Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Oct 2009, 15:27 (Ref:2552718)   #1
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bent (or not) cars, Wealth (or lack of) and Scrutineering (ex Goodwood thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
a BRDC member racing in the Fordwater who raced MGB's in period told me in the changing room that due to the size of something technical (I glazed over at this point) it is impossible to make a legal sized B with any poke... and never has been. Is that correct? Also somebody must tell Sideways to stop being such a miserable git...
That would depend on the amount of 'Poke' being looked for Simon,in standard form,ie,off the prodution line,they deliver about 85bhp at the flywheel,in todays 'legal' form thats more like 145/155 depending on who's building what and how much BS you ordered with the build. As for Slippery Diff,why change the habbit of a lifetime!
With my old engine,it was giving a conservative 144 Flywheel reading.That was with the late type 18V head on it [Jeremy,if you hadn't been so busy in Scrutineering and come and looked,you would have seen the oft requested reversion back to a period head.]But,as above,the reversion to a period head casting,Burgess Modified,has increased that to 152bhp.Yeah,I was amaized as well! Time for a longer look at cams methinks.

[He's OK really,just need's someone around to give orders to.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2552722)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well his inferrence was that they cheated in period so why get upset now!
Old 2 Oct 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2552728)   #3
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Wouldnt a piece of kit like this saved all that head pulling, I mean for a start its bloody agro to do at the track then there is the cost of the gaskets. http://www.precisionmeasure.com/test1.htm It says it may not work on all OHC engines as the valve action has to be stopped but I would have thought ideal for the Minis and yanks.
No, as they were not just interested in checking capacity. Valve sizes etc were also a focus as there is a lot that can be achieved there power wise.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2552808)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
well his inferrence was that they cheated in period so why get upset now!
One of the completely un-molested works cars still exisist's Simon,the engine needed a refresh,as the bores were in excellent order,it just had a set of new rings fitted,piston size was/is +40,exhaust valves were just a tad oversize.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2552832)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
No, as they were not just interested in checking capacity. Valve sizes etc were also a focus as there is a lot that can be achieved there power wise.
I quite agree, also, to the trained eye one can turn an engine over and tell whether geometry is std, or otherwise, also . . . . I'd wager a few minis run long rods and unbelievably short slipper type pistons

as does everyone else I think
Old 2 Oct 2009, 18:59 (Ref:2552840)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Have a deco up the plug hole then with that snap on camera thibg.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2552851)   #7
Henrik Pedersen
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Henrik Pedersen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was I the only one that noticed the blistering fast Stanguellini of Colasacco.

I don´t think that FIAT engined cars, where faster than the Ford engined FJ cars in the period, or am I wrong ??
Old 3 Oct 2009, 12:15 (Ref:2553194)   #8
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the car in the scrutineering shed after the race, being prepared for what looked like cylinder head removal. It would be interesting to know the outcome...
Old 3 Oct 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2553216)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Was it the same car that was stupidly fast at Monaco and Goodwood four years ago?
Old 3 Oct 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2553217)   #10
Henrik Pedersen
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Yep !!
Old 3 Oct 2009, 13:20 (Ref:2553227)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Oh!Well that answers that.
Old 3 Oct 2009, 14:54 (Ref:2553268)   #12
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Pedersen View Post
Was I the only one that noticed the blistering fast Stanguellini of Colasacco.

I don´t think that FIAT engined cars, where faster than the Ford engined FJ cars in the period, or am I wrong ??
You are opening a can of worms with any enquiry into that car. At Monaco in 2004, during qualifying, I was overtaken in the tunnel by Robin Longdon in his Lola 2 with Ford engine. In the middle of the tunnel that Fiat engined Stanguellini caught and overtook Robin, when the Lola was flat out!

The engine had arrived at the garages cling wrapped!

I would expect a decently built 7 port Fiat 103 engine to produce 85 - 90 (at a pinch). A Bandini 8 port 103 engine (legal on Volpinis and Bandinis as there were used by these manufacturers in period) can manage 95 - 100. A Ford 1100 cc should get at least 110, and that's not a Richardson.

In addition the Lola will be approximately 25 kg lighter than a standard Stanguellini.

In speed trap 2 at Goodwood I understand that the Stanguellini was clocked at 139 mph, the Volpini 102 mph!!!!!!!!! Pip,Pip
Old 3 Oct 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2553296)   #13
Henrik Pedersen
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Yes, I can see that, and I am fine with that.

But why are "we" so afraid of touching the subject of these illegal cars, that we all know is around, and we know who they are, because it is so clear and obvious.

Beside, this might be more relevant in another thread, I don´t know?
But I feel it is degrading the Goodwood Revival a little, because its a great meeting.
There can be close racing with clean App.K. car too.
Old 3 Oct 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2553321)   #14
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
You are opening a can of worms with any enquiry into that car. At Monaco in 2004, during qualifying, I was overtaken in the tunnel by Robin Longdon in his Lola 2 with Ford engine. In the middle of the tunnel that Fiat engined Stanguellini caught and overtook Robin, when the Lola was flat out!

