plus Kids,seems pretty good to me, and Bring your own food and have a picnic. Seems better than taking your chance on the Circuit stuff
yeah.. that's not too bad these days