Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 3 Mar 2001, 09:58 (Ref:67771)   #26
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Heres what my cars modelled on.
Old 4 Mar 2001, 12:57 (Ref:68115)   #27
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My bodies aren't fancy, I just enjoy painting and stickering shells.
Old 4 Mar 2001, 13:01 (Ref:68116)   #28
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will post a new thread on R/C cars in a minute.....

There you go!
Old 26 Apr 2001, 18:42 (Ref:85412)   #29
Herminator
Racer

Herminator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
East Kilbride

Hi, I am new to RC cars, although I have experience in aircraft. I have seen some one respond to this forum about East Kilbride Model Car Club and since this is the nearest club to Glasgow I know of I was wondering if any one could give me some more details about the club, I have heard that they only race electric cars but I don;t know what scake or class of cars. I am a student at Strathclyde Uni. and have no car so any bus info or if it would be possible to get a lift from some one I would be very grateful for.Any info would be much appreciated.
Old 5 May 2001, 13:03 (Ref:89274)   #30
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I got a new R/C car last week. I've already built it and the shell needs spraying. It's a 1/10th scale Carson Opel Astra DTM nitro car, and I ran it in yesterday. I might paint it it eggport colours (green/black). What do you think?
Old 5 May 2001, 15:12 (Ref:89303)   #31
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First of all Egg Sport colours are green/blue but black might look better. I think it'd be quite cool looking. How did you manage to find this post again? It must have been miles down the list. I'm waiting till the end of this year to see if Tamiya launch a BTCC Astra Coupe. I don't think they have made a BTCC car since 96 |(or a model from 96).
Old 6 May 2001, 00:00 (Ref:89490)   #32
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris Y and I used to race RC cars at regional and national levels last year, but were put off by the mounting costs and how seriously some competitors took it, also by the fact that a lot of the time the guys who were winning were the ones who could afford to throw tons of money into it.

We have about 15 cars between us, racing from 80s Kyosho buggies like Optima Mids and Lazer ZXs, through cheap small Mardaves, to a Schumacher SST and Associated TC3 which were raced last year. We also have 2 Yokomo rally cars, which have my favourite paint jobs on, although all our cars are painted similarly as team colours.
Attached Thumbnails
2rallys.jpg  
Old 6 May 2001, 00:02 (Ref:89493)   #33
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another view:
Attached Thumbnails
2rallys2.jpg  
Old 6 May 2001, 09:29 (Ref:89580)   #34
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice rides!!

I`ve got a SST 2000 and just recently sold my Yokomo.
Had several different bodies including a(Australian)EF Ford Falcon painted in Shell/Dick Johnson Racing colours

I used to race but got put off by the costs etc..after a couple of years too
i still muck around with the touring car a bit but mainly use my Schumacher `Club 10` Truck, it`s heaps of fun bashing around in my back yard which is just sand and bush out there.
Old 6 May 2001, 16:07 (Ref:89692)   #35
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
touringlegend, I searched through my previous posts to find this. I thought that green and black would look good. I sprayed it last night and it looks quite decent.
masie, that Focus looks amazing, the same with the 206.
hypo, which Yokomo have you sold? Which SST model have you got because my brother has an SST 99 pro.
Old 6 May 2001, 16:33 (Ref:89696)   #36
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Please, please, please try to post a pic of your Astra soon Hobson. I'd love to see it!
Old 7 May 2001, 05:37 (Ref:89831)   #37
hypo
Racer

Hobson, my Yokomo was a YR4 and came with a carbon fibre chassis,it was some special version of the YR4 or something.It used to race in a class called (or what we called in Australia) Scale Sedans.I think Yokomo just modified an off road buggy to make it a `Scale Sedan` ,with just shorter `A` arms,shorter shocks and a few other bits and pieces.

My SST 2000 was the original so it`s pretty old now,i think i bought it in about `97.It has a 12D motor,M-tronics ESC and a standard Futaba servo and radio,and i just swap electronics between the truck and car.

Hope to see your new car posted up soon.
I`ll try to get some pics of my cars up soon.
Old 7 May 2001, 07:43 (Ref:89846)   #38
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They had a demo/exhibition of model car racing at the Brisbane Motor Show recently, a lot of people seemed keenly interested. A few of those involved seem to take it awfully seriously though. I wonder what it costs to buy/build a car and run it for a season.
Old 8 May 2001, 02:23 (Ref:90076)   #39
hypo
Racer

DAVID,
yes some people do take it VERY seriously
what type of cars were they?gas or electric powered

A proper racing chassis for an electric car can cost anything from $250A-$500A,back in about `96/`97 when i was racing
Then you have to get yourself an Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) this can cost $100-$300A,
A motor will cost $80A
Radios start at around $100A and can go right up to $800A for the flash jobbies.And you usually get a couple of servos with your radio,although you only need one for the steering in an electric car (the ESC looks after the going and stopping)
The all important batteries will cost around $80A, and you`ll need at least 3 or 4 of these to race.oh yeah,a basic charger will cost $100A.

