Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 10 Aug 2019, 20:33 (Ref:3922237)   #4326
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
If you’d been about three or maybe four years ago you’d have seen at least one racing in Historic F1......... From memory main problem now is the special front tyre size.......
Don't think one was ever at Brands.Remember watching one on the 2009 ( I think ) Silverstone Classic TV Programme with Murray Walker commentating.
Old 10 Aug 2019, 21:32 (Ref:3922239)   #4327
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If you’d been about three or maybe four years ago you’d have seen at least one racing in Historic F1......... From memory main problem now is the special front tyre size.......
Martin Stretton used to run one regularly in the 00's.

Also Roger Wills - I don't think it was the same car. That one was running at the Monaco Historique in 2012.

There is, or was, another in Italy at one point.

ETA More info.

https://www.oldracingcars.com/tyrrell/p34/

Last edited by grantp; 10 Aug 2019 at 21:50.
Old 10 Aug 2019, 21:54 (Ref:3922242)   #4328
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

Thankfully i'm escaping and orft to Spain for 6 weeks on Tuesday night.
Enjoy the sun mate, pity Calpe isn't nearer to me
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Aug 2019, 01:27 (Ref:3922253)   #4329
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Discounting aero engined specials and some pre-war cars, I’m wondering if this is the biggest displacement engine ever used in a relatively modern race car? Whatever, It’s cool in my eyes.....
Maybe does not fit all your criteria but a 42 litre 1500bhp Packhard Bentley is up there for something surely, if only best flamethrower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ0u9iRTWyI
Old 11 Aug 2019, 01:36 (Ref:3922254)   #4330
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of course Jay Leno has some large engined cars aero powered and otherwise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ycd3M5jqUU
Old 11 Aug 2019, 01:47 (Ref:3922255)   #4331
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Enjoy the sun mate, pity Calpe isn't nearer to me
Thanks Gordon... Im looking forward to some sun and 'playa play'. Yeah you are probably nearer Africa than you are to Calpe!
Old 11 Aug 2019, 04:31 (Ref:3922262)   #4332
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Martin Stretton used to run one regularly in the 00's.

Also Roger Wills - I don't think it was the same car. That one was running at the Monaco Historique in 2012.

There is, or was, another in Italy at one point.

ETA More info.

https://www.oldracingcars.com/tyrrell/p34/
Yes, I've seen Roger racing one, but obviously a few more years ago than I thought. Time flies.....
Old 11 Aug 2019, 04:34 (Ref:3922263)   #4333
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Maybe does not fit all your criteria but a 42 litre 1500bhp Packhard Bentley is up there for something surely, if only best flamethrower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ0u9iRTWyI
Yes, that's definitely an aero engine!

Biggest displacement pure racing engine. What can beat that Eagle Performance 10.2 litre.....?
Old 11 Aug 2019, 05:40 (Ref:3922264)   #4334
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
My first ever desktop on a computer

Another one used .... Ronnie Peterson in typical guise

The Ronnie Peterson car is now AFAIK owned by Pierluigi Martini, one time Minardi driver. He ran it last year at the Historic Minardi day at Imola last year. He spoke of running it at the Monaco Historics.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...rtini/4315178/

Yes I was a huge fan of the car and the 6 wheel concept!

Of course, Williams (FW08B) and March (the 2-4-0) both developed 6 wheelers for F1, albeit both theirs were with 4 (small) rear wheels. March never raced theirs, and they banned the concept before Williams could race theirs. One of the Marches was bought and run by Roy Lane in the British Hillclimb Championship, although IIRC he ran the car eventually in 4 wheel form due to reliability problems with the 6 wheel drivetrain,

Story of the Williams : https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/si...liams/3196741/

All three 6 wheelers varieties ran or were to run at Goodwood back in 2012.

Video of the March in action on the Goodwood Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2OCFJV6Ye0
Old 11 Aug 2019, 06:48 (Ref:3922265)   #4335
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes, that's definitely an aero engine!

Biggest displacement pure racing engine. What can beat that Eagle Performance 10.2 litre.....?
The story at the time was that Tom Walkinshaw ran bigger engines in his Rovers, but I doubt if even he went bigger than that!
Old 11 Aug 2019, 07:27 (Ref:3922267)   #4336
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Apparently quite a few dragster engines are 680-900 cubic inches which is c 11-14 litres (I think).

