Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest F1 driver?
Lewis Hamilton 22 22.00%
Michael Schumacher 11 11.00%
Juan Manuel Fangio 6 6.00%
Alain Prost 7 7.00%
Ayrton Senna 22 22.00%
Jackie Stewart 0 0%
Jim Clark 17 17.00%
Alberto Ascari 0 0%
Fernando Alonso 1 1.00%
Niki Lauda 3 3.00%
Stirling Moss 2 2.00%
Sebastian Vettel 0 0%
Nigel Mansell 1 1.00%
Nelson Piquet 0 0%
James Hunt 0 0%
Mika Hakkinen 0 0%
Giles Villeneuve 2 2.00%
Max Verstappen 0 0%
Nico Rosberg 0 0%
Jack Brabham 4 4.00%
Carlos Reutemann 0 0%
Jochen Rindt 0 0%
Ronnie Peterson 1 1.00%
Kimi Raikkonen 1 1.00%
Graham Hill 0 0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Sep 2022, 13:54 (Ref:4127850)   #526
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good comparison between Michael's 95 season and Max this season, although the main difference is Max had the best car, whereas Schumacher did it despite the Williams being faster than his Benetton
Old 29 Sep 2022, 14:52 (Ref:4127861)   #527
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Good comparison between Michael's 95 season and Max this season, although the main difference is Max had the best car, whereas Schumacher did it despite the Williams being faster than his Benetton

In '95, the Williams drivers took a total of 12 poles, 7 from Hill and 5 from Coulthard. Schumacher took 4. However when it came to actual racing, Schumacher had 8 fastest laps to Hill's 4 and Coulthard's 2.
Old 29 Sep 2022, 15:49 (Ref:4127871)   #528
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Norris has chimed in with a comment about Verstappen being one of the most talented ever: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...5fXc8q4gj.html

Time will tell if he can reign in some of the excesses and refine some aspects of his racecraft to become one of the greatest, but I think Lando has a point. He stacks up very well on pure ability. At least this year, he is looking much more like earning the championship compared to in 2021.

Verstappen's 2022 reminds me of Schumacher's 1995. Following a controversial first championship win, he truly cements his right to a title the following year with a more crushing and also more deserving display.
I admire Norris' driving , and respect his view of Verstappen . But he'd be a very , very unusual 22 year old , driver or not, for me to respect his opinion on earlier eras . We all suffer from 'chronological superiority' , patronising the past as if nothing or nobody could ever have been as good then as their modern equivalents.

We might see signs of this in the comments - 'drivers in the past didn't cope with 5 g loadings ' for example . Quite true , but why do we think they couldn't have coped with the challenge had it faced them ? We seem to assume (rightly , I think ) that Hamilton and Verstappen could have coped with Grands Prix that were over twice as long , with no power steering , no trick diffs and the need to heel and toe a recalcitrant manual gearbox . Could Ascari have coped with the scores of controls and radio dialogue ? Could Norris cope psychologically with losing the odd team mate to death or horrendous injury?

Or could Innes Ireland deal with the PR gigs now required - I think I know the answer to that one..
Old 30 Sep 2022, 01:11 (Ref:4127896)   #529
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
In '95, the Williams drivers took a total of 12 poles, 7 from Hill and 5 from Coulthard. Schumacher took 4. However when it came to actual racing, Schumacher had 8 fastest laps to Hill's 4 and Coulthard's 2.
Sounds similar to Ferrari's Saturdays vs Red Bull's Sundays then
Old 30 Sep 2022, 07:42 (Ref:4127911)   #530
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Many say as a driver Lewis is the GOAT
All i know that is in choosing what to wear he is the WOAT
Old 30 Sep 2022, 08:42 (Ref:4127919)   #531
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That's because Michael knew when to bang in the quick laps during the refuelling era. Williams were also not as good as Benetton during pitstops, but that's not the full story of why Michael was ahead
Old 30 Sep 2022, 08:49 (Ref:4127924)   #532
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I admire Norris' driving , and respect his view of Verstappen . But he'd be a very , very unusual 22 year old , driver or not, for me to respect his opinion on earlier eras . We all suffer from 'chronological superiority' , patronising the past as if nothing or nobody could ever have been as good then as their modern equivalents.

We might see signs of this in the comments - 'drivers in the past didn't cope with 5 g loadings ' for example . Quite true , but why do we think they couldn't have coped with the challenge had it faced them ? We seem to assume (rightly , I think ) that Hamilton and Verstappen could have coped with Grands Prix that were over twice as long , with no power steering , no trick diffs and the need to heel and toe a recalcitrant manual gearbox . Could Ascari have coped with the scores of controls and radio dialogue ? Could Norris cope psychologically with losing the odd team mate to death or horrendous injury?

