Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 16 Aug 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1684590)   #1
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A change to your programme

This is as good a place to start my campain as any. I want the programme information to tell me each driver's personal best for the venue. Since the battle is always against the clock then this gives us a much better idea of how the driver is doing that day - his car may be 3 seconds off the class pace, but if he's going ½ second quicker than he's managed before that's quite an acheivement and deserves a round of applause on the way down.

Instead we always get the driver's home town, which I've never quite seen the point of. Handy if you want to burgle him while he's competing, I suppose.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 22:07 (Ref:1684597)   #2
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a good idea to me...
As you say........Is it really important to know where the driver lives ?
Old 16 Aug 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1684615)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
Sounds like a good idea to me...
As you say........Is it really important to know where the driver lives ?
I have to admit I've never really seen why programmes need to include the driver's place of residence. That said, I suppose it has some use in deducing whether Mr X at venue A is the same Mr X that was seen in a different car at venue B, but then that is not exactly foolproof.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 06:51 (Ref:1684682)   #4
quickbadgers
Rookie

United Kingdom
quickbadgers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On some entry forms drivers have to enter their personal best anyway, shouldn't be too difficult to tie everything up surely!
Old 17 Aug 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1684792)   #5
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Computer Aided Design?

I would have thought that with most clubs now having dragged themselves kicking and screaming into the 21st Century and started using computers that they could quiet easily set up a database of personal best times.

This does actually fall flat on its face when someone 'downgrades' and enteres a different car/class (e.g. Jon Waggitt at this coming week-ends Shelsley meeting is switching from the 2 litre Reynard which he has sold to the 1600 Brabham.

Obviously the system would have to be more complex holding personal best by car and capacity.

Starting to get a tad too complex for the organisers to get a grasp of!
Old 17 Aug 2006, 08:55 (Ref:1684799)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it not an MSA requirement? May be wrong, I seem to recall something along those lines.

Very useful for journalists.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1684836)   #7
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent idea Woolley,I agree it would add a lot of interest (although I quite like to know where drivers come from as well).

Success to your campaign!
Old 17 Aug 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1684857)   #8
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought the location was a historical thing, from back in the days when it was a long way to travel for a motor race.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1684974)   #9
Matt Dillon
Racer

England
Dudley
Matt Dillon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good idea Chris.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1685007)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jan started me thinking. Someone in something ordinary set an unspectacular time that was nearly a second faster than his previous best because he found the courage to commit more to the corners, and was mega excited at the result. I'd rather like to know about those sort of things, and it seems simple to achieve.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1685046)   #11
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
A volunteer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Jan started me thinking. Someone in something ordinary set an unspectacular time that was nearly a second faster than his previous best because he found the courage to commit more to the corners, and was mega excited at the result. I'd rather like to know about those sort of things, and it seems simple to achieve.
Well done Wooley for volunteering to set up and maintain the database!

Best of luck mate!
Old 17 Aug 2006, 19:26 (Ref:1685355)   #12
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson

Best of luck mate!
well he is an expert with Excel and has not much else to do all day (he does "work" for a local council) and even finds time in the evenings to be a Mod.

As Steve says........

everyone put their hands together and welcome our new (unofficial)......

"Notifier of Bests" or NoB's to his friends.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 23:06 (Ref:1685550)   #13
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
There is another good reason for publishing this info. Many of the club championships are based competitors performance against arbitrary times set for their class. Near the end of the season, a competitor whos scored well against the club championship might be aiming for solid consistant times rather than blitzing their class. In that circumstance, a measured consistant run could arguably require as much skill and dicipline as a class record run.

Being able to compare PB against their class would make it easier for occasional speccies to identify which competitors are likely to be challenging for club championships as well as class wins, which sometimes, is the only explanation for people persisting in classes with very small numbers of entries.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 23:47 (Ref:1685586)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson

Best of luck mate!
No, nooooo! I just want it in the programme - the driver can put it on his entry form! He can even lie if he wants to, but we may notice if someone is suddenly 20 secs quicker than his previous best!
Old 18 Aug 2006, 07:31 (Ref:1685721)   #15
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
No, nooooo! I just want it in the programme - the driver can put it on his entry form! He can even lie if he wants to, but we may notice if someone is suddenly 20 secs quicker than his previous best!
So what is the point of it if it isn't acurate? It would be as much use as his Town of Residence!

Old 18 Aug 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1685957)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Well, I'd prefer them to tell the truth, but they could lie about their home town too. Maybe it's there for Rescue when they're trying to establish if someone's brain's still working:

"Where do you live?"
"Not sure, can I borrow your programme?"
Old 18 Aug 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1686305)   #17
RED21
Rookie

RED21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

As a competitor and spectator, I would also like to see the drivers PB time printed in programmes.
Besides the comparing one driver's run to their best, it can also show which competitors are on the ball in a double driven car.

For those of you who will be at Gurston next weekend, if I am within 0.5 seconds of my PB time (38.66s) I will turn the headlights on the return run so you will all know how well the run went or not.

Rich
Old 18 Aug 2006, 21:55 (Ref:1686342)   #18
Mike Dodman
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Mike Dodman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent idea - I suggested it 1 -2 years ago to an MAC committee member at Shelsley after realising what an important role it plays in athletics. Also, after studying the results closely after a "club" event, I realised that a friend had achieved a PB. When I rang to congratulate him, he was really delighted that someone else knew what a "winner" he had been that day.
Hope your campaign succeeds.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1687686)   #19
Pike
Racer

Pike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant see what the difference is really Woolley - rescue can ask them what their PB is on that venue, then go away for 30 seconds to get a programme and see if its correct!! Good idea, I cant really see the point in home towns unless you can work out how the said driver is going to get his mangled heap of metal home which he drove to the event................
Old 20 Aug 2006, 23:01 (Ref:1687787)   #20
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dodman
I suggested it 1 -2 years ago to an MAC committee member at Shelsley
Ah, so it's you that's got the key to the crypt.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1694139)   #21
RED21
Rookie

RED21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Head lights are now turned on

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED21
For those of you who will be at Gurston next weekend, if I am within 0.5 seconds of my PB time (38.66s) I will turn the headlights on the return run so you will all know how well the run went or not.
Well I managed to get within 0.5 seconds of my PB time with a 38.99s, but this was only good enough for second in class.