Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 24 Feb 2001, 23:06 (Ref:66533)   #1
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!

Here we go again...

1st of March - MGOC test day (but it's actually a track day). I shall be there with the Mini, and possibly also the MG Maestro 1600 will make a guest appearance.

Sorry about the short notice again, but a few of you already know about this, so it's just to remind people I guess. This one's an all-day thing. 9:00am to 5:00pm with a little lunch break in between..

Depending on how the Maestro thing works out (i.e. if we can get it there/book it in) the spare seat may be used as a passenger seat, so be warned

To that end, has anyone got any spare helmets that we could borrow if we can run with passengers? Any sort really..
Old 24 Feb 2001, 23:45 (Ref:66537)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there, Chap.

Are we gonna glue a perch in the Min?

Might be useful for... erm... set-up?
Old 27 Feb 2001, 00:14 (Ref:66920)   #3
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Looks like the spare 'perch' ( ) is going in the Maestro, so I'm afraid there won't be any passenger rides this time - but there'll be other times..

Anyone else coming then?

Incidentally, I just got my entry to the Mighty Minis championship, and my race number for this year will be 36! (This will only make sense if you know what Peter Mallett's Capri looks like )
Old 27 Feb 2001, 06:15 (Ref:66945)   #4
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry bloke, bit too short notice. Can't make it.
Old 27 Feb 2001, 20:35 (Ref:67047)   #5
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1st March is definitely out for me, Chris. Hope the day goes well and I'll see you on the 25th
Old 1 Mar 2001, 21:48 (Ref:67464)   #6
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Right then, since no-one from 10/10ths turned up and I had an 'interesting time', I'll write a brief 'race report' instead (not as long as the Brands one).. Here we go:

Arrived hideously early in the morning to be greeted by a wall of Mighty Minis. about 10 of them turned up, as well as the series organiser, which was a bit unexpected given that it was an MGOC test day.. Still, we got talking to a few of 'em and swapped setup tips, and all that. Made some new friends, and parked next to my Mini's teammate from last year (under new management)

After unpacking stuff, I had to change my tyres because I was expecting rain and sleet, and I had my wets on - today the sun was really shining. I really wasn't expecting that, although I was expecting the odd snow flurry even less. Just now and again, little flakes of snow drifted down during the day.. Wierd.

Got on track with the Maestro behind me shortly after, and was amazed at the amount of other drivers on track, it really was busy! All sorts of cars, and all styles of driving. There were MG Bs, Midgets, Sprites (Frogeyes), Ford Anglias, MG Maestros, Rover Tomcats, Minis by the bucketload, a V6 Vectra, a couple of MGFs, a Mitsubishi Lancer, plus a few others. The atmosphere in the paddock was really friendly, and everyone was quite chatty..

Out on the track, there was quite a difference in pace. There were a few road-going cars out, and loads of novices, so there were very slow cars, with very fast cars swarming all over them. MG Midgets would frequently get mobbed by a hoard of Minis all wanting to go through Gerards at once. You only had to hesitate for a few seconds, and loads of cars would pass you, and you'd get stuck behind a dead MGF

I was trying to keep pace with some of the other Minis, and was doing ok, but one lap I decided to try and outbrake an Anglia. I sidled up the inside of it coming into the Lake Esses, and was preparing to brake at my normal point. The Anglia braked a little earlier and started to turn in.. I had to stand on the anchors and turn in more to avoid hitting it, and this put one of my wheels on the grass.. From there on I was a bit of a passenger as I slid on the wet grass into a small grassed embankment. One wheel hopped up the bank, and I thought I had damaged my steering.

The session was red flagged (first one of the day), and I was dragged backwards out of the mud . As soon as I realised the Min wasn't damaged, I had a little joke with the marshalls, and drove the car back to the pits, with most of Mallory's mud on my tyres.

After a few comments from some of the other Mini drivers, I had a little look around to check for damage. The only thing damaged was a small corner of the plastic wheelarch (and my pride of course ) - the damp earth bank absorbed most of the momentum..

Anyway - that certainly wasn't the only stoppage, as a Midget, a Maestro, and a 'B' all fought with the trackside objects and lost. The final stoppage was brought about by a bloke in a camera-carrying MG fell unconscious somehow and coasted to a halt at the first corner. He recovered fairly quickly, but had to be taken to hospital in the circuit's only ambulance.. With that gone, the day could not continue, so it was called to a halt at around 4pm..

A good day was had by me. I just drove the car around learning about dodging traffic, and pushing the limits (a little too hard). Didn't really play with any settings, as I think I've got them more or less right (for now)

So there you have it. You all missed out on a fun day, but believe me, the race at Donny on the 25th of March is going to be really, really good.. See you there
Old 2 Mar 2001, 19:33 (Ref:67660)   #7
Sparky
Veteran

As Official Test Team No. 1 Mechanic, I can only apologise for my absence.

I'm glad that you're OK, that the car's OK, and that you got into the 1:05's!

Well done!

I GUARANTEE I will be at Donington on the 25th, whether there's racing or not!
Old 2 Mar 2001, 20:13 (Ref:67663)   #8
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
1:05s? I got into a 1:04! I believe the faster cars were only 1 second faster than me, so I'm happy..

I *really* hope all of this foot & mouth mess can be sorted out in time
Old 4 Mar 2001, 11:04 (Ref:68083)   #9
Lorna
Veteran

Oh Chris! Apologies! Don't worry - this is not an example of the 10 Tenths attendance record for the year. I know it's difficult but more notice on test days would help out as I particularly, have to check with the rest of the team (consisting of a total of 4 in our section of IT) and what projects are going on at the time before I can get the day off.