The engine had arrived at the garages cling wrapped!

I would expect a decently built 7 port Fiat 103 engine to produce 85 - 90 (at a pinch). A Bandini 8 port 103 engine (legal on Volpinis and Bandinis as there were used by these manufacturers in period) can manage 95 - 100. A Ford 1100 cc should get at least 110, and that's not a Richardson.

In addition the Lola will be approximately 25 kg lighter than a standard Stanguellini.

In speed trap 2 at Goodwood I understand that the Stanguellini was clocked at 139 mph, the Volpini 102 mph!!!!!!!!! Pip,Pip
yet the same car was invited for the 2006 event.....
Old 3 Oct 2009, 18:44 (Ref:2553399)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Are Richardson engines not frowned upon by the, shall we say, more 'period' owners/preparers ? I've not had one to inspect but I don't think his head castings are the same as the Ford/Cosworth ones . . .apart from the bolt holes!
Old 4 Oct 2009, 08:26 (Ref:2553664)   #16
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I watched the FJ cars in the collecting area as they were going out. Most of the engines seem to be a nightmare to keep running at low revs and everyone was having to rev them to keep them going. Yet a certain car seemed to be sitting there at tick-over quite happily. There were a few knowing glances from the FJ boys - some trick engine management employed was the rumour around the paddock......

Last edited by rogerwills; 4 Oct 2009 at 08:26. Reason: typo
Old 4 Oct 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2553693)   #17
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
yet the same car was invited for the 2006 event.....
Actually it was the same driver but not the same car. In 2006 it was a rear engined Stanguellini and this time he was rejected at scrutineering. As I heard it he was offered the race but from the back of the grid. He declined and went home in a huff! Great to see good sportsmanship is alive and well.
Old 4 Oct 2009, 09:30 (Ref:2553698)   #18
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Actually it was the same driver but not the same car. In 2006 it was a rear engined Stanguellini and this time he was rejected at scrutineering. As I heard it he was offered the race but from the back of the grid. He declined and went home in a huff! Great to see good sportsmanship is alive and well.
I realised I was wrong with the year, when I had written it down, but in 2008 the front engined car was back (and did not win). The Delfino story is pretty well known...but afaik he did make it to the first qualis, was very fast, and then others raised a protest...and then he packed up
Old 4 Oct 2009, 17:24 (Ref:2553970)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
am I missing the point of historics? Why bother having a car that fails srutineering due to eligibility - would it not make any victory (if undetected) hollow? I must admit I am speaking as someone who is winding down the races I enter to a few meetings I enjoy but it seems that some are clearly taking this far too seriously - it is only a hobby after all!!
All rather pointless given we are only competing for a plastic cup and a mention in the club section of Autosport!!
Old 4 Oct 2009, 17:43 (Ref:2553986)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I think theres probably more kudos (and worthless press) in being publicised as going home in a huff than there is in actually being awarded a 10 bob **** pot

especialy when said Huff-ster has been coughing £1000+ towards someone elses pension fund for said 50p pot

This has nothing to do with Goodwood, more a generalisation from observations of the apparent daftness of an increasing amount of hideously gullible individuals. They are their own Masters I suppose, and will squander accordingly.

spread the wealth I say!
Old 5 Oct 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2554512)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
am I missing the point of historics? Why bother having a car that fails srutineering due to eligibility - would it not make any victory (if undetected) hollow? I must admit I am speaking as someone who is winding down the races I enter to a few meetings I enjoy but it seems that some are clearly taking this far too seriously - it is only a hobby after all!!
All rather pointless given we are only competing for a plastic cup and a mention in the club section of Autosport!!
Yes it seems that way, I am afraid we have had a bit of this as some people just cannot seem to get it into their heads that if they are using a component that is free but just too trick that they have to alter something else on the car to make it work properly and that alteration is illegal then its Ok, in my book it aint and I dont care who reads this comment and doesn't like it, you know who I am as I write in my own name.
Old 5 Oct 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2554561)   #22
Henrik Pedersen
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Simon and Al, I totally agree with you.

And for the one that don´t, let me quote App.K. 1.1:
Historic competition is not simply another formula in which youto acquire trophies, it is a discipline apart, in which one of the essential ingredients is a devotion to their cars and history.

Look at my thread: FIA historic series ???
Old 5 Oct 2009, 14:34 (Ref:2554577)   #23
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Good point Henrik. Does the 'over preparation' mean that there will be FEWER legal cars in the future? Maybe even mean some cars couldn't be returned to legal?
I reckon this could be more damaging to historics than the scrappage scheme.
Old 5 Oct 2009, 14:39 (Ref:2554579)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

well as an antidote to that I am preparing an FIA JAguar Mk2 and it will be as period as we can make it within the confines of modern safety...
Old 5 Oct 2009, 15:01 (Ref:2554593)   #25
Henrik Pedersen
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
I think any "illegal" car can be returned to legal, its just a matter of the owners willingness, and his pocket.

I really don´t think that there will be fewer cars. I think some of those who have kept away because of illegal cars, will return.