Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 29 Sep 2022, 15:10 (Ref:4127866)   #51
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
There's also a clash between WEC at Monza, IMSA at Mosport Park, and F1 at Silverstone. Likewise, moving Monza one week later would avoid any clashes.
Old 29 Sep 2022, 15:16 (Ref:4127867)   #52
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
WEC also needs to work alongside ELMS, which is at Barcelona and Imola either side of WEC’s Spa weekend and at Le Castellet the week after WEC is at Monza.

Edited to add: when F1 has 24 races, there’s no point even trying to avoid clashes, other than Le Mans. IMSA clashes are more of a shame, but the overlap in personnel and drivers with ELMS and even GTWC is probably greater.

Last edited by Anyopenroad; 29 Sep 2022 at 15:40.
Old 29 Sep 2022, 15:38 (Ref:4127870)   #53
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
There's also a clash between WEC at Monza, IMSA at Mosport Park, and F1 at Silverstone. Likewise, moving Monza one week later would avoid any clashes.
Every single solution you've mentioned would lead to a clash with the Formula E calendar - which is the primary series they needed to avoid.

Trying to dodge clashes with F1 is utterly pointless and impossible. Getting a clear Le Mans next year was something the FIA could hang their hat on but I'm not convinced it matters. F1 is in a different stratosphere from even 5 years ago. Not the same sport at this point.
Old 29 Sep 2022, 19:48 (Ref:4127889)   #54
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm glad the calendar is filling up again and I get the appeal of another early round to help with BoP before Le Mans but I fear this will exaggerate the loss of momentum we have already.

Prologue and race in March, two races in April, a race in each of June and July and then a two month gap followed by another two month gap. They really need to fill at least of those.
Old 29 Sep 2022, 23:45 (Ref:4127894)   #55
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The good news from the latest DSC interview is that it sounds much more positive RE the return of Silverstone at some point in the future. https://www.dailysportscar.com/2022/...lverstone.html
Old 30 Sep 2022, 07:10 (Ref:4127907)   #56
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We can but hope.....
Old 30 Sep 2022, 07:35 (Ref:4127908)   #57
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
2023 FIA World Endurance Championship schedule:
  • March 11-12: Prologue at Sebring
  • March 17: Sebring
  • April 16: Algarve
  • April 29: Spa-Francorchamps
  • June 10-11: Le Mans
  • July 9: Monza
  • September 10: Fuji
  • November 4: Bahrain
I think this is quite good
Hopefully from next year when they add an 8th race they will fill the August slot.
I do not know what it takes to get a calendar slot on a track, however would be good if they can move Bahrain to October so there is a less gap between last 2 races, If there is a tight title fight the enthusiasm might die down over 2 months
Old 30 Sep 2022, 07:38 (Ref:4127909)   #58
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clashes are impossible to avoid unfortunately - and I am pretty sure is not that easy to change calendar slots for 1 or 2 weeks - there are many considerations coming into play - otherwise it would be an easy fix

Alternatively, WEC is a world championship so the regional sportscar championships should have their calendars planned around WEC and not the other way around(I am aware that WEC and ELMS calendars are made by same company)
Old 30 Sep 2022, 08:30 (Ref:4127915)   #59
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Every single solution you've mentioned would lead to a clash with the Formula E calendar - which is the primary series they needed to avoid.

Trying to dodge clashes with F1 is utterly pointless and impossible. Getting a clear Le Mans next year was something the FIA could hang their hat on but I'm not convinced it matters. F1 is in a different stratosphere from even 5 years ago. Not the same sport at this point.
Yes, there was a time when trying to avoid clashing with F1 was the right solution, but as you say not anymore. However, the huge 24 race F1 calendar which overshadows the rest of the motorsport season is something the FiA could/should be dealing with....it's not healthy for one series to be so dominant.

Ideally, IMSA & ACO work together to come up with two calendars that can work - which is easier said than done.

As for people moaning on social media about Silverstone, well somebody has to pay for it.....
Old 30 Sep 2022, 08:47 (Ref:4127923)   #60
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Doesn't help that FE has gone from 8 rounds to 13 in the space of two seasons, while also binning off their original winter calendar concept.