Edit: Found reference to a 1005.8 cubic inch (16.4 litres) engine.... made by a company (Sonny Leonard Racing Engines) whose smallest engine offered is a 611cu which I think is c.10 litre. They manufacture up to 940 cu in (15+ litres). The 1005.8c.i. was a one off 'because he could'.
I guess dragsters qualify as race cars. Sort of.

Article and pics here:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1211...-block-engine/

Last edited by E.B; 11 Aug 2019 at 07:36.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 07:50 (Ref:3922268)   #4337
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
My first ever desktop on a computer

Another one used .... Ronnie Peterson in typical guise

The Ronnie Peterson car is now AFAIK owned by Pierluigi Martini, one time Minardi driver. He ran it last year at the Historic Minardi day at Imola last year. He spoke of running it at the Monaco Historics.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...rtini/4315178/

Yes I was a huge fan of the car and the 6 wheel concept!

Of course, Williams (FW08B) and March (the 2-4-0) both developed 6 wheelers for F1, albeit both theirs were with 4 (small) rear wheels. March never raced theirs, and they banned the concept before Williams could race theirs. One of the Marches was bought and run by Roy Lane in the British Hillclimb Championship, although IIRC he ran the car eventually in 4 wheel form due to reliability problems with the 6 wheel drivetrain,

Story of the Williams : https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/si...liams/3196741/

All three 6 wheelers varieties ran or were to run at Goodwood back in 2012.

Video of the March in action on the Goodwood Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2OCFJV6Ye0
Cheers for the info etc.

Good choice for a desktop pic.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 08:03 (Ref:3922270)   #4338
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
The story at the time was that Tom Walkinshaw ran bigger engines in his Rovers, but I doubt if even he went bigger than that!
What? TWR allegedly cheated? Shirley not.......
Old 11 Aug 2019, 08:09 (Ref:3922271)   #4339
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Apparently quite a few dragster engines are 680-900 cubic inches which is c 11-14 litres (I think).

Edit: Found reference to a 1005.8 cubic inch (16.4 litres) engine.... made by a company (Sonny Leonard Racing Engines) whose smallest engine offered is a 611cu which I think is c.10 litre. They manufacture up to 940 cu in (15+ litres). The 1005.8c.i. was a one off 'because he could'.
I guess dragsters qualify as race cars. Sort of.
The last of the three links I posted says that the engine for that GTP was from an ex drag racer who built engines for that and drag boat racing, so all makes sense....
https://www.carmrades-blog.com/all-a...1990-eagle-700
Old 11 Aug 2019, 08:17 (Ref:3922272)   #4340
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Don't think one was ever at Brands.Remember watching one on the 2009 ( I think ) Silverstone Classic TV Programme with Murray Walker commentating.
One has run in historics at Brands but probably before your time - that makes me feel old!

What's more, Derek Gardner was engineering it. I was able to have a good natter with him & learned a lot that day.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 08:23 (Ref:3922273)   #4341
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
The last of the three links I posted says that the engine for that GTP was from an ex drag racer who built engines for that and drag boat racing, so all makes sense....
https://www.carmrades-blog.com/all-a...1990-eagle-700
Interesting article of a car I was never remotely aware of.
(Dont you love the internet and the ability it gives to unearth / upload such stuff!)
Old 11 Aug 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3922275)   #4342
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
(Dont you love the internet and the ability it gives to unearth / upload such stuff!)
Yes, the internet can be wonderful, and that piece is a very good example.

I’ve been dropping hints to a friend that could afford to bid for the Lola/Corvette/Peerless/Eagle Performance GTP, but as he’s just bought something else, the hints probably fell on stony ground.....
Old 11 Aug 2019, 09:39 (Ref:3922277)   #4343
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
EB I expect you know about 'Old Yeller'?
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 303.jpg  
Old 11 Aug 2019, 12:00 (Ref:3922284)   #4344
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
EB I expect you know about 'Old Yeller'?
Indeed Bob..... Old Yeller was here at Phillip Island, thanks to current custodian Ernie Nagamatsu, for the Historic Meeting a couple of years ago. (2018)

IIRC we also had the ex Shelby Allard J2 that year.

