Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 6 Sep 2008, 10:30 (Ref:2282756)   #1
Blazerteam
Rookie

Blazerteam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vauxhall Vectra nr 10 1993 BTCC

Hello .Have been lurking around here for a while,and reading lots of stories and history.The reason to this thread are that a friend have aquired a Vauxhall Vectra that was built by Ray Mallock in 1993 for BTCC.

Its car nr 10 of the 26 built.It has been driven by Clelland and Thomsen supposedly.

Some pics.

It was bought in Denmark this summer,where it had been standing outside for some years.So theres a major overhaul being done this autumn-winter.The new owner wish to use it at various track events here in Norway.

The front suspension have been dismantled,and shows a extreme craftmanship being done in the nineties at RML.

Engine compartment has been taken down to bare steel and are now painted as it was in 93.The car will be restored back to 93 configuration.

So the BIG question.Are there anyone having pics or anything related to this car(s)?
Old 6 Sep 2008, 11:33 (Ref:2282791)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Your question might kick start a Archive/chassis numbers thread if there isn't one already!

If this is a '93 car then Cleland and perhaps Allam would've driven it new. I seem to recall Ian Khan and Ian Ashley both raced second hand early build RML Cavaliers in the BTCC in '94 and '95.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 12:58 (Ref:2282822)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Your question might kick start a Archive/chassis numbers thread if there isn't one already!

If this is a '93 car then Cleland and perhaps Allam would've driven it new. I seem to recall Ian Khan and Ian Ashley both raced second hand early build RML Cavaliers in the BTCC in '94 and '95.

If,as I suspect,that is the Cavalier as opposed to Vectra,I think it is more than likely I was involved in the fabrication of the Shell and Suspension components,it is certainly not one of the 93/94 cars,they had a panel welded into the front bulkhead where the heater should be,used to be a 5mm flange all around it.We changed that in 94/95,looked a lot tidier and smoother.Certainly the Air jacks look very familiar.Do you have any close up shots of the rear interior? if so, I could tell you more.The central tunnel [exhaust]should run front to back with cruciform tubing welded to the floor/cage mounts etx.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 13:23 (Ref:2282835)   #4
Blazerteam
Rookie

Thanks for the information.Appreciate it a lot,and especially the owner .

The history that follows the car,is that it was upgraded for the 95 season by RML.Thats probably the reason the heater box look like the 95 and up.

Havent got any pics from the rear compartment,but will fix that later today
Old 6 Sep 2008, 23:18 (Ref:2283099)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 93/94 Cavaliers were built by Dave Cook,Mallocks only ran the 94 car,we did not build it,the 95 was entirly built in-house,all of the suspension,body was originally the South African Shell,heavy duty inner sills of 3 mm thickness,we could then weld the cage directly to them.The original roof had a sliding roof so the whole roof was replaced with the UK non slider panel.
I think that perhaps the inner front wheel arches have been altered,the welding looks to be a little untidy now,certainly would not have been acceptable.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 23:20 (Ref:2283101)   #6
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's an ex-David Leslie car. http://www.supertouringregister.com/...vehicle/67.php

I'd love to see that back in 1993 livery.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 07:54 (Ref:2283189)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
That explains rather a lot,the thing that was confusing me was the inner front arches,the welding was certainly not done 94,the other thing is the suspension ,that is most certainly from 94 onwards.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2283811)   #8
Blazerteam
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
If,as I suspect,that is the Cavalier as opposed to Vectra,I think it is more than likely I was involved in the fabrication of the Shell and Suspension components,it is certainly not one of the 93/94 cars,they had a panel welded into the front bulkhead where the heater should be,used to be a 5mm flange all around it.We changed that in 94/95,looked a lot tidier and smoother.Certainly the Air jacks look very familiar.Do you have any close up shots of the rear interior? if so, I could tell you more.The central tunnel [exhaust]should run front to back with cruciform tubing welded to the floor/cage mounts etx.
So good to get so much information .

More pics.

The last picture shows a cylinder of some sort at the roll bar.Is there someone who knows what its used for?.

The car looks to have been dark grey inside all its time,but on some of the pictures its white inside.Maybe it was painted inside in 95 when it was rebuilt..

One problem now,are that we cant get new wheel bearings for the front.They are angle contact bearings(may have another name for them in Uk).125x100x13mm.Are there someone that have them in England?
Old 7 Sep 2008, 19:14 (Ref:2283875)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
It is definitly a 93 car,the first that RML built before they got the DTV contract from Cooks.If you mean the cylinder with the thread,that is the third air jack.The cars that were built in 94 for the 95 championship were only ever painted in white,one coat of primer,one of topcoat,we were on a very strict diet!.As for the bearings,they must still be available,look for the part numbers on one side of the outter race,not really sure but I think the were GKN.

