Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jul 2020, 08:08 (Ref:3986151)   #351
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Culpability is when one party to an incident is deemed by the Stewards to be 'wholly or predominantly responsible'.

For this incident, the Stewards decided: "The Stewards reviewed video evidence showing that cars 23 and 44 were side by side approaching the apex of turn 4. They negotiated the turn side by side, but car 23 had a better exit and was in the process of passing car 44. Car 44 was drafting to the outside at the exit of turn 4 and consequently making contact with the rear right wheel of car 23, causing car 23 to spin. The Stewards determined that the driver of car 44 is predominantly to blame for the collision."

We can all have a different view about the incident and/or the penalty, but the Stewards' view trumps all others (save for appeals). That's the way motorsport works.
Attached Thumbnails
Hamilton - Albon 5 July 2020.png  
Old 6 Jul 2020, 08:22 (Ref:3986157)   #352
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
We can all have a different view about the incident and/or the penalty, but the Stewards' view trumps all others (save for appeals). That's the way motorsport works.
I suppose a question is could Hamilton have steered on a tighter line to avoid it or was he at the steering's limit? I'm assuming he could have. Therefore, from that point of view, we can see why the penalty was awarded.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 08:23 (Ref:3986158)   #353
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Interesting perspective and this is a change we are seeing in motorsport it seems. There is more culpability apportioned in many incidents and an attempt to seek to define what is clearly acceptable and worthy of a penalty (and there are more penalties). There is a shift to punishing misdemeanours and seeing the punishments not as a form of rebuke of the drivers, but as an integral part of race management. For what it's worth, I'm not sure where I stand. The goal posts are shifting and I'm observing it with interest. However, I do think Hamilton wasn't trying to crowd out Albon and looked to be holding a tighter line. He's inevitably going to get on the throttle at some point, though. The problem with such policing in motorsport is also because decisions happen so quickly. All in all, and based on precedent, I would call it a super racing incident.

You could also argue that if both drivers have similar levels of blame, you could punish them both. We don't seem to see that. We see the 'wronged' driver not being punished, but if both have some fault, you could make a case for saying you penalise them both. I'm not expecting it, though (nor desiring it).

In my view if there is equal blame, but both drivers behaved very dangerously, penalties can still be given.

I think the main problem with the "leave a car width on track" rule and it's policing is that there is a sliding slope element to it. In this case Albon's wheel was in front so it's pretty clear cut, but in many offences of this rule that isn't the case.

It makes quite a difference if at the moment of impact both cars are completely alongside each other, or the one being squeezed is half a car length behind or perhaps his front wheel is barely alongside the other's back wheel. When do you call it being left insufficient room and when does it become, "well you just lost the corner."

I think this slide slope element makes it hard to police this rule and therefore it is applied with restraint and therefore drivers have been taking liberties with this rule.

Probably a hard one to solve.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 08:24 (Ref:3986159)   #354
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I suppose a question is, could Hamilton have steered on a tighter line to avoid it or was he at the steering's limit? I'm assuming he could have. Therefore, from that point of view, we can see why the penalty was awarded.
The picture I posted was as close to the moment of impact as I could manage. Hamilton does not appear to be turning very much at all.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 08:34 (Ref:3986163)   #355
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The picture I posted was as close to the moment of impact as I could manage. Hamilton does not appear to be turning very much at all.
You can’t see whether Lewis is scratching his balls or not in that photo. The onboard is a far better shot and shows Lewis is pretty much on full lock, doesn’t open up the steering etc.

I tend to take the view of the experts....every ex driver I saw yesterday said it was one of those things. Hamilton did nothing wrong, neither did Albon, it was just one of those things. The penalty was harsh but so was the result for Albon so was probably justified.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 08:34 (Ref:3986164)   #356
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
He seemed to be depending on Albon taking an even wider line. He was trying to force him to take one. That's the risk he took, because Albon didn't and almost timed it to perfection by getting good grip off the corner and getting by anyway.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 08:43 (Ref:3986167)   #357
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
You can’t see whether Lewis is scratching his balls or not in that photo. The onboard is a far better shot and shows Lewis is pretty much on full lock, doesn’t open up the steering etc.

I tend to take the view of the experts....every ex driver I saw yesterday said it was one of those things. Hamilton did nothing wrong, neither did Albon, it was just one of those things. The penalty was harsh but so was the result for Albon so was probably justified.

