Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

View Poll Results: Do You Prefer The NEW Anglesey Circuit or the Old One?
NEW Layout 9 31.03%
OLD Layout 7 24.14%
Both Were/Are Good 13 44.83%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 Dec 2007, 20:51 (Ref:2080077)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OLD Anglesey Vs NEW Anglesey (merged)

Now that we have finished the first season on the "New" Anglesey Circuit, what do you think?

Does the new track outshine the old, one config track?

What is better.......what is not as good?

The question is: Which did you prefer? Old or New?

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 2 Dec 2007 at 20:53. Reason: Added smilie
Old 2 Dec 2007, 22:13 (Ref:2080120)   #2
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well of all the days i had to pick to do my first meeting at the new circuit,i had to pick today, the day hurricane homer decided to blow in.....DOH....i have to be honest and say the new circuit is brilliant.i was on church out,and from that point you get to see a lot more of the track.the only thing that could be added to all the posts would be some kind of shelter to protect marshal,s from the kind of weather we had there today.apart from that excellent improvements (from what i saw).
Old 2 Dec 2007, 22:49 (Ref:2080150)   #3
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Now that we have finished the first season on the "New" Anglesey Circuit, what do you think?
Did you get to the circuit this year?

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 2 Dec 2007, 22:52 (Ref:2080154)   #4
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both have their merits, but new anglesey doesn't have the charm of old anglesey.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 08:55 (Ref:2080400)   #5
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not sure of that, the atmosphere is just the same as it was, and that was what kept bringing people back to it time and again. Once they've had time to get more of the infrastructure sorted, it's going to turn in to a real gem of British Motorsport
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:11 (Ref:2080421)   #6
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the new circuit. They've done an excellant job. But I preferred the old circuit because it seemed to keep the racing closer.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 10:15 (Ref:2080486)   #7
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd have concentrated on the relative merits of the new circuit more yesterday if I hadn't had to huddle with the lads like a rugby scrum in the howling wind in order to say anything half-sensible to race control and stop me sheets flying over Colwyn Bay. Not that I could hear the response anyway. A good circuit that would be made great with decent, at least half-weatherproof posts.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 16:03 (Ref:2080730)   #8
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the flexibility of different configurations gives it the advantage.
The weather, like yesterdays, we can't influence but I'm sure everyone will be back. Huts on the posts is, I'm sure, going to be in the pipeline for the future. That'd help on days like that.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 16:32 (Ref:2080757)   #9
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New track layouts all good except that the longest is tooooooo long for good racing.

I enjoyed the meeting I did but won't be going again until some serious deficiencies with post siteing and safety have been sorted. Too many corners being cut (and I'm not talking about cars and cones ). The madness of running meetings at the same time at Anglesey and Oulton just does not seem to be sinking in.

Regards

Jim
Old 3 Dec 2007, 17:40 (Ref:2080819)   #10
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Following on from Jim's comments I was surprised there was no division along the centre of the track leading up to the Banking. Yesterday a Sierra Cosworth was exploring the layout of the new rallycross section.......So far was he off the "upside" to the banked corner that he became a waved yellow hazard on the "downside". That was a bit of a worry. Also there was no refuge for drivers coming to a stop on the inside of the track.

On the short section we observed during the day there was plenty of scope for different lines and minnows could challenge mightier cars with a bit of bravery. Made for interesting viewing. One Caterham Vauxhall mixed it with Porsche GT3's and swift single seaters in another race.

Any new track is welcome and new Anglesey seems to be a real challenge.

They also need to turn off that powerful fan in the paddock. It turned so hard yesterday it sent strong winds all over the circuit, blew away possessions from the paddock, made people look like Eddie The Eagle as they tried to stand upright, flagging was nigh impossible and turned raindrops into face stinging needles.

Discovered a new definition of Flagellation - stand on bank at Anglesey with flag aimed trackside and hit oneself with stick repeatedly. Practice until it gets dark then quit.

But we'll still be back ......if only to see Pete Roberts in Orange!
Old 3 Dec 2007, 20:12 (Ref:2080901)   #11
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1
Did you get to the circuit this year?

Several times.......why do you ask?
Old 4 Dec 2007, 18:18 (Ref:2081556)   #12
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flagman
Following on from Jim's comments I was surprised there was no division along the centre of the track leading up to the Banking.
This has been raised before and Im sure the relevant forms have been submitted for a "Spine" to be put in the center of the infield from the start finish straight right up to the banking.

At the inagural meeting in May we had a Porsche leave the track coming out of turn 3 and almost wipe out the timing beam on the start/finish line!

Thought then it would be advisable to provide some protection for the equipment let alone a stranded car/driver!
Old 15 Dec 2007, 02:48 (Ref:2089269)   #13
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new anglesey a year on, your thoughts

dont know if this should be here for marshalls or in the club racing section but what the hell.
we have now got the first season of the new anglesey circuit done and finished and iam wondering with this been the first new circuit in a long time what you all think.

before everyone posts the same bloody thing i know it needs shelter for the marshalls so iam not looking for that, just your overall impressions.

me personally, i really like it, i will always have a soft spot for the old circuit but this new one is a cracker. the layout means close racing, faster, bigger cars get away on the back straight but are then caught and harrased through the twisty bits. depending on what post your on you can see almost the whole track, everyone there (apart from mike kelly who didnt want a hug last meeting) makes you feel welcome and i think if they get the pits sorted, the shelter for us and if possible sort the access roads to the circuit this place will be just awesome. on a final point it is amazing to see a circuit these days that has no gravel traps and especially no catch fencing and yet it still seems a safe circuit, it shows it can be done!!
Old 15 Dec 2007, 13:18 (Ref:2089460)   #14
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
There's already a poll/thread on this

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102389
Old 17 Dec 2007, 09:28 (Ref:2090375)   #15
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It takes me about as long to get to Anglesey as it does to go to Silverstone or Rockingham(and there's more chance of getting a speeding ticket in North Wales). I don't even consider going to Northants for a club meeting but I do as many Anglesey meetings as I can. It's just got a great atmosphere.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 18:40 (Ref:2090702)   #16
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its the intimacy of the place that does it. Any meeting at Silverstone (EERC probably the exception) and you don't really feel part of the event, and you are so far away from the circuit at times that it feels like you're a spectator. Brands and Oulton are good, but Anglesey is just beyond them both for friendliness and feeling part of the event itself. Don't know another circuit where beers and stories have been shared between marshals and circuit staff after a days hard graft, every meeting.

Despite the somewhat evil weather the place can throw at you, its a fantastic place to enjoy motorsport. Sure there's still plenty to do, but Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will the country's best circuit
Old 17 Dec 2007, 19:15 (Ref:2090734)   #17
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
Sure there's still plenty to do, but Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will the country's best circuit
Look how long Silverstone has been in use for motorsport, then think of how much needs doing there. Anglesey can only get better and better.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 18 Dec 2007, 18:38 (Ref:2091440)   #18
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It may not have the history of Sillystone or Donington, and yep its a work in progress but as already stated the atmosphere is so damn good! All in togetherness! Just the reason I love marshalling there, I get to do all kinds of jobs I just wouldnt be considered for anywhere else! Only place I've been, and I know its my first season, where I have been Incident, Observer and flaggie all at the same time and thoroughly enjoyed it! Its unique and I hope that remains, sure there are necessary improvements and I'm sure they will happen in time but its the feeling of being needed and truly appreciated for the effort and comitment we put in.

Thanks to the Anglesey staff and all the other marshals who have made it one of the must do places on my calendar!
Looking forward to next year!