Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

View Poll Results: What really Winds you up Bigstylee
Rain 0 0%
Boring 3hour races with two cars and no real race 13 33.33%
Jobsworth little Hitler security 5 12.82%
Bernie 0 0%
Marshals who panic 6 15.38%
Spectators who don't look after their kids 9 23.08%
Clubs that don't even give you a spare ticket or free coffee in the morning 3 7.69%
Photographers 1 2.56%
The fact that you never ever win the raffle. 1 2.56%
Drivers 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Jun 2002, 12:46 (Ref:312596)   #26
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ummmmmm we dont wear Orange here in Victoria.....
Old 13 Jun 2002, 12:57 (Ref:312612)   #27
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
u dont go to Phillip Island much then do u flaggie ????? but then again who wants to be a JAFFA??
Old 13 Jun 2002, 13:19 (Ref:312638)   #28
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I thought it might be aimed at our freinds at Silverstone, hence the comment sorry guys.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 17:47 (Ref:312866)   #29
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Don't worry!

Neil was referring to 3 trainee marshals he had on post at Castle Combe. They weren't interested in anything exept getting to watch the racing for free. It wouldn't have been too bad only he was covering Tower in less than a week after the horrendous shunt where a saloon went over the armco. These three twerps were so obviously just in it for the free tickets that they were half way through a season and didn't think shelling out for probans was worth it!
Old 13 Jun 2002, 18:07 (Ref:312882)   #30
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I see. In that case they should be politely asked to leave in my opinion.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 19:09 (Ref:312933)   #31
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
When I do fill in the forms (I'm too busy this Summer, so I'll wait till after - but I'll do it, honest) I won't buy probans for at least a little while, as #1 I'm skint but, the main reason #2 is that I'm still growing at a rapid rate - and any that I did buy wouldn't fit within a short space of time - so at the minute it wouldn't be worth it.

After a while I will be getting the proban though: or at least beg for an Xmas pressy!!
Old 13 Jun 2002, 19:15 (Ref:312941)   #32
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok... Boxing gloves on, outside now, come on, come on..
In the car park , you and me right now....
Old 13 Jun 2002, 19:23 (Ref:312951)   #33
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Asp, no-one has a problem with someone who genuinely can't afford to get the kit right away. It's people who don't take the marshalling seriously and just use it as an excuse to get into racing free that are really the issue.

The lack of Proban is simply a symptom of it.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 23:13 (Ref:313156)   #34
PPitstop
Rookie

PPitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my biggest problems is marhals who artn't up to the job. Some people are not big enough to admid they can't can't do a 100m sprint. I will admit to it, therefore I flag.
I'm off the fags and out cycling everyday. I will get there soon, hopefully.

Last edited by PPitstop; 13 Jun 2002 at 23:18.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 08:30 (Ref:313331)   #35
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Marshals who think they know everything there is to know and they have nothing left to learn. IME experience, they're never as good as they think they are.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 08:34 (Ref:313332)   #36
PPitstop
Rookie

PPitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will definitly agree with you on that one EP.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 09:07 (Ref:313341)   #37
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't agree more - have always felt that the day I think I know everything there is to know about flagging is the day to move up to being an observer - cos at that point I will have become sod all use as a flag marshal. ( 27 years later I still haven't got a signature on my observers grading card )
Old 14 Jun 2002, 09:51 (Ref:313363)   #38
N M Ramsden
Rookie

Wales
Portskewett, Monmouthshire
N M Ramsden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I apologise to all of the Silverstone Marshals out there... These 3 guys were really bizarre !!! OK we must try to help trainee marshals but when they have no interest in marshalling and not enough common sense to react in an incident you have to worry. At one point I had to tell the guys to look out for cars coming at him as he continuously had his back turned to the track talking to his sister/wife/lover/aunt or possibly all four. I am going to write to the chief marshal and advise that I think that these Amigos be seperated.

OK i'm not perfect and am still learning (as I think we all are) but these guys were there for a free ride.

I marshalled a post down from these guys at a previous meeting. They had a simple pull off to deal with and what do they do.... Jump straight trackside then run up the side of the track to the car. Then they block the escape lane at exit of a chicane with the vehicle and try unsuccessfully to bump start it 3 times !!! Then they try to fix the car for the driver !!!!!!! We had to report them on 2 occassions throughout the day for stupid/unsafe things that they were doing.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 00:23 (Ref:321699)   #39
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by N M Ramsden
I apologise to all of the Silverstone Marshals out there... These 3 guys were really bizarre !!! OK we must try to help trainee marshals but when they have no interest in marshalling and not enough common sense to react in an incident you have to worry. At one point I had to tell the guys to look out for cars coming at him as he continuously had his back turned to the track talking to his sister/wife/lover/aunt or possibly all four. I am going to write to the chief marshal and advise that I think that these Amigos be seperated.

Believe it or not, Caron & I got them on Avon Rise on Sunday for the GT/F3's at Combe! Luckily, we also had Gary Tanner, for my money one of the best Observers out there, in charge. He split the post to three teams and put one with each team. I tried to be objective and see the best in the situation. Sadly, I had to come to the conclusion that if we had something nasty to deal with they wouldn't be of much help. Mind you, the one lad did have a collection of boils on his hands which would have been a useful training exersise for the medical crews

I agree it is too harsh to expect people to buy Probans immediately that they start into marshalling, but there are some things that common sense dictates. If I remember correctly, the group came to a Formula3/GT event without anything but the clothes on their back. How many here would support the wisdom of coming to an event without gloves, food, suncream, good boots, waterproofs and maybe earplugs? OK, you could miss one or two of those if you were heavily cash strapped, but coming with none and putting yourself on as a marshal to save the ticket price must be just foolhardy? I support Neil's views. Surely if they carry on, they'll end up with an injury? Ok, I'm wrong to look down my nose at them, but that said, I don't want to see anybody harmed.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 06:48 (Ref:321813)   #40
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I wonder if I will 'bump into them' this weekend at Brands for the F3 meeting?
Old 26 Jun 2002, 08:31 (Ref:321860)   #41
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by b1ackcr0w

How many here would support the wisdom of coming to an event without gloves, food, suncream, good boots, waterproofs and maybe earplugs?
Hell, I'd take those to a circuit even if I was going to be spectating as, I suspect, would anyone who's spent any amount of time hanging round race circuits subject to the whims of circuit weather!

Quote:
Originally posted by b1ackcr0w

Ok, I'm wrong to look down my nose at them, but that said, I don't want to see anybody harmed.
I don't think you're looking down your nose at them - you're genuinely concerned for their safety and the effect they will have on a team trying to marshal - nothing wrong with that hon! The first rule is your own safety first - but let's face it - we all worry about our team members as well. How can anyone possibly take care of themselves and an incident if you're looking over your shoulder to see if boil boy is even watching the traffic.

Anyone willing to learn/participate - fine. People who don't even care enough to look after their basic needs of food, water and comfort are probably not going to care enough to look after their own safety on the track either.

Just some thoughts.....
Old 26 Jun 2002, 12:52 (Ref:322073)   #42
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
I wonder if I will 'bump into them' this weekend at Brands for the F3 meeting?
Hmm, I think they'd consider travelling to a foreign country like Kent to lavish an expence. However, if Boil Boy were to pop a pustule, the resulting sudden release of preassure might just propel them that far.

Thx EPW

Last edited by b1ackcr0w; 26 Jun 2002 at 12:53.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 13:29 (Ref:322102)   #43
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Hmm, must remember to tke the protective glasses with me this weekend. Tks Crow!