Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Oct 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2973156)   #151
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The age of the cars has been a factor in Indycars - cars are long past their sell buy date, many have been involved in heavy accidents over the years and repaired etc. etc. Thankfully they are getting a new much safer car for 2012.

On the Wheldon incident - one of the threads on the Indycar section of this site says the following (posted on 7th Sept this year):

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick
It would be absolutely awesome if the #98 Herta/Curb/Agajanian/Schmidt car which already won this year's Indy 500 as a one-off team entry (this IS historical when looking at the last 30 years) would get a shot at winning this race with Dan Wheldon driving.

If you recall, Sam Schmidt (in partnership with Herta's team due to SSM's wreckage issues at Indy with Bell's incident, ran a driver in the #98 car at texas and it got wrecked there. Wheldon was in the booth on the Versus broadcast team and was rather upset about it.

That car was going to get restored and repaired, but I doubt it will ever turn another wheel, especially since it won the centenniall celebration of the Indy 500.
Does anyone know if Wheldon was driving this chasis last Sunday?
Old 18 Oct 2011, 09:37 (Ref:2973187)   #152
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be interested to see what solution is proposed but part of the enjoyment for me is the open cockpit, open wheeled racing F1 produces. If they can find a way of producing an F1 car with an enclosed cockpit, but still keep the fundamental design of the car similar, I think its worth having.

What I don't want to see is coupe cars where drivers bump into each other in little bubbles and we lose the open wheel form that we have had almost since the sport began.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 15:29 (Ref:2973315)   #153
Wild Dog
Rookie

Denmark
Denmark
Wild Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I would be interested to see what solution is proposed but part of the enjoyment for me is the open cockpit, open wheeled racing F1 produces. If they can find a way of producing an F1 car with an enclosed cockpit, but still keep the fundamental design of the car similar, I think its worth having.

What I don't want to see is coupe cars where drivers bump into each other in little bubbles and we lose the open wheel form that we have had almost since the sport began.
Totally agreed. It would be sad to lose the open wheel racing. So if they could implement the shield without changing too much on the current design.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 17:27 (Ref:2973385)   #154
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Looking at a modern F1 car, you can hardly see the drivers helmet anyway - they are almost enclosed already.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 18:30 (Ref:2973431)   #155
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Looking at a modern F1 car, you can hardly see the drivers helmet anyway - they are almost enclosed already.
True, but adding a canopy would possibly involve redesigning the entire car to suit. The canopy would need to be up to an inch thick if we judge this by the F-16 design and that would bring considerable weight. Not to mention the centre of gravity for the car would change, along with the airbox needing to be relocated etc. It would bring about alot of problems aswell as solving a few IMO.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2973438)   #156
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but with a closed cockpit, would we also then see A/C in F1 for the first time?

Richard
Old 18 Oct 2011, 18:59 (Ref:2973447)   #157
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Surely they would use aircraft type 'quick clear' glazing?

But they might still need a windscreen wiper......

Isn't all of this just going to make it more difficult for the driver to know what's going on around him/her?
Old 18 Oct 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2973545)   #158
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The canopy would need to be up to an inch thick
How the hell did you work that out? Use the right materials and construction and it shouldn't be necessary to be more than 5-6mm tops. Car windscreens are only around 3-4mm thick, and have a much larger frontal area than would be necessary on an F1 car...and F1 screens would be stronger in frontal impacts due to the wraparound shape...

All that aside, I'm against canopies for F1 cars...
Old 19 Oct 2011, 01:01 (Ref:2973615)   #159
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble View Post
How the hell did you work that out? Use the right materials and construction and it shouldn't be necessary to be more than 5-6mm tops. Car windscreens are only around 3-4mm thick, and have a much larger frontal area than would be necessary on an F1 car...and F1 screens would be stronger in frontal impacts due to the wraparound shape...

... and on open wheel cars in general. Part of a race car designer's remit is to find that compromise between an open cockpit and the rest of car's aerodynamics.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 01:04 (Ref:2973616)   #160
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

The FIA did tests recently using jet fighter canopy (links probably somewhere in this thread). So I believe he was basing his assumption upon the thickness of a F16 canopy which are a bit over 1" thick.

