Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 21 Jun 2005, 17:33 (Ref:1336198)   #1
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans, Le Mans, Le Mans...,

Two ways of looking at this:

1. Le Mans is itself a fantastic motor-racing event that generates enough interest for its own forum, and therefore deserves to have it's own forum (or possibly a forum for "one-off international sports car races, kind of like Le Mans")

2. This forum is so bleeming full of threads about Le Mans that I can't find anything on British GT (bit of an exaggeration, perhaps)

Any chance of a split? The "Sportscar and GT Racing" Forum is, after all, the third most popular forum (after F1 and Aussie Rules).

Not sure exactly how the split would go - any thoughts?

Endurance vs GT Sprint?
Le Mans, ALMS & LMES vs Other National & International Sportscars & GTs?
Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1336281)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
In my opinion the current format is ok and there's no need for a split. In the weeks before Le Mans there are a lott of different topics about this event. The rest of the year the forum is much more readable.

To split the forum in a GT and sportscar section is not logical because LMES, ALMS and Le Mans have both types of cars.

I think to keep the forum readable it's important to give new topics a clear title. For example at the moment there's a topic about the lack of performance of the LMP2 cars. The topic title is only "Lmp2", maybe "Bad performance of LMP2 class" would be more clear title.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1336308)   #3
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
no need for split IMHO

Ciao Marco
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1336337)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No need for a split IMO either, for the moment. Maybe one day when the forum is so busy with FIA GT/ALMS/LMES posts etc that its over crowded it should be considered though, a sub section if you like. At the moment though the forum is great the way it is. IMO.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1336426)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keep it as is thanks. I spend most of my time in the Sportscar & GT Racing forum and can find all of the racing info and related topics right here. Quite convenient actually.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1336434)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias
2. This forum is so bleeming full of threads about Le Mans that I can't find anything on British GT (bit of an exaggeration, perhaps)
Well, it is June, and the race was last weekend, is it really surprising people would be descussing it here? I don't really see anyone in the IRL forum complaining about "Indy, Indy, Indy" in May. 10Tenths has always had a strong focus on Le Mans, that's nothing new. Might be a bit tedious at times but at least the forum is busy, active, healthy, alive. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1336991)   #7
Mathias
Veteran

England
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alright! Alright!
Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1337021)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
The thing with Sportscar and GT Racing is that there is such a crossover between series and individual events with the same drivers/cars/teams competing in many areas. For someone like myself, who is on the fringes of things, that can make it hard to follow. If this forum was split up as well I'd probably not even bother reading it.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1337026)   #9
Mathias
Veteran

England
OK! OK! Leave me alone!
Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1337030)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
So anyway will you be coming along to Le Mans next year?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1337054)   #11
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only way I'd see a split working is if we had national championships like Belcar, British GT, Italian GT and/or even Britcar in their own section. However, as has been said before, drivers and teams crossover between championships, so it's not likely to be very convenient.

I'm sure if more empthasis was put in to get members to think carefully about thread titles, then it would be a little bit easier.

But give it a couple of weeks and we'll see endless Spa-24 hours threads...
Old 22 Jun 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1337092)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Ooooh yes, Spa... Must get the map out for that...
Old 22 Jun 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1337149)   #13
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would suggest reducing the number of "hot topic" items though, there are some that aren't needed anymore now.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1337183)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What, you don't want to be continually reminded of the pole prediction?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Jun 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1337202)   #15
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
What, you don't want to be continually reminded of the pole prediction?
The truth would hurt you, I know.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 17:33 (Ref:1337452)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans or Brit GT. Hmmm. What should I talk about in mid-June.........?

Get real........

OK, its finished now - the stickys have gone and life goes on........
Old 22 Jun 2005, 18:55 (Ref:1337536)   #17
Mathias
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
So anyway will you be coming along to Le Mans next year?
I very nearly went this year! Anyone who has ever visited the-website-that-cannot-be-named will know that we generally have an aversion to any motor-racing that involves a roof, and so I've always ignored GT racing and treated it as a good time to go off and wander round the paddock at F3/GT meetings. Then I got totally drawn into last year's Le Mans (and thereby discovered that not all Le Mans cars have roofs, so that's OK then), and got quite interested in the GT race at the end of 2004 at Brands, and then, wouldn't you know it, our mate Andrew Thompson started doing some sportscar racing - quite successfully in my opinion, but I think he could do with some stability - and it looked at one time like he might be in with a chance of a Le Mans drive with Rollcentre, and we'd be driving back across france on le weekend du Mans, and, well..., I'm sorry, I'm rambling on here, and showing that I AM enthusiastic about Le Mans, cos everybody's been so mean to me about what I thought was quite a helpful suggestion.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1371968)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not mean Mathias, just realistic at that time of year.....