Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Dec 2001, 14:12 (Ref:182075)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
UK Digital TV

Digital F1 coverage has been up and running for sometime now, but when will we get it here in the UK?

Will it be distributed on all digital providers (SKY, ITV, cable...) and how much will it cost?

Will it be pay per view for every single round? Will we be able to buy a years subscription? It could have it's own dedicated channel that could show old races and highlights at other times (hmmmm never going to happen!)

What is the service like in other countries?

Who knows? Well hopefully people here...
Old 4 Dec 2001, 15:46 (Ref:182097)   #2
Sodemo2
Racer

Sodemo2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, its down to that complete b&stard Bernie Ecclestone that we have such bullsh1t TV coverage, I really don't want to pay for something which I think should be free anyhow.
However if the price is right then I may, but I bet that Sky will get the deal, aparrently Bernie had talks with Sky a couple of years ago, but they couldn't agree on a price so the deal fell through.

Take a look at the TV coverage of virtually any other motorsport and it is leagues ahead of the terrestrial F1 feed, CART, and especially the WRC are fab to watch.
Old 4 Dec 2001, 17:29 (Ref:182180)   #3
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This subject has been discussed on several previous threads.The F1 digital service has been going for at least 4 seasons.So far AFAIK it is available in only Germany,Italy,France & Sweden.There is to date no english language service.Unlikely it will be seen in UK,until current contract with ITV expires.
Old 4 Dec 2001, 17:30 (Ref:182183)   #4
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
...until current contract with ITV expires.

Which is when???
Old 4 Dec 2001, 18:46 (Ref:182221)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haven't they just extended it?
Old 4 Dec 2001, 18:54 (Ref:182228)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ITV have their own Digital service and are also shown through Sky Digital...
Old 5 Dec 2001, 14:54 (Ref:182517)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
That's true. ITV1 and ITV2 are now available through Sky Digital. However, I don't think we in the UK are likely to be able to receive the digital field so some time yet sadly.

As for "pay per view" I have very strong opinions. As someone who already pays Sky £34 a month to receive Sky Digital I think it sucks to then expect subscribers to pay again for 'special' sporting events. Much of the boxing is shown this way and in my humble opinion is one of the biggest cons in the world. You end up paying £10 or more for the time it takes for some big bloke to knock out another big bloke, usually under 1 minute.

No wonder Bernie Ecclesnake wants to sell it to Sky and all the other broadcasters!
Old 5 Dec 2001, 14:58 (Ref:182519)   #8
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd heard that the reason we don't have it in the UK is that Sky are the people withe the infrastructure but Bernie won't deal with Rupert Murdoch. Now why do you think that would be?
Old 5 Dec 2001, 15:21 (Ref:182523)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I tell you what Marshal, it chuffs me off no end, the political infighting and manoevering that Ecclebum does with F1.
Old 5 Dec 2001, 15:27 (Ref:182526)   #10
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What is the Sky channel for ITV2?
Old 5 Dec 2001, 15:32 (Ref:182532)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
226 Paul
Old 5 Dec 2001, 15:40 (Ref:182533)   #12
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanx Stephen!!!
Old 5 Dec 2001, 16:35 (Ref:182569)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do any of you two get other ITV regions on Sky Digital? I've been told it's channel 963 or 964 but those two are not even in existence.

PS Stephen - In one of the past few months Sky magazine my mum got a notice the subscription is rising to £37 per month!
Old 5 Dec 2001, 16:46 (Ref:182579)   #14
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They don't have channel nos,but you can get them.Hit the 'services' button on you EPG and go to 'add channels'.The frequencies you need are;
10.832-H-22.000-5/6
10.891-H-22.000-5/6
10.906-V-22.000-5/6

Last edited by Rob29; 5 Dec 2001 at 16:48.
Old 5 Dec 2001, 16:53 (Ref:182582)   #15
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Thanks Rob, what regions of ITV does that cater for?
Old 5 Dec 2001, 17:29 (Ref:182607)   #16
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
All of them-15 in addition to the local one you should have on 103.If you go to the frequencies,etc, you will find a list,5 or so on each to click on.You will then have to go to the 'other channels' box to view them.
Old 5 Dec 2001, 20:52 (Ref:182721)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thanks Rob, I heard there was a way of programming the other regions in. I get London Weekend and Carlton on Sky and Meridian on terrestrial.