Glad you had a good day though. Just the 25th to look forward to. Don't forget to post a timetable as soon as you have it. I need to arrive as late as possible
Old 7 Mar 2001, 11:32 (Ref:69133)   #10
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like you had some fun Chris,
I was out in the Beastly Bread Van (the Clio V6) at Silvestone yesterday and believe me, it was a definite spectator opportunity. With a whole load of the F1 teams setting up in the paddock and 3 other V6's to compare times with it had all the makings of an awesome day...

I had never driven the car in serious anger and I promise, anyone who thought the Charity day was fun in the 172... wait until the end of this year...

To give a brief taster of just how ferocious this thing is, coming round Woodcote, (gently curving right hander onto start/finish straight) with the foot hard down, the BBV kept trying to throw me into the pit wall... because each time we got to about 6500rpm the power was just too much for the rear slicks and the back end was breaking traction and kicking left...

I definitely have a few more grey hairs today, I had a couple of spins, a trip deep into the beach at the Abbey hairpin and finished the day beautifully parallel parked against the barriers at Ireland, facing the wrong way and with hardly a scratch on the car.

I would like to thank the Michelin F1 tyre technicians who took time out from fitting wheels for Benetton to change the tyre on my V6 rim after I punctured it in spectacular fashion.

Cheers

Rick
Old 7 Mar 2001, 18:55 (Ref:69203)   #11
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RickP:Clio33
I had never driven the car in serious anger and I promise, anyone who thought the Charity day was fun in the 172... wait until the end of this year...

Dare I say it

Me me me pleeeeeese
Old 7 Mar 2001, 19:50 (Ref:69218)   #12
Sparky
Veteran

Quote:
I would like to thank the Michelin F1 tyre technicians who took time out from fitting wheels for Benetton to change the tyre on my V6 rim after I punctured it in spectacular fashion.
(1) How much faster than the Benetton were you?

and

(2) Can we assume you didn't give them all your speed secrets?

Quote:
Me too!!!

Last edited by Sparky; 7 Mar 2001 at 19:50.
Old 8 Mar 2001, 07:43 (Ref:69333)   #13
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets just say Sparky that I was trying to explain just how sideways you have to be to get a hot lap...

No unfortunately they had little understanding of what a Clio V6 was and were somewhat confused why I wanted a tyre as big as Jensons to go on a little hatchback... but it had the logo on the side so they were happy to do the honours for me which I thought was marvellous!

For some reason they weren't in a big hurry to give me a set of Ralfs development tyres that I had my eyes on, thought they might help me teach the Italians a thing or two at the first round. Foiled!

RickP
Old 8 Mar 2001, 20:16 (Ref:69448)   #14
Sparky
Veteran

Sideways?

Now I'm really looking forward to that Charideee Day!!

I have to say that I'm very surprised that Benetton RENAULT had not heard of the Clio V6 Championship. Seems a bit odd, don't it? Especially as there was probably a Regie engine technician or two there after Melbourne's poor 7-cylinder showing...

By the way, Rick. Just noticed that you're producing BBC's 'Top Gear' now, along with a few other shows...

...Or is that not the same Richard Pearson?
Old 9 Mar 2001, 07:36 (Ref:69563)   #15
Veteran

England
Zurich
It was Michelin, Benneton Renault were all fast asleep after their long drive from Whitney...

I have apparently been producing Top Gear for quite a while... although if it was actually me, I would only have features on Tiff driving things sideways. He was at his imperious best again last night I thought!

Yup, sideways in the Beastly Bread Van is possible, but only for the very brave...

RickP
Old 10 Mar 2001, 13:09 (Ref:69839)   #16
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've said it here before, and now I'll say it again.

Tiff only knows how to drive sideways, which bags of opposite lock, smoking tyres and general mayhem. He's not physically capable of driving in a simple straight line.

Of course, I never said that sideways wasn't the best way to be...
Old 10 Mar 2001, 14:24 (Ref:69853)   #17
Sparky
Veteran

Quote:
...Tiff driving things sideways. He was at his imperious best again last night I thought!
Yes, I have to agree - Tiffany was absolutely masterful in the XKRR. He was making this dirty great monster of a car dance... I was scoffing my dinner at the time, and stopped mid-chew! Couldn't believe it. Mega...

Have you tried that in the Porsche, Rick?

...Or is that how you trashed the 'box?
Old 11 Mar 2001, 01:33 (Ref:69966)   #18
Lorna
Veteran

Just one thing to say, Rick. Did you tell us you were at Silverstone? Did you? Eh?

Silverstone is literally up the road from me. 6th March could have been feasible.

Keep us up to date on your test days and see if the 10 Tenths Gang can try and make the effort to come over and say hi. Seeing as the V6 will be abroad for race days it would be extra special nice.
Old 12 Mar 2001, 07:59 (Ref:70355)   #19
Veteran

England
Zurich
The last planned outing for the V6 is Donny on Thurs 15th.
I have had the Porsche sideways which might explain the gearbox...
BUt it would be rude not to!
Rick
Old 14 Mar 2001, 22:04 (Ref:71206)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Have fun tomorrow, Rick, and tell us all how it went won't you!
Old 14 Mar 2001, 23:36 (Ref:71261)   #21
Lorna
Veteran

Sorry Rick. I'm on (another) training course tomorrow (yawn). Have fun.