Running costs-
1-Tyres are around $20A a pair,and will have to be replaced every 2-3 meetings,although you can get by with the tyres supplied with your chassis kit for a while,tyres are the best way to change your cars handling and the compound of these `kit` tyres are probably too hard for racing.
2-Batteries, you can never get enough of them and any spare cash is usually spent on these to make your days racing easier and more enjoyable(there is nothing worse than spending your day charging batteries in between heats when you should be servicing or playing with your cars setup.
3-Broken parts,this all depends on your driving skill and the guys you are racing with!

I`m no expert on gas powered cars so maybe someone else can fill us in on the costs associated,all i know is chassis start at around $500A

jeeez i got a bit carried away then.... but i hope this can be of help to anyone contemplating R/C racing

just one more little story--
At the Australian Gas Nationals held here in Perth a few years ago i did notice a guy using data logging on his car,he had 4 sensors (i think)on his car that recorded engine RPM etc....(the hardware and software was made by Serpent from (my very bad)memory.This is how serious it is getting and is just one of the reasons i gave up racing,unless you are sponsored it just gets too expensive if you want to be up the pointy end of the field.
Old 8 May 2001, 10:40 (Ref:90138)   #40
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The cars at the motor show were gas powered and going by the size of them I would guess they were about 1/10 scale.

If you tally all those numbers up, you're probably not far off racing a real car.

There was also an exhibtion of remote control drag racing, can you imagine any form of motor sport less involving or exciting?
Old 8 May 2001, 17:26 (Ref:90320)   #41
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Using data logging is a bit over the top, isn't it. I find that a bit sad, a guy having to go to that length, just to gain a few hundreds of a second probably.
Old 9 May 2001, 08:50 (Ref:90628)   #42
hypo
Racer

was probably a way to gain attention rather than gain a few hundreths
Old 18 May 2001, 23:10 (Ref:94153)   #43
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
look at this post! check out my last one posted on 18th May. what an animal that Lexus is!

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=9941
Old 20 May 2001, 10:00 (Ref:94434)   #44
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Thats a Tamiya Toyota Altezza isn't it? I've seen that on the HPI Racing website. Maybe you should go into its own forum and see some of the bodies that they have painted. They are quita good and some of the painter are very skilled, even better than me!
www.hpiracing.com

BTW, EGG:Sport Astra is painted, anyone know a site with close-up pics of it?
Old 20 May 2001, 10:24 (Ref:94436)   #45
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I hope this works:
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/products...ltezza_top.jpg

Last edited by Hobson; 20 May 2001 at 10:28.
Old 20 May 2001, 10:29 (Ref:94437)   #46
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hooray!
Old 20 May 2001, 12:28 (Ref:94463)   #47
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Try www.redshoes-racing.com , or www.egg.com <they have a Egg:Sport section.

BTW can you imagine the downforce from all those extra wings/body panels???

What chassis is that for TLO1, or what wheelbase is it 257mm?

Last edited by touringlegend; 20 May 2001 at 12:29.
Old 21 May 2001, 06:32 (Ref:94689)   #48
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
That Altezza is for the new Tamiya TA-O4 but it should fit your TL-O1 fine because the wheelbase it about 257mm.

Cheers for the redshoes site, now I can print the right stickers!
Old 21 May 2001, 13:31 (Ref:94797)   #49
Herminator
Racer

Herminator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Printig stickers

Hi, I just saw that some one mentioned printing stickers for the bdy work of a car and I was wondering what I would need to get to do this, I already have a printer but is there any special printing material I can get. I am new to model cars, eagerly awaiting my first kit to arrive by snail mail, and with my artistic skills I hope to create a few custom paint jobs. Any onfo much apreciated.
Old 21 May 2001, 16:32 (Ref:94836)   #50
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Printing stickers is like this:

1. Go into a stationary shop to get some sticky backed white paper.
2. Look for a good sticker design on the web ( www.team-orion.ch ).
3. Print the design onto the paper.
4. After drying (About 3 hours), use a scalpel or a stanley knife to cut the design out from the sheet.
5. Stick the design onto the outside of the shell.
6. Sit back and take a good look at your handiwork.......