Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 Jun 2002, 05:41 (Ref:317331)   #1
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question from a driver

As a driver looking to upgrade his license to National A status, I noticed that one of the race signatures can be substituted for a signature given for a days marshalling.

I wouldn't mind doing this anyway, not because I need the signature as I should have enough, but because I wouldn't mind spending a day to see what it's like. Hopefully, I could learn a few things as well.

So basically, how would I go about doing it? Brands would be the closest circuit to me. Also, what would I expect to be doing?

Cheers

Richy
Old 20 Jun 2002, 10:52 (Ref:317491)   #2
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have certainly had 3 or 4 drivers on our post at Come and Thruxton over the past 4 years. We even had David Leslie for a full day on the chicane ; he enjoyed it immensely and tried flagging for a race just to see how tricky good blue flagging really is.

He spent a whole day in probans, talked to us all, listened more and got his gloves dirty when we had 4 Palmer Audis off in the last race of the season. He said he obtained a whole new perspective on how we actually run a post and just what is involved.

The other drivers were with us for a variety of reasons...I believe one had blown an engine in testing earlier in the week . They stayed a morning with us and moved to a different perspective in the afternoon. They did indeed get a signature, but more importantly realised at the end of the day that we are out there for anything up to 8 hours ( and more at Donington!) just for the love of the sport.

They also began to appreciate the huge social mix of characters that make up a crew, the number of skills required, the dedication and the element of personal danger that exists the whole time.

Just one day on the bank with an articulate bunch ( arn't we all) would stand any driver in good stead . I'm willing to bet that that day would stick in the mind longer than many normal days racing!

And each time we hosted a driver, we picked up useful information too.

Look forward to seeing you.....
Old 20 Jun 2002, 11:40 (Ref:317526)   #3
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Cheers,

That's the sort of thing I was hoping for, but how would I actually go about volunteering for a day? Do I speak directly to the circuit or a marshalls club, or should I just turn up and say 'can I have a go?'

Richy
Old 20 Jun 2002, 11:55 (Ref:317543)   #4
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richy, why not come and spend a day on the bank with us at Castle Combe, where you will get a very warm welcome and some interesting humour thrown in too. We are a small band of idiots with Martin Shalders (Black Adder) remaining mainly in charge despite the 'old trouble' flaring up occasionally. Then there are 'Bob' & 'Balders', flag marshals, or at least go under that guise, then there is, 'Bald Eagle' nice man but rather too tall. Also we have 'Scruufy Jeff', OK in the mornings but do not get too close on a hot afternoon in late December. We must not forget to introduce you too 'Windy Trevor', he of the Stella and pate fame, if you must light a match do it upwind. If you want a signature, do not worry we are all certified, must go as I am currently planning a trip to Jupiter - Balders
Old 20 Jun 2002, 12:05 (Ref:317547)   #5
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, I almost forgot to mention 'Gilko', decent sort of chap and is more than willing to wear your teeth for a few hours if they are bothering you, has however this nasty 'Jack Russell' habit against your leg, but do not worry it generally washes out OK. - Balders
Old 20 Jun 2002, 12:22 (Ref:317560)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Richy, if it's Brands you wish to marshal at, may I suggest you e-mail Alec Spooner, Chief Marshal there and explain what it is you want to do. I have had a couple of drivers spend the day with me on post over the past two years and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I think we can all learn from each other which is why it's such a good idea.

If you PM me I will give you Alec's e-mail address ok?

Wherever you end up doing your 'day on the banks' I hope you enjoy the experience. It's a shame we can't do it the other way round really, spend the day in your car!
Old 20 Jun 2002, 12:34 (Ref:317573)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Richy_Rich
That's the sort of thing I was hoping for, but how would I actually go about volunteering for a day? Do I speak directly to the circuit or a marshalls club, or should I just turn up and say 'can I have a go?'
Your best approach would be to contact the chief marshal of the organising club. Contact details may be found on the club's website - they are for BRSCC - or ask here & somebody will be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 12:41 (Ref:317577)   #8
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Rich,
Lydden Hill are holding a meeting run by the 750 Motor Club at the last weekend of this month. If you approach 750 MC I will be at that meeting for both days and you can ask to go on the bank with me and I will show you what we marshals get upto.
Regards,
Richard Sneader...
Incident Officer, red black/ 396
Old 20 Jun 2002, 12:48 (Ref:317585)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Even better, there's an HSCC meeting at Brands this weekend on the GP circuit! Now that WILL be fun
Old 20 Jun 2002, 13:13 (Ref:317602)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
oh God Richy, you've started a fight now. Tell you what, if you don't want to go out on a circuit with these loonies, come to Kirkistown and we'll take much better care of you

How come when I say I'm free for a weekend, no-one ever fights over ME

Old 20 Jun 2002, 13:32 (Ref:317619)   #11
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Haha, so much choice.

Not so sure you'd want a go in my car if you saw it...heh.

Cheers to everyone for replying, I'll have a look into it and let you know how I get on, I'm quite looking forward to it actually.

Richy
Old 20 Jun 2002, 20:34 (Ref:317839)   #12
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Even better, there's an HSCC meeting at Brands this weekend on the GP circuit! Now that WILL be fun
Richy

Contact me asap by private email if you wish to marshal on either Saturday or Sunday this coming weekend. Details can also be found on the thread "HSCC Brands Hatch Superprix" elsewhere in this forum.

Peter Scillitoe
Chief Marshal
Old 21 Jun 2002, 10:08 (Ref:318119)   #13
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Peter,

Cheers for the offer, I won't be able to make this weekend though due to other commitments.

Richy
Old 24 Jun 2002, 14:54 (Ref:320446)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
How about next weekend Rich? F3's at Brands...
Old 24 Jun 2002, 16:52 (Ref:320517)   #15
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Haha, love to Stephen. Unfortunately, I have TWO weddings this weekend (Fri & Sat) and on Sunday I'm changing me valve springs (pah!).

I still haven't got around to emailing Alec, but I will, I do want to do this. I mentioned it to my Girlfriend in passing and she may well be interested in having a go as well, she's quite a hands-on girlfriend when it comes to racing
Old 25 Jun 2002, 06:56 (Ref:320979)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
She would be welcome anytime and hopefully enjoy herself to boot!
Old 25 Jun 2002, 08:06 (Ref:321009)   #17
wiggles
Rookie

wiggles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Haha, love to Stephen. Unfortunately, I have TWO weddings this weekend (Fri & Sat) and on Sunday I'm changing me valve springs (pah!).

I still haven't got around to emailing Alec, but I will, I do want to do this. I mentioned it to my Girlfriend in passing and she may well be interested in having a go as well, she's quite a hands-on girlfriend when it comes to racing
Two weddings? Must.... resist... temptation... of... obvious.... joke...

gaaah!
Old 25 Jun 2002, 08:56 (Ref:321068)   #18
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Two weddings and a valve spring change? Not sure I follow...
Old 25 Jun 2002, 09:48 (Ref:321105)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
This is getting very funerial
Old 25 Jun 2002, 11:14 (Ref:321167)   #20
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
must resist...must resist....
Quote:
she's quite a hands-on girlfriend
Old 25 Jun 2002, 17:13 (Ref:321388)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
And there was me thinking it was my funerial comment you were resisting!
Old 25 Jun 2002, 20:39 (Ref:321529)   #22
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bodysnatcher
must resist...must resist....
Quote:
she's quite a hands-on girlfriend

Resistance is futile

You will be assimilated