Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 2 Dec 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2798803)   #1
Ti-Tourist (Erik)
Rookie

Netherlands
Ti-Tourist (Erik) should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UK trackdays for foreigners (NL) - advice?

Dear all,

Until now, I've done a few trackdays through the Dutch BMW Drivers Club and www.driving-fun.com - which organise days at mainly Benelux circuits. There are excursions to the Ring & some French tracks, but none of them are looking at the UK.

I would like to participate in a novice UK trackday at tracks like Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park, Knockhill, Thruxton etc.- in my perception "smaller / less famous" circuits, but very involving to drive. I'm thrilled by the Nordschleife and Charade (remains of the old Clermont-Ferrand circuit), and I'm looking for something similar in the UK.

It should be a day which has normal road cars & full blown racers in a reasonable mix. I'd hate feeling like a guppy in a piranha pond - being the only road legal car out there, so to speak. I've driven a RSR Alfa 75 amongst VLN Aston DBR9's piloted by Klaus Ludwig and the speed difference was immense and therefore quite intimidating.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start, which organisers are good / bad, what the atmosphere is at such respective trackdays. Am I allowed in without a racing driver licence? Could I get insurance as a non-UK-resident?

Any advice / hints / tips would be very welcome.

Erik
Old 7 Dec 2010, 10:17 (Ref:2800768)   #2
ClubMSV
Rookie

ClubMSV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Erik,

I work for Club MSV and we organise trackday events at all five of our circuits in the UK (Brands Hatch, Oulton Park, Snetterton, Cadwell Park and Bedford Autodrome).

I would be more than happy to discuss trackday options with you and answer your queries. Please feel free to contact me at nick.rice@clubmsv.co.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Nick Rice
Club MSV
www.clubmsv.co.uk
Old 7 Dec 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2800866)   #3
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Erik - are you looking to bring your car across on the ferry, or to rent a track car over here. If its the former Cadwell, Croft and Snetterton are on the east coast, so aren't far from the North Sea ferry ports (although Croft has lots of noise issues). Cadwell is the UK Charade, although a bit narrower.

I've used Bookatrack, Goldtrack and Easytrack who are all good operators (Goldtrack is a bit more "premium"), and have cars to hire if needed. (I've only ever done test days and races with MSV above - but I'm sure their trackdays are just as good).
Old 13 Dec 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2803972)   #4
Ti-Tourist (Erik)
Rookie

Netherlands
Ti-Tourist (Erik) should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for your replies. I'm not looking to rent anything, just bring my car across the Channel, get to the track, enjoy a few hours of lapping round the circuit, find a hotel and that's it. If possible I'd like to try & schedule 2 / 3 trackdays in a two week period & just drive there, enjoy a nearby big city, local roads etc.

It's something I'd like to do in May / June next year, after renovations of my house have finished. Better weather to enjoy everything too.

Nick, thanks for the offer. I'll send you an e-mail in the near future. Maybe I could get a few of my friends to participate as well.