I also don't think the thickness of car windshields factor into this at all. They are to prevent wind and weather from getting into a vehicle and are not safety devices. It takes relatively little effort to penetrate one. Anyhow thickness is pure speculation unless someone here has experience in designing this type of thing. And I suspect that most of the experience in this area probably would be military or industrial in nature.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 19 Oct 2011 at 01:09.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 07:13 (Ref:2973692)   #161
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:

It was just an estimated guess off the back of the fact that F-16 canopies had been tested. They are 25-30mm thick which makes you wonder why such large examples were tested if they are not representitive of what is proposed for F1. I understand F1 cars don't go anywhere near as fast however. I am a desgn engineer myself and use a wide range of plastics in various applications, but plastic windscreens are not something I have a vast knowledge of. The most impact resistant plastic I have used is polycarbonate which is used for police riot shields but it also scratches fairly easily. I have no idea what plastics the military use.

Last edited by henners88; 19 Oct 2011 at 07:18.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 08:09 (Ref:2973721)   #162
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
The FIA did tests recently using jet fighter canopy (links probably somewhere in this thread). So I believe he was basing his assumption upon the thickness of a F16 canopy which are a bit over 1" thick.

I also don't think the thickness of car windshields factor into this at all. They are to prevent wind and weather from getting into a vehicle and are not safety devices. It takes relatively little effort to penetrate one. Anyhow thickness is pure speculation unless someone here has experience in designing this type of thing. And I suspect that most of the experience in this area probably would be military or industrial in nature.

Richard
This is wrong, they are certainly safety devices in Armour Plate and laminated safety glass form, I have seen a windshield that has prevented a .38 shell penetrating it and another that prevented a brick from penetrating it at a little over 120kph. Neither of which I would like to try with one of my helmets.

The F15 is meant to resist penetration of objcts at up to Mach 2!
Old 19 Oct 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2973772)   #163
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
This is wrong, they are certainly safety devices in Armour Plate and laminated safety glass form, I have seen a windshield that has prevented a .38 shell penetrating it and another that prevented a brick from penetrating it at a little over 120kph. Neither of which I would like to try with one of my helmets.

For goodness sake, that's twice in a week I find myself agreeing with wnut.

Even basic car windscreen are safety devices (amongst other things), otherwise they wouldn't be expensive laminated objects. Why else do you need to carry around a hardended pointed hammer to break them if you fall in to a river (Well, I do - lots of long roads next to rivers where I live)

And yes, an F16 screen can withstand impacts at mach 2 - so not really comparable to f1's rather palty 200mph.

And to be honest, they don't need to withstand penetration as such, just need to deflect enough energy go give better protection that a visor alone.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 11:21 (Ref:2973777)   #164
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Quote:
And yes, an F16 screen can withstand impacts at mach 2 - so not really comparable to f1's rather palty 200mph.
I did acknowledge that aspect in my previous post I think I should add.
Quote:
They are 25-30mm thick which makes you wonder why such large examples were tested if they are not representitive of what is proposed for F1. I understand F1 cars don't go anywhere near as fast however.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 13:59 (Ref:2973859)   #165
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
For goodness sake, that's twice in a week I find myself agreeing with wnut.

Even basic car windscreen are safety devices (amongst other things), otherwise they wouldn't be expensive laminated objects. Why else do you need to carry around a hardended pointed hammer to break them if you fall in to a river (Well, I do - lots of long roads next to rivers where I live)

And to be honest, they don't need to withstand penetration as such, just need to deflect enough energy go give better protection that a visor alone.
Again, the primary function of glass in automobiles (windshields, side windows, etc.) is for convenience purposes. Yes windshields/windscreens do provide some safety. They are good at deflecting small stones, etc. However their primary function is not as a safety device. Air bags, crushable structures, crush resistant structures, harnesses/belts, helmets, fire resistant material, ABS brakes, etc. are all examples of safety devices. If anyone knows of specific regulations regarding prevention of intrusion into the passenger area of an automobile via glass covered areas, I would love to hear about them. They may exist, but I don’t know of any.