Every ex driver will say that because it is a very likely thing to do as a driver (especially a top competitor like Lewis) and they all have offended against the rule (and often gotten away with it). You just don't want to give up your position and restrain the throttle in order for the car to maintain a tighter trajectory to leave the other guy room, you want to apply as much throttle as you can to stay ahead. Yet, that is exactly what was required to stay within the rules.

Again, if he is steering towards Albon or the other way is not critical. The minimal tightness of the trajectory of the car is mainly limited by the amount of throttle applied from the apex onwards.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 08:52 (Ref:3986174)   #358
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Good point re: the throttle. It wasn't a close enough thing to call with regards to steering angle. Drivers are dependent on others being very compliant with throttle application. As a racing driver in the heat of battle, one of the last things you want to do is not hit the throttle thinking you need to leave space and find you could have got away with it and held your position.

We will see racing collisions forever.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 08:54 (Ref:3986175)   #359
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He seemed to be depending on Albon taking an even wider line. He was trying to force him to take one. That's the risk he took, because Albon didn't and almost timed it to perfection by getting good grip off the corner and getting by anyway.
Was he actually trying to 'force' him to take a wider line? I didn't see that personally. It was pretty obvious he wasn't going to lift off. Albon had his nose in front for sure, but he should have known that Hamilton wasn't going to just lift off and gift him the place, it's supposed to be racing, after all. I saw it as a racing incident at the time and still do now, personally. It was very unfortunate for Albon, but you could see it coming a mile off....
Old 6 Jul 2020, 08:57 (Ref:3986177)   #360
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I felt Norris took more of a risk in his move with Perez. Seemed to come from quite a way back and was a bit late too. If you keep doing moves like that you will get unstuck eventually. He’ll learn with experience
Old 6 Jul 2020, 08:59 (Ref:3986179)   #361
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Well, not so much force him, but not actively avoid it. But as you say it's racing, and I'm old school.

I'm just trying to debate this from the new-fangled perspective.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 09:10 (Ref:3986184)   #362
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Culpability is when one party to an incident is deemed by the Stewards to be 'wholly or predominantly responsible'.

For this incident, the Stewards decided: "The Stewards reviewed video evidence showing that cars 23 and 44 were side by side approaching the apex of turn 4. They negotiated the turn side by side, but car 23 had a better exit and was in the process of passing car 44. Car 44 was drafting to the outside at the exit of turn 4 and consequently making contact with the rear right wheel of car 23, causing car 23 to spin. The Stewards determined that the driver of car 44 is predominantly to blame for the collision."

The Steward's view does trump all others but a fair bit criticism has been leveled at the Stewards for inconsistency.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 09:16 (Ref:3986187)   #363
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

There was certainly a loosening-up of the strict penalties we had seen for driving conduct last year. I still think that the inconsistency is down to a lack of consensus on what is really expected from wheel-to-wheel stuff. It's not like inconsistencies in football. From what I can see from refereering, it has got tighter there over the years (someone with knowledge of football, feel free to correct me), but there are clear views on what is acceptable/ punishable or not. It's as though F1 stewarding can't make up its mind if it needs to penalise as much stuff or just let it slide, hence the inconsistencies.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 09:21 (Ref:3986188)   #364
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well, not so much force him, but not actively avoid it. But as you say it's racing, and I'm old school.

I'm old school too, which is why I saw it as a racing incident.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 09:22 (Ref:3986189)   #365
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
The minimal tightness of the trajectory of the car is mainly limited by the amount of throttle applied from the apex onwards.
and how much throttle did hamilton have on? certainly didnt seem on the power from the onboards.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 09:24 (Ref:3986191)   #366
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Being very much old school my self, having retired from racing 50 years ago, this is not new fangled at all.

I can still vividly recall the old CoCs giving their driver briefings at every race meeting emphasising that every driver should be totally aware of what was going on around them at all times, and that they should always give racing room to another competitor that was attempting to make a pass.

The golden rule back then was that if a driver attempting to overtake/pass had his/her front wheels in front of your rear wheels, then it was your obligation to ensure that there was no coming together.