Or could Innes Ireland deal with the PR gigs now required - I think I know the answer to that one..
Is not about drivers from a different era could not cope with today's racing environment and that today's drivers could not cope with the demands of the past. I am sure the greatest would have been great in any era had they been a contemporary of that era.

The comments about coping with 5g forces and other elements specific to this era is to point that modern drivers also have to deal with difficulties as some fans seem to paint their efforts negatively in comparison with the efforts of drivers past

The world has changed a lot over last 70 years including our values and technology. So comparing past and present is a bit futile I think as everything is so much different
Old 30 Sep 2022, 09:37 (Ref:4127930)   #533
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's a tricky one to judge. I'm not certain the Williams was a lot faster. Having said that, Hill and Coulthard were more evenly-matched drivers than Schumacher and Herbert, but Schumacher was clearly the fastest of the lot of them. Herbert scored but 4 podiums that season (two wins, a second and a third).

I like the parallel drawn with this year's Ferrari, arguably quicker than the Red Bull. And Verstappen is Schumacher to Pérez's Herbert.
Old 1 Oct 2022, 12:47 (Ref:4128067)   #534
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who really thinks this year‘s Ferrari is truly quicker than the Red Bull? Apart from the first 4-5 races, the Red Bull was clearly the faster car over the weekend.
Old 1 Oct 2022, 12:58 (Ref:4128068)   #535
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Many say as a driver Lewis is the GOAT
All i know that is in choosing what to wear he is the WOAT
That was a lot funnier in your head than it is on the page ,
Old 5 Oct 2022, 10:17 (Ref:4128739)   #536
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The Williams was faster but broke more. Coulthard alone was cost wins in Argentina, Monza and Spa from car failures. Damon lost some too.

Overall the Benetton was a better car. Just not a faster one.
Old 5 Oct 2022, 11:07 (Ref:4128742)   #537
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The Williams was faster but broke more. Coulthard alone was cost wins in Argentina, Monza and Spa from car failures. Damon lost some too.

Damon though threw away quite a few races through errors
Old 6 Oct 2022, 21:56 (Ref:4128936)   #538
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

I look at it as if Senna was in the FW17 would there have been much to discuss?

Damon was circa 1sec a lap off Ayrton's pace in the 16 in the early part of '94. The gap may have narrowed as the year went on. However the 17 was clearly a better car than the B195.
Old 7 Oct 2022, 07:04 (Ref:4128971)   #539
S griffin
Veteran

Yes I agree Senna, provided he still had it in him, would have probably won the title. He wouldn't have made the mistakes Damon and David did. Of course he might have been let down at times by Williams strategy, but would have made up for it other times
Old 12 Oct 2022, 14:09 (Ref:4130030)   #540
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Some of posts are comical.
Stewart in front of Clark . Not serious
How do you sort Schumacher, Senna, Hamilton and The boy Max
You can do it in decades and overall it’s just opinion and as most keyboard warriors have only played with F1 in last four years and obviously think all history is bunk.
The present situation mirrors that between Brabham/ Moss, Prost/Senna, Vettle/Hamilton,Mansell/Piquet, Prost/Senna etc.
History is the judge but only if people look at history as a whole
Number of GP’s, Laps covered, Mechanical problems.
It started in 1950 but there were very handy drivers in 30’s
Old 13 Oct 2022, 07:23 (Ref:4130097)   #541
S griffin
Veteran

I don't see what's wrong with putting Stewart in front of Clark. Both were the top drivers of their era and would make a place in my top 5 of all time. I feel Stewart was even more complete than Clark to be fair
Old 13 Oct 2022, 07:56 (Ref:4130100)   #542
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I don't see what's wrong with putting Stewart in front of Clark. Both were the top drivers of their era and would make a place in my top 5 of all time. I feel Stewart was even more complete than Clark to be fair
Interesting! Stewart puts Clark in front of Stewart so think he knows something.!
Clark could drive anything and dominated in all types of cars
Old 13 Oct 2022, 12:56 (Ref:4130121)   #543
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Why do you say Stewart was more complete than Clark? I would say Clark was as fast as Senna and as smooth as Prost. What do you think he was missing?

A bit like how Senna’s death denied Formula 1 a few years of Senna vs Schumacher in the championship battles, Clark’s death prevented a potential six years of Clark vs Stewart in the championship.