For those that want to know more about the car and history:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...old-yeller-ii/

http://ashcom.homestead.com/files/PDFFiles/83_tte.pdf
Old 11 Aug 2019, 17:36 (Ref:3922315)   #4345
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Just seen a bit on Beeb from RAF Lakenheath (bit south of here). The F15 Eagle maintenance dept is making replacement parts for the planes by 3D printing them. The printing tech is really getting serious now! (I was going to say ‘is really taking off’, but that would be corny....)
Old 11 Aug 2019, 18:01 (Ref:3922320)   #4346
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Just seen a bit on Beeb from RAF Lakenheath (bit south of here). The F15 Eagle maintenance dept is making replacement parts for the planes by 3D printing them. The printing tech is really getting serious now! (I was going to say ‘is really taking off’, but that would be corny....)

A lot of the orthopaedic replacement bits and pieces used by Noel Fitzpatrick's veterinary practice are produced by 3D printing in alloys that include impregnation to aid recovery and assimilation into the body. The parts' dimensions are determined from the CT/MRI scans on the animals that are injured/infected, and he also uses stem cells taken from the animals to pack around the new part fitted where they join the original bone.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 18:26 (Ref:3922322)   #4347
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
A lot of the orthopaedic replacement bits and pieces used by Noel Fitzpatrick's veterinary practice are produced by 3D printing in alloys that include impregnation to aid recovery and assimilation into the body. The parts' dimensions are determined from the CT/MRI scans on the animals that are injured/infected, and he also uses stem cells taken from the animals to pack around the new part fitted where they join the original bone.
It certainly is impressive technology! Did I read/hear that a lot of CNC machining of stuff will be replaced by printing?
Old 11 Aug 2019, 20:07 (Ref:3922337)   #4348
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought watching some trackside buildings being produced on a 3D printer for a layout in a local village hall was impressive enough!
Old 11 Aug 2019, 20:12 (Ref:3922338)   #4349
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It certainly is impressive technology! Did I read/hear that a lot of CNC machining of stuff will be replaced by printing?

I think that in one of Fitzgerald's earlier series, the engineering company that first produced these 3D printed artificial limb parts for him said that it was a natural progression from the CNC machining that they were doing before.

And only now are the NHS experimenting with similar technology. As Fitzgerald is fairly fond of saying on a pretty regular basis, the medical world are following, albeit slowly, the cutting edge technology and processes that Fitzpatrick and other large veterinary practices are doing on a regular basis. And their patients can't put into words what their medical problems are, unlike us humans.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 20:37 (Ref:3922342)   #4350
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

And only now are the NHS experimenting with similar technology. As Fitzgerald is fairly fond of saying on a pretty regular basis, the medical world are following, albeit slowly, the cutting edge technology and processes that Fitzpatrick and other large veterinary practices are doing on a regular basis. And their patients can't put into words what their medical problems are, unlike us humans.

The challenge, surely, for the NHS and their experts is that firstly they cannot be sure that the patient, despite some vocal communication capabilities (usually) is reporting things correctly (or even usefully) and secondly, as experts in some specific treatments, they already know what they are planning to do.

The wider challenge for the NHS and its funding is that the objective for the fix is that it should, ideally, last for life or for somewhere between 20 and 30 years if at all possible. Especially if replacing mechanical bits.

This would rarely be the requirement for any typical pet I can think of.

And of course if the pet's fix fails to last, cannot be repeated and the pet is thought to be in some kind of distress, there is always the option to gently relieve it of its suffering - something we are generally reluctant to do for humans even in the most extreme cases of need.

Against that background progress in the use of 3D printing or sintered castings, even just as a proof of concept test on a live subject, is, I would imagine, a much easier sell to the 'authorities that control veterinary practise than it would be to the NHS or medical insurers for humans.

Patients with a voice might also be a little disconcerted if they were told that some sort of implanted object was about to be created for the first time ever to treat their problem and no, they were not being asked to become part of a group control medical test and yes there were other treatment options they might wish to consider.

Still, the morals behind testing 3D printed widgets with unsuspecting animals is probably better than testing chemicals using Beagles.
Closed Thread