Not sure what happened but the last photos have only just come up!!

Last edited by terence; 7 Sep 2008 at 19:18.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2284103)   #10
Europall
Rookie

Norway
Mo I Rana
Europall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.tvedt-racing.net/?page=ga...bilder_moirana

pictures from the last time the car raced on acr in 2002

Last edited by Europall; 7 Sep 2008 at 22:08.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 23:13 (Ref:2284177)   #11
Blazerteam
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
It is definitly a 93 car,the first that RML built before they got the DTV contract from Cooks.If you mean the cylinder with the thread,that is the third air jack.The cars that were built in 94 for the 95 championship were only ever painted in white,one coat of primer,one of topcoat,we were on a very strict diet!.As for the bearings,they must still be available,look for the part numbers on one side of the outter race,not really sure but I think the were GKN.

Not sure what happened but the last photos have only just come up!!
There are no part numbers on the outer or inner race.No script or names.GKN you say.Must check that.

The cylinder i mean are mounted on the roll bar in the passenger front door.There are some wires to it.

All the pics didnt show at first,but seems alright now .
Old 8 Sep 2008, 09:24 (Ref:2284461)   #12
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
It's an ex-David Leslie car. http://www.supertouringregister.com/...vehicle/67.php

I'd love to see that back in 1993 livery.
There's a couple of appealing livery options for that one- I always liked Nigel Smith's HMSO Books colours as well- apart from anything else, it has to be one of the more unusual BTCC sponsors...

#010 has got quite a remarkable history - raced in the UK, Sweden, the USA and Norway- a very well-travelled car!

Fascinating pics- I was a major Cleland/Leslie/Vauxhall fan at the time, so it's interesting to see one of these up close and in detail

Last edited by KA; 8 Sep 2008 at 09:30.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2284546)   #13
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes I liked that one as well - Team HMSO Cavalier.

I was always fascinated by the column gearshift RML pioneered with this car.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 13:58 (Ref:2284715)   #14
Blazerteam
Rookie

Im trying to convince the owner that this car need to get the Hmso livery,but he want a white car done like Cleland 95...

I think it rocks this way in blue and black .

The cylinder on the roll bar anyone?.

Whats its purpose?
Old 8 Sep 2008, 15:00 (Ref:2284752)   #15
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
kurtiejjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerteam
Im trying to convince the owner that this car need to get the Hmso livery,but he want a white car done like Cleland 95...
Please not another car in Cleland 1995 livery
Old 8 Sep 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2284805)   #16
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Tell him we all want something different!
Old 8 Sep 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2284822)   #17
Blazerteam
Rookie

Maybe he will come here and stand up for his plans .

Congratulations.You have car number 14 in the Cleland 95 livery .
Old 8 Sep 2008, 20:19 (Ref:2285020)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
When the 95 cars were livered,it took three days to apply the decals to both the Cleland and Alum cars.I always thought the Cleland Grey and Blue looked far better than Alums Grey and Orange,but Nigels,being a privateer looked the best.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2285369)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
'95? I thought those liveries were in 1994?
Old 9 Sep 2008, 08:50 (Ref:2285377)   #20
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
'95? I thought those liveries were in 1994?
I think you're right chunterer, the liveries terence bower is reffering to are the 1994 ones; with Cleland's car in bleu/grey GM card livery
Old 9 Sep 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2285481)   #21
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerteam
I'd much rather see it in one of its' original liveries- either Ecurie Ecosse blue or Nigel Smith's HMSO colours- much nicer than the '95 Vauxhall white colourscheme- apart from anything else, there are already a couple around like that- I think both of Mike Newton's cars (one of them is the ex-Cleland championship winning car AFAIK) are in '95 Vauxhall colours
Old 9 Sep 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2285491)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does this model run a sequential shift or H-pattern?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 9 Sep 2008, 15:05 (Ref:2285648)   #23
wheadon
Racer

England
Carlisle/Newcastle
wheadon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's a sequential shift, the shifter is behind the steering wheel. to the left
Old 9 Sep 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2285694)   #24
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
I'd much rather see it in one of its' original liveries- either Ecurie Ecosse blue or Nigel Smith's HMSO colours- much nicer than the '95 Vauxhall white colourscheme- apart from anything else, there are already a couple around like that- I think both of Mike Newton's cars (one of them is the ex-Cleland championship winning car AFAIK) are in '95 Vauxhall colours
Mike Newton has the 2 1994 and 2 1995 cars. The 1994 car was raced in 1995 colours a couple of years back.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 16:07 (Ref:2285708)   #25
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
Mike Newton has the 2 1994 and 2 1995 cars. The 1994 car was raced in 1995 colours a couple of years back.
I don't want to offend the man, but why on earth has he got 4 cavaliers?