Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 29 Jan 2001, 20:56 (Ref:61061)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As I've only ever visited Knockhill, I'd like to know what everybody here thinks of the circuits in the UK, and what you would suggest as the best one for me to visit next.

Old 29 Jan 2001, 21:47 (Ref:61068)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Brands for spectating, Oulton PK for driving.
Old 29 Jan 2001, 21:57 (Ref:61072)   #3
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont think so!!

OK smokin jo winkelhock thought oulton park was amini nurburgring but come on we all know Thruxton is a real teast of a drivers nerves. And for that you have to ask a driver and having been driven round thruxton by tom kristensen in his Honda Accord Super Tourer last year, i can tell u im a hardened speed freak but i **** my self!!

The direction change from the Segrave into Noble is unbelievable and when you bear to the right for Goodwood you think even in a super tourer you are going to roll or end up on the grass.

And Church well that was the point where i **** myself its totally blind and the nutter just blipped the throttle on approach and then floored it half way around

when u reach the chicane you think think you are going to end up in the grandstand

Now tell me for sheer speed balls and grey hair that thruxton is not the greatest drivers challenge in the uk!!
Old 29 Jan 2001, 22:11 (Ref:61074)   #4
GURRYP
Racer

GURRYP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Out of the 3 circuits I have visited, Donnington is definitley the best, then Croft, then a long way behind is Silverstone. This is an overall view, taking the circuit layout, spectating vantages points & car parking into consideration.
Old 30 Jan 2001, 06:16 (Ref:61118)   #5
Yogi
Rookie

Yogi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll have to agree with Spooner, Thruxton is a great speed circuit. In fact, its the fastest circuit in the country. Donnington is a good circuit.
Old 30 Jan 2001, 10:54 (Ref:61124)   #6
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't agree more - having been round a few as fast as I dare Thruxton is my choice from inside the car , it certainly does test your nerves !
As for spectating Sodemo is right BH is great , you can see so much at once and walk all the way round at your leisure.
Old 30 Jan 2001, 13:21 (Ref:61141)   #7
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been to all of the BTCC circuits (apart from Mondello, of course - that will be rectified this year ), Thruxton is my least favourite, but then it's just my opinion and the weather has been atrocious every time I go there. I think the best from a spectating point of view would have to be Brands, because of what Slowcoach said. You can see lots and walking around isn't too much of a trek.

Old 30 Jan 2001, 17:06 (Ref:61158)   #8
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In terms of facilities it is Silverstone (although the facilities are pants at all the circuits), the actual track is the Oulton Park International circuit, viewing would be Brands or Knockhil, but overall in terms of everything it would have to be Donington.
Old 30 Jan 2001, 18:15 (Ref:61160)   #9
vauxhall
Veteran

vauxhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

D O N N I N G T O N P A R K
Old 30 Jan 2001, 18:39 (Ref:61166)   #10
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a real Brands Fan!
Old 30 Jan 2001, 19:53 (Ref:61178)   #11
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Touringlegend, you have the problem of living in Scotland but the circuit i would suggest is Silverstone or maybe in a year or two Rockingham. Silverstone is 10 mins away from me!
Old 30 Jan 2001, 20:40 (Ref:61188)   #12
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington is the place for me.
Old 30 Jan 2001, 21:10 (Ref:61201)   #13
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my favourite rack would have to be oulton park island circuit cos of the huge straight after the hairpin, leading into a tight chicane. lots of fun watching 3 cars trying to fit in a gap barely big enough for one!
Old 31 Jan 2001, 06:01 (Ref:61271)   #14
Yogi
Rookie

Yogi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've driven around Brands Hatch, and found it quite good fun, especially 4 wheel sliding coming out of clearways. I've also driven into Eau-Rouge at Spa at not quite F1 speed and its frightening, to the F1 drivers it must be like having a blood transfusion. The best view at Thruxton is probably at Cambell, Cobb and Seagrave as a good view of most of the circuit can be had from the top of the embankment. For photography at Thruxton, it has to be the chicane at the beguinning of the start / finish straight.
Old 31 Jan 2001, 13:04 (Ref:61335)   #15
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me the circuits are often measured by the accidents I've seen and the weather experienced which is pretty subjective:
For example Oulton is a challenging circuit but I'm not really a fan as I don't tend to go well there, an old team mate of mine was killed there last year and I've been snowed on twice there.
Donington is where I learnt to race and it's a challenge and the viewing is pretty good so its a favourite (and if you are coming down from the North not so tough to get to) but Croft is also a brilliant circuit for the driver and good for the spectators if you stand in the right place! And a whole lot easier to get to for you so I'd probably head there next!

In case there is any doubt in this forum however, Brands GP is the greatest track in the UK. No debate!

RickP
Old 31 Jan 2001, 18:34 (Ref:61380)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rockingham is definetly high on my list of tracks to go to next, but it'll probably be Croft that gets the pleasure of having me next. Will the race at Rockingham next year??, be on the oval?
Old 31 Jan 2001, 18:39 (Ref:61384)   #17
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thinks it's more likely to be on the inland circuit instead of the whole oval (This ain't Nascar you know!), at least you can see the whole track from where you are sitting!
Old 3 Feb 2001, 14:51 (Ref:62231)   #18
knowlesy59
Racer

Wales
WALES
knowlesy59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oulten park is the only track that ive been 2 but i reckon that its a great circuit.i saw plato get pushed onto the grass by thompson at 140mph in'98 and paula cook smash into the tyres in the same year.i saw ferrier roll it last time i went.cheers
Old 3 Feb 2001, 14:55 (Ref:62232)   #19
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
This topic really should be in the Trackside forum...

For my money, Donington is the best - Thruxton is the worst (flat and boring with little spectating areas )
Old 3 Feb 2001, 16:05 (Ref:62258)   #20
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
The text on my page has got huge, has anybody elses?
Old 3 Feb 2001, 16:38 (Ref:62262)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Try moving your chair away from your monitor a little...
Old 4 Feb 2001, 10:47 (Ref:62359)   #22
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RickP:Clio33
Croft is also a brilliant circuit for the driver and good for the spectators if you stand in the right place!
and where do we suggest is a good place?
Old 4 Feb 2001, 13:41 (Ref:62372)   #23
RobJ03
Rookie

RobJ03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands is a great circuit, so is thruxton.
The view from clark is amazing, seeing plato and co scrap it out for the lead.
Thruxton is brilliant the view from noble is rockin.

But Thruxton is bad for being sun burnt
Old 4 Feb 2001, 13:51 (Ref:62374)   #24
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you stand on the banking looking across to the Jim Clark Esses you can see the cars on the limit (and Radermacker trying to yump the barriers) then go into Sunny In and Sunny Out and then come across in front of you into the tricky left hander with the bump on entry that saw Plato ramming Tarquini when his throttle stuck open. Also if you stand on tip-toes you can see the start finish straight and the run along the back stretch through the chicane.
RickP
Old 4 Feb 2001, 17:53 (Ref:62421)   #25
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
That hasn't worked either, Craig!