I think there are quite a few more high profile driver clashes in FE and WEC vs IMSA, so I guess they had to prioritise.
Old 30 Sep 2022, 10:39 (Ref:4127938)   #61
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
One point alluded to in the article is that it’s not just about avoiding actual clashes of race day. ELMS wanted to be at Imola on 14 May but the San Marino F1 is the weekend after that and the circuit needs setup time, so ELMS went to 7 May. Add teardown time and each F1 GP takes up at least three weekends of that circuit’s calendar.
Old 30 Sep 2022, 13:31 (Ref:4127943)   #62
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They should run the whole championship in August when F1 is on holiday. Any track you like!
Old 30 Sep 2022, 14:12 (Ref:4127949)   #63
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Is it? I would think that IMSA is a more significant clash.
Old 30 Sep 2022, 14:27 (Ref:4127960)   #64
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
For us endurance fans yes, not for drivers or the sport as a whole.
Old 1 Oct 2022, 12:41 (Ref:4128066)   #65
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
FE and WEC share a lot of drivers.
Old 2 Oct 2022, 16:57 (Ref:4128441)   #66
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
I'm glad the calendar is filling up again and I get the appeal of another early round to help with BoP before Le Mans but I fear this will exaggerate the loss of momentum we have already.

Prologue and race in March, two races in April, a race in each of June and July and then a two month gap followed by another two month gap. They really need to fill at least of those.

150% Agreed. Such long gaps should only be between the end of one season and start of another IMO
Old 2 Oct 2022, 20:16 (Ref:4128467)   #67
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, agree totally as well.
Old 2 Oct 2022, 21:16 (Ref:4128469)   #68
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
150% Agreed. Such long gaps should only be between the end of one season and start of another IMO
The Monza-Fuji gap is down to shipping, according to Graham Goodwin.
Old 3 Oct 2022, 08:11 (Ref:4128510)   #69
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sure the reason is completely logical. But this championship has struggled with the idea of momentum for years. After Le Mans interest completely dies. This huge gap doesn't help.

It's the same reason nobody _really_ cares about IGTC being a "championship". We like the individual races (often more than WECs individual races), but it's too spread out to get invested in.
Old 11 Oct 2022, 09:57 (Ref:4129863)   #70
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's been a while since I posted here and my last sportscar race was Daytona 2019, so it's with some excitement that I've logged in to say that I've booked to go to a race next year.

The promise of a large Hypercar field has tempted me back to the WEC after being rather bored with it over the previous few years.

I did think about taking another trip to Daytona or Le Mans (Where I used to be a regular before becoming rather disenchanted with the organiser's decisions to favour corporate guests over people like me who'd kept coming in less popular times), but have decided to go to Monza instead, a circuit I've never visited but have always wanted to.

Looking forward to seeing a genuine multi-marque battle like the glory days of Group C (although maybe that's a bar a little too high to aim for) in 2023!

Any tips, meanwhile, for visiting Monza? I'm flying in Saturday morning and out Monday evening and staying close to the main station in Milan.

Cheers.

M
Old 11 Oct 2022, 14:29 (Ref:4129907)   #71
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
The track museum is closed in Mondays, but you can rent a bicycle to make a full lap.
Old 12 Oct 2022, 13:29 (Ref:4130026)   #72
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Walk/climb/bike on the oval.
Old 12 Oct 2022, 14:24 (Ref:4130034)   #73
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Basically confirmation of 8 rounds in 2024.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ndar-for-2024/

Anyone want to take a guess where it will be?
Old 12 Oct 2022, 17:56 (Ref:4130049)   #74
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Indy is the safe bet. Or maybe Daytona?
Old 12 Oct 2022, 18:51 (Ref:4130054)   #75
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Indy is the safe bet. Or maybe Daytona?
I think it would make most sense logistically to add a race at a place where ground transport can be used after (or before) another round. Don't know if anywhere in America could be added around Sebring weather wise.