But then, of course, we didn't have concrete curbs and wide run off areas to take advantage of; we had to keep between the painted white lines, and there was certainly no time or speed to be gained if you exceeded those lines. In fact you would be more likely to damage the car by so doing.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 09:27 (Ref:3986193)   #367
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

The golden rule back then was that if a driver attempting to overtake/pass had his/her front wheels in front of your rear wheels, then it was your obligation to ensure that there was no coming together.
This was always an unwritten rule, right? A gentlemen's agreement if you like. And I can well imagine that it helps to have gentlemen's agreements when racing is more dangerous, as it was then.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 09:37 (Ref:3986196)   #368
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
This was always an unwritten rule, right? A gentlemen's agreement if you like. And I can well imagine that it helps to have gentlemen's agreements when racing is more dangerous, as it was then.

To be quite honest, BR, I don't actually know. I have to admit that I never read whatever they called the Blue Book back then, and more than likely, I wouldn't have had time or the inclination to read any written instructions from the race organisers.

Apart from anything else, it was self preservation. We didn't have hundreds of mechanics/engineers at our beck and call to put right the damage caused by our indiscretions; we had to do it ourselves, and personally pay for it.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 09:38 (Ref:3986198)   #369
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
and how much throttle did hamilton have on? certainly didnt seem on the power from the onboards.

I have revisited the video I posted earlier. From 0:25 (onboard) you can hear that Hamilton's application of the throttle is very limited. So possibly from the moment he realized Albon was going to pass him there was not much he could've done. That said, each driver is still responsible for the position and trajectory of his car.

He probably wanted to brake as late as possible to stay ahead (Albon with his new tires could brake even later) and by braking so late his speed determined a trajectory that did not leave Albon enough room.

So I think it was certainly not intentional by Lewis, but as said you're still responsible for leaving room and there for position and trajectory of your car.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 09:39 (Ref:3986199)   #370
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I felt Norris took more of a risk in his move with Perez. Seemed to come from quite a way back and was a bit late too. If you keep doing moves like that you will get unstuck eventually. He’ll learn with experience
Interesting - I saw that more as Perez was just caught napping by Norris and turned in on him (probably checked the mirrors, thought he was too far back and didn't check again before turning in). No intent in it but just a bit clumsy (maybe a bit race rusty?).
Old 6 Jul 2020, 09:40 (Ref:3986200)   #371
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post

So I think it was certainly not intentional by Lewis, but as said you're still responsible for leaving room and there for position and trajectory of your car.

That goes for both drivers tbf.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 09:54 (Ref:3986201)   #372
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Interesting - I saw that more as Perez was just caught napping by Norris and turned in on him (probably checked the mirrors, thought he was too far back and didn't check again before turning in). No intent in it but just a bit clumsy (maybe a bit race rusty?).

From what I saw Perez was just about to turn in when Norris started coming down the inside
Old 6 Jul 2020, 10:02 (Ref:3986204)   #373
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
That goes for both drivers tbf.
The difference being Lewis ended up breaking the rules.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 10:14 (Ref:3986208)   #374
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Given all the talk of kerb usage over the weekend, I do find it very interesting that Albon didn't try to use the kerb (and the concrete behind it) in avoidance. Sure, that would have affected his acceleration, but there wouldn't have been a collision.

Wearing my observer's hat, at the time I thought it was completely 50/50 and therefore a 'racing incident' with no fault to be levelled at either driver - or fault with both, if you like it that way.

You win some, you lose some. Maybe Alex will have second thoughts before trying to monster a 6-time champion round the outside of a sketchy corner in future, which means his racecraft will have improved.

Vettel, though... feels like his racecraft is in a suitcase somewhere in Heathrow T5 baggage system.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 10:16 (Ref:3986209)   #375
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:

But then, of course, we didn't have concrete curbs and wide run off areas to take advantage of; we had to keep between the painted white lines, and there was certainly no time or speed to be gained if you exceeded those lines. In fact you would be more likely to damage the car by so doing.
Mike, I can imagine those tracks limits being defined by the circuit edge and the danger of surpassing it also contributed towards a certain racing style that has somehow receded. Because the drivers of today know they can try the kerbs and run-offs, both overtaker and overtakee adapt their driving accordingly, but sometimes one of the two is not planning to go beyond the circuit edge.

Quote:
We didn't have hundreds of mechanics/engineers at our beck and call to put right the damage caused by our indiscretions; we had to do it ourselves, and personally pay for it.
The best motivator to look after the car!