Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Oct 2016, 18:28 (Ref:3677306)   #1
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
2016 IMSA Year in Review

I hope this is a thread that will discuss the season of 2016 while trying to avoid any talk about 2017.

How about we hand out some "awards"
Old 4 Oct 2016, 18:30 (Ref:3677307)   #2
MaskedRacer
Veteran

best driver:
P: Dane Cameron
GTLM: Tommy Milner
GTD: Andy Lally

best race:
P: Sebring
GTLM: Road America
GTD: Lime Rock

best car:
P: Ligier
GTLM: Ford
GTD: Audi

dumbest move:
P: Mazda poor pit stop execution, driving, and race strategy at Laguna Seca and Road America where they were the fastest car by far
GTLM: Bamber hits BMW at Lime Rock
GTD: MacNeils withdraw from series over BoP

best commentator:
Jeremy Shaw (runners up: John Hindbaugh, Calvin Fish)

best website (imsa coverage only):
Sportscar365 (runner up: Racer)

best podcast (imsa coverage only):
Sportscar365 (runner up: SCUnleashed)

biggest underachiever: R.L.L. BMW

TV/Internet coverage negative: No consistency between race times and FOX channels, Still lack of paid subscription service

TV/Internet coverage positive: Race replay on youtube 24 hours after ending. Starting at Lime Rock IMSA radio based feed was used. Big kudos to IMSA here! IMSA.com web site interface got better this year.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 18:47 (Ref:3677311)   #3
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I will add moment of the year - which goes to John Pew for pushing around the sponsor sign at Cota!

Cameron was definitely a great driver, hope he can maintain that pace with the new formula next year. Runner up in driver: Nunez was super quick this year, but he did make a couple of divebomb attempts that didn't work.

surprise of the year: how much i enjoyed gtd with the gt3 cars. Great looking and great racing.

Honorable mention to Continental tires, you can decide for what....either supporting the series, or providing tires with room for improvement.....

Best NAEC team/driver: ESM with Pipo were heads and tails above the rest. They got two 1st places, one second, and didn't win the championship? something isn't right with how the series administers mid-race points.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 19:17 (Ref:3677319)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
best driver:
P: Pipo Derani
GTLM: Tommy Milner
GTD: Jeroen Bleekemolen

best race:
P: Sebring
GTLM: Road America
GTD: Lime Rock

best car:
P: Ligier
GTLM: Corvette
GTD: Viper (Don't care - I love it)

dumbest move:
P: Mazda. For most things.
GTLM: Porsche BMW accident at Lime Rock.
GTD: N/A

best commentator:
Jeremy Shaw. Mention to John Hindbaugh too.

best website (imsa coverage only):
Daily Sports Car

best podcast (imsa coverage only):
Midweek Motorsport

biggest underachiever: Mazda. Loads of speed. No results.

TV/Internet coverage negative: App restricting access without registering.

TV/Internet coverage positive: "IMSA Radio", or as we all know it - Radio Le Mans. The coverage for the UK at least, was absolutely perfect every race. No breaks, no silly features, no irritating presenters. Just pure sportscar racing with the best commentators. Literally, perfect.

Radio Le Mans made the whole season for me frankly. The American coverage is horrendous. RLM make it not only accessible, but familiar and enjoyable.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 19:26 (Ref:3677322)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fox corporation and their horrible coverage of everything win the award for worst everything. How long is their contract good for?

I can't really vote for awards as it will all be guess work at this point. I can give the "best weather ever at a race I attended" award to PLM.

In the end, this whole season felt like a really good segue and build up, but 2016 is the topic.

How about biggest couch burned award?
Old 5 Oct 2016, 01:50 (Ref:3677381)   #6
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jens Klingman wins the GTD version of "Dumbest move" for his masterful overtaking of a team mate at Petit.

Fox win the "Best attempt to drive fans away" award for ... just about everything it did all year.

I particularly appreciate how I cannot set up my DVD to record races because they switch unannounced to other channels ("Sorry, high school checkers is running long so we will totally rearrange our coverage and all your careful pre-planned programming means nothing!") Switching from TV to online (not always geo-blocked ... just sometimes) is also helpful.

The YouTube post sort of makes up for it.

If it weren't for Timing and Scoring, I'd never watch anything but the YouTube broadcast---no BS plus RLM.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 12:50 (Ref:3679548)   #7
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Car of the year - Corvette DP.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 17:59 (Ref:3679593)   #8
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best drivers:

P: Dane Cameron
PC: Van der Zande
GTLM: Milner
GTD: Lally

Best car:

P: Corvette DP
PC: Oreca
GTLM: Corvette
GTD: Audi
Old 17 Oct 2016, 02:13 (Ref:3680800)   #9
MaskedRacer
Veteran

What are some good youtube race replays you will be watching from 2016? For me it will be the races from Lime Rock on for sure because those are the IMSA radio feed races and not the Fox version. I'm sure you can watch a few times over with no sound and have it as a background TV too.

Also Blanpain GT makes for great TV too.
Old 17 Oct 2016, 05:16 (Ref:3680824)   #10
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Car of the Past - Corvette DP.
Fixed it for you.
Old 17 Oct 2016, 13:11 (Ref:3680901)   #11
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Fixed it for you.
No.

It won the most races and the championship.

Don't bring up this kinda **** in here.
Old 19 Oct 2016, 18:00 (Ref:3681444)   #12
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car of the year was the Ford GT. People were mocking it after Daytona for all the hype that surrounded it then it did just fine the rest of the year. That's a tall order for a brand new program.

Magnus would be my team of the year had they not have had certain problems spoiled how they should have finished.

Race of the year was Petit for me. It was awesome to see Shank come through in the last race for Pew and them as a prototype team for the foreseeable future.