As a result, neither ever really fought another true ‘GOAT’ contender in Formula 1, and neither did Schumacher. Senna and Prost obviously raced each other, while Prost competed also against Lauda, although in his comeback. Hamilton has raced Alonso and Verstappen, while Fangio competed with Ascari and Moss. The 1950s may have had generally weaker drivers, but Fangio’s main rivals were probably stronger than all the other top drivers bar Senna and Prost.
Old 14 Oct 2022, 09:23 (Ref:4130214)   #544
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Interesting! Stewart puts Clark in front of Stewart so think he knows something.!
Clark could drive anything and dominated in all types of cars
Stewart maybe is just being modest. You're right though that Clark was a great all rounder. Stewart was more calculating though. So to be fair it's very hard to separate them. As I said they would both make my top 5
Old 14 Oct 2022, 23:30 (Ref:4130318)   #545
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Why do you say Stewart was more complete than Clark? I would say Clark was as fast as Senna and as smooth as Prost. What do you think he was missing?

A bit like how Senna’s death denied Formula 1 a few years of Senna vs Schumacher in the championship battles, Clark’s death prevented a potential six years of Clark vs Stewart in the championship.

As a result, neither ever really fought another true ‘GOAT’ contender in Formula 1, and neither did Schumacher. Senna and Prost obviously raced each other, while Prost competed also against Lauda, although in his comeback. Hamilton has raced Alonso and Verstappen, while Fangio competed with Ascari and Moss. The 1950s may have had generally weaker drivers, but Fangio’s main rivals were probably stronger than all the other top drivers bar Senna and Prost.
Stewart faced Rindt, Fittipaldi.
Both were major rivals of his.

Schumacher faced Alonso before Hamilton did..
Old 15 Oct 2022, 05:51 (Ref:4130347)   #546
S griffin
Veteran

After Clark died, Rindt was the only one who could really take on Stewart. Fittipaldi could too, but good as Emmo was, the Lotus was probably the best car between 72-73.
Old 15 Oct 2022, 09:08 (Ref:4130353)   #547
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
So could Jackie Ickx ... if not as often as I'd have liked , thanks to the Maranello comic opera .
Old 15 Oct 2022, 16:40 (Ref:4130398)   #548
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Jochen Rindt, Emerson Fittipaldi and Jacky Ickx were all, indeed, outstanding drivers (Rindt outqualified reigning champion Graham Hill at every race in 1969). But I don't think they were as strong as Alberto Ascari and Stirling Moss, for example, Fangio's main opponents. Similarly, Clark's strongest opponents, Graham Hill, John Surtees, Dan Gurney and Jack Brabham, weren't as strong as those from some other eras. Schumacher only faced Alonso really in 2006, and I don't think this was peak Schumacher.

In terms of who had the strongest rivals of the main contenders at their peaks, I would suggest it would rank:
1. Prost (Senna, Lauda, Piquet, Mansell)
2. Senna (Prost, Mansell, Piquet)
3. Fangio (Ascari, Moss, Farina)
4. Hamilton (Verstappen, Alonso, Vettel)
5. Stewart (Rindt, Fittipaldi, Ickx)
6. Clark (Hill, Surtees, Gurney)
7. Schumacher (Hakkinen, Hill, Villeneuve, possibly Alonso)

And it is a shame that Clark and Stewart couldn't have raced each other once Stewart had reached his peak. They could have had an amazing title battle in 1969. Similarly, Senna and Schumacher were never able to fight each other for the championship between 1994 and 1997 as they could have done.

It makes Prost's four titles look particularly impressive, but obviously this doesn't suggest this should be the ranking of the drivers because Schumacher and Clark were the most obviously better than any other driver of their eras.
Old 16 Oct 2022, 07:45 (Ref:4130474)   #549
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
So could Jackie Ickx ... if not as often as I'd have liked , thanks to the Maranello comic opera .
True, although Jacky by his own admission, wasn't quite as dedicated as JYS. He preferred to do all his work on the track.
Old 17 Oct 2022, 15:54 (Ref:4130614)   #550
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One interesting fact about Jim Clark, compared to the other drivers who could arguably be the GOAT, e.g. Hamilton, Prost, Schumacher and Senna, is he never won Monaco. His best result was 4th in 1964. However, he took pole four times, in '62, '63, 64 and '66.

Monaco is considered the jewel in F1's crown and is the one race I think every driver wants to win and looking at those who have won, a good many are considered Formula 1 greats and have won it multiple times. For example Jackie Stewart won it thrice, 1966, '71 and '73. Two times WDC Graham Hill won Monaco 5 times, a record that was held until 1993, when Senna won it for a 6th time.