TCL thanks for the warning of the price increase, no doubt my bank manager will inform me in due course.
Old 5 Dec 2001, 21:23 (Ref:182738)   #18
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!

Revirons a nos moutons... (French for let's get back to what we're talking about, but i just love the phrase )

I seem to remember that ON Digital would put together a deal in the next few years. Well, ON are obviously no more, so I'm a bit confused :confused: . However, there is nothing to suggest that normal and Digital TV can't be broadcast simultaneously, so, technically, the BBC could get it to put on Choice of something. Of course, they won't.
Old 6 Dec 2001, 09:59 (Ref:182870)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There will always be a terrestrial (free to view) feed as the manufacturers and other sponsors want this (or they'll go elsewhere).

I have to admit that I quite fancy all the extra digital stuff. Perhaps if the racing was better I wouldn't! Actually take that back. Perhaps if the coverage was better - I'm sick of watching qualifying and only seeing cars on their out or in lap.

I see no reason why ITV digital (new ON digital), SKY and the cable services can't all have it. Surely if it is pay per view then this will maximise the money that Bernie can get(or whichever German company owns most of it now - Kirch?).

I heard somewhere that the new contract would bundle the normal what we get now and new interactive feeds together. If the beeb got it then presumably they would show the race on BBC1or2 and the digital elsewhere which would be available through all the providers.

Who knows? Bernie?
Old 6 Dec 2001, 19:13 (Ref:183026)   #20
Sodemo2
Racer

Sodemo2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well with the beeb loosing motorsport left right and centre, maybe its about time they re-bidded for the F1?

I think in a few years time there will be no Grandstand, just Steve Ryder sitting at a desk doing some major major "filling" time.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 11:18 (Ref:183234)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
The Financial Times is carrying a story that Rupert Murdoch is interested in buying Kersch, the company that has 58% of SLEC!
Old 7 Dec 2001, 11:59 (Ref:183253)   #22
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm ... interesting! Link to ft.com:

http://news.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pag...nt,%20%20sport
Old 11 Dec 2001, 22:15 (Ref:184809)   #23
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to add late to this but...

The Dog already owns part of Premier World, basically the deal was that PW had to substain a large, almost impossible, level of subscribers by Dec. 31st this year (I think), or they would be taken over by the Dog automatically (the Dog has options, just like the Burns/Subaru deal etc.)

Bernie not wanting to deal with the Dog is a smokescreen, he already does and has done for years.

The real reason Digital TV will (possibly) never come to the UK (officially) is because it's a massive loss maker - it costs Bernie millions of pounds a year to do, they loose money hand over fist.

The service is already accessible to everybody in the UK, you just need the right equipment, a FTA Digital Receiver (not a Sky one) a 60 to 80cm dish and unless it's built in, a Seca/Mediaguard CAM, oh and of course a subscription to the full Italian Telepui service.

In total, this will probably set you back about a grand or less (including the subscription) - naturally Telepui is the same as Sky, you can only officially subscribe if you live in Italy, this is why the sub will set you back £300 plus if done correctly (though an agency) but that still doesn't stop you getting cut off mid-lap when they find out you ain;t in Italy!

The reason I say Telepui is because this year the F1 coverage was part of the main package, it was not PPV, this was due to low take up on the PPV front (and Italy is Ferrari mad yea?), actually most of Italy do watch it, but don't pay for it - DO NOT ask me for any details work it out yourself!

Oh, and the service is not all it's cracked up to be, yes you get 7 channels, but you can only watch one at a time, and ITV had better live views of all the main shunts (bar spa) in many cases, the Digital cameras are next to the analog feed, the only good thing is lots of in-car and full coverage (fri/sat/sun etc.)

Last edited by Ian-S; 11 Dec 2001 at 22:22.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 00:14 (Ref:184841)   #24
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about the new ITVSport channel?

oh yeah i forgot sport to ITV = football thats all thats ever on the ITV "sport" channel!
Old 12 Dec 2001, 00:22 (Ref:184844)   #25
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be on Sky if it goes, ITV Digital don't have enough bandwidth for the channels they have already.

Ever noticed that the PPV Films go off at night, to allow for the Adult channels to operate, this is how ITV works, Granada Plus shares bandwidth with, I think, Men and Motors etc.

When something is on ITV Sport Select, one of the PPV film channels goes down to copy with it - get my drift?

One good thing, British Superbikes are live on ITV Sport next year - the Wife will be happy