Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 8 Feb 2001, 20:34 (Ref:63466)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go to the McGill University website and check under "summer accommodations." We got rooms for $40 a night and they are 15 minutes walk from the subway! They're right on the mountainside and there are all kinds of amenities including cafeteria and pools, tennis courts, etc.
Old 10 Feb 2001, 03:25 (Ref:63829)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I did apply to McGill Univeristy, (Although I will probably go to Waterloo or Carleton), but I am staying at the Montreal Youth Hostel. It's downtown, only two blocks from St. Catherines, and about $60/night.

Anything is better than the YMCA I stayed at last year. Apparently the building has since been closed for a brand new Y.
Old 10 Feb 2001, 05:12 (Ref:63839)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My boss went to McGill. He was the one who told me about it. You'd get a student discount on a room there (they rent them out all summer if you happen to be up there.) We're staying over Sunday night and going home on the train Monday afternoon.
Old 18 Feb 2001, 19:04 (Ref:65412)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be in a B&B on Sherbrooke across from Parc LaFontaine.
Its about a ten minue walk to the Metro, two stops on the train, 1/2 hour to the Circuit.

Are you two interested in dinner together one night, maybe Saturday?
Old 20 Feb 2001, 01:54 (Ref:65661)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Absolutement, mon frere! I'll be bringing my cousin Linda, who has never outgrown her worship of Keke Rosberg but is otherwise a very nice person - and Jay if you could come to dinner as well, that would be great! Eero, I think you are quite near where we are, we're at University and Sherbrooke. We have grandstand seats in Section 16.
Old 20 Feb 2001, 17:40 (Ref:65715)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As Keke is a Finn, I have to say your cousin's taste is impeccable.

I'll be with my wife, who after a day at the track will either be thrilled to have seen F1 cars up close finally, or ready to kill me for subjecting her to torture. Jay, sing out if you'd be interested in joining us.
Old 21 Feb 2001, 23:50 (Ref:66002)   #7
Liz
Veteran

I PMd Jay and he says he'd love to meet up with us - he's coming up with a friend as well - and as soon as we know where and when, to let him know.

Do you have any idea where and when? I'm not that familiar with Montreal.
Old 22 Feb 2001, 02:59 (Ref:66016)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
My Dad and I ate in a Belgian Restaurant in the Old City last year that was wonderful and not terribly expensive. I'll take care of resies if you like. I think we should try to hook up at the track as well. We can email as the date aproaches.

Oh, and how's yer Francais? Mine's excreble. Or do we count on Jamie fer the "Parley-voo?"
Old 22 Feb 2001, 03:39 (Ref:66020)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
ughhh...parlez vous quoi? Sorry guys, my french is almost non-existent. My Spanish is much better.

It shouldn't be a problem in downtown Montreal, where almost everyone who as a job that involves dealing with the publis is fluently billingual.

I have to admit that last time we ate at the fast food places at Peel & St. Catherine. The most expensive restaurants are around the Rue.

Liz, if you aren't very familiar with Montreal go to this website for a metro map: http://www.stcum.qc.ca/English/metro/a-mapmet.htm

Click on the station closest to where you are staying (or are going), then scroll to the bottom of info page, and there will be a link to a very detailed map of the are. Note, the maps are fairly large (ie 400-500k).
Old 22 Feb 2001, 15:52 (Ref:66107)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Thanks Jay - that map will be helpful (I'll look it up at work, where we have a high speed connection. )

Eero, that restaurant sounds fine with me. My French is pretty good although I am sure my accent would make the cat laugh. How up do we dress?

Definitely lets meet up at the track! I will be wearing my 10-Tenths cap and a wonderful new shirt I got that says "Je me souviens la fiebre Villeneuve" [I remember Villeneuve Fever.] and probably carrying a Brazilian flag..... You should have no trouble spotting me. [And hiding behind the armco ... ]
Old 22 Feb 2001, 18:21 (Ref:66125)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
For Dress, Casually elegant should be fine.

At the track my wife will be in her "Mika Hakkinen" shirt, I'll be wearing my 10/Tenths cap if it ever arrives and whateverTee strikes my mood.
Old 23 Feb 2001, 01:03 (Ref:66180)   #12
Liz
Veteran

If Jay has a 10-Tenths cap we should all be easy to spot. If you don't have one, Jay, why not?
Old 24 Feb 2001, 05:49 (Ref:66393)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I'm sorry guys, I admit that I have not ordered a hat. Right now, in my current situation I still have to justify all of my expenses, or pay for it with my own money. Given that I have not worked since August, I am not exactly high on cash. So, $55 for a baseball cap for a website my mother has never heard of is quite a lot.

In the meantime, I have a Lucky Strike cap (which was only $30) that I like quite a bit. Unfortunately they are very very common in Montreal, but I know what you both look like, and hope you have some memory of what I look like...
Old 24 Feb 2001, 13:11 (Ref:66443)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Of course I remember what you look like Jay. This time I am going to take pictures though, so be warned!