Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 Jun 2002, 20:52 (Ref:317852)   #1
Midge
Rookie

Midge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the future?

Thinking back to my reasons for leaving car marshalling.....which I won't go into.......but what does everyone think is the future of car racing in Britain......we all see and know of races being cancelled due to lack of entries, half full grids, lack of TV coverage for many aspects of the sport and therefore the lack of sponsorship for drivers etc but is there a way out of the current doldrums or will we continue in the hope that someone will come along to rescue the sport???
I used to enjoy the variety of car racing with everything from a BOSS champ round at Thruxton to watching Fiesta Zetecs at Brands, buzzing like a nest of wasps.....so what has gone wrong....is it the costs to the teams? the lack of sponsorship? lack of TV coverage? lack of spectators? lack of enthusiasm for a sport we've produced many world champs in or is it something else.....something that CAN be fixed before it's too late?????
Old 21 Jun 2002, 11:59 (Ref:318175)   #2
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too many race meetings and too many formulae - thus spreading the available resources too thinly.

The MSA keep going on about streamlining the sport but still keep allowing people to register new championships without scrapping the old ones - but then no driver wants their formula the be the one for the chop as it reduces the value of their cars.

Amalgamation of similar categories works ok for a while - look at the super-coupes - but even that has problems now as they split it into two races when numbers went up but now seem reluctant to recombine them again now that grids are declining.

Last edited by Flagman; 21 Jun 2002 at 11:59.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 20:55 (Ref:319936)   #3
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your not wrong today at Croft there was an hour race for 8 cars yet the Northern Saloons with a grid of 24 didn't get a race because of th 6pm curfew at Croft Now to my mind if a championship can't produce a decent gid then no Race or at the very least you go to the end of the day & take your chances.
We have enough difficulty getting marshalls to some events giving them poor racing isn't going to encourage them to return.
Please note i did say give the marshals a good race because with the number of spectators at some club meetings it makes me wonder if it is worth the hassle & extra cost to have them there. You never know we might even get a few more marshals if that is the only way to see an event.
This alredy happens with some rallies.