Regarding laminated “Safety” and tempered glass that is used in modern automobiles, the special features of these types of glass is not to protect you from other things. It is used to “protect you from the glass itself when it breaks”. Laminated windshields are to prevent damage to you from injury from either you impacting the windshield or having large sections of windshield glass impacting you. The lamination holds the large pieces together. Tempered side windows are not laminated, but due to internal stress are designed to break into very small pieces to again prevent injury to you from flying glass.

Regarding the thickness of a fighter jet canopy, clearly the FIA thought that there was some merit to using one as part of their recent tests. It may well have been that this was the easiest to obtain example of a small protective cockpit covering that used a clear material. I have no idea what the requirements are for a jet fighter canopy. I suspect that the primary concern is bird strikes. So I did the math for kinetic energy of a worst case scenario for an F1 car and then compared that to a bird strike on an airplane canopy. What speed would a goose have to be traveling to equal the kinetic energy of an F1 car at speed impacting a solid object such as a barrier?

Maybe I am doing my math wrong. Someone point my errors out.

Using Energy = (1/2) * Mass * Velocity squared

F1 weight = 640 kg
F1 speed = 180 MPH = 80.5 m/s
.5 * 640 * 80.5^2 = 2,073,690 J

Reverse the equation to determine velocity needed for the Goose to get equivalent energy

Velocity = Square root of ( 2 * Energy / Mass)

Goose weight = 35 lbs = 15.9 kg
Energy = 2,073,690 J

That results in a velocity for the Goose of 510.7 m/s or 1140 mph or about 1.48 Mach at sea level. Even that speed surprised me.

So, yes that is an extreme example with respect to the F1 car impact. The deceleration forces would probably kill the driver regardless of protection from cockpit intrusion. I also suspect that the one inch thick jet canopies are in fact not designed to handle such a large bird at those speeds.

But my point is that everyone should not be so quick to say “Oh, it will never be that thick”. The forces they might need to protect against on an F1 car may be larger than you think and the resulting canopy surprisingly thicker than most people’s “gut” estimates.

Clearly it all depends upon what they (FIA) might try to protect against. The scenario above may be overly extreme and overly simplified (or not). But protection against suspension assemblies, wheels and smaller debris might be something that can be reasonably protected against.

And this is all a minor hypothetical point and I apologize for being pedantic and overly verbose. For those that don’t agree with me, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Richard
Old 19 Oct 2011, 14:04 (Ref:2973862)   #166
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:

Absolutely you can use laminated glass to prevent intrusion. And that is exactly what would be used. However my point (and the entire conversation) above was about laminated "safety" glass that is used in ordinary automobiles and not armor plating, etc.

Richard

Edit... Argh!! I hate it when I post and it rolls over to another page. Nobody will see my other reply at the tail end of the previous page!
Old 19 Oct 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2973866)   #167
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Going back to the OPs video evidence, we can perhaps see where the FIA are heading with this. Vid at bottom of article.

http://thef1times.com/news/display/03960
Old 19 Oct 2011, 17:37 (Ref:2973937)   #168
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
However my point (and the entire conversation) above was about laminated "safety" glass that is used in ordinary automobiles and not armor plating, etc.
Not true...go back to my post...(#158)

I said made in the right materials and construction it would need to be no thicker than 5-6mm...given that conventional vehicle screens are only around 3-4mm
Old 19 Oct 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2973991)   #169
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Not true...go back to my post...(#158)

I said made in the right materials and construction it would need to be no thicker than 5-6mm...given that conventional vehicle screens are only around 3-4mm
Right back at you. Your comments are based upon conventional auto tech. Otherwise I think we pretty much agree. It will be as thick as it needs to be and will most likely be laminated.

Richard
Old 19 Oct 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2974001)   #170
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Quote:
Right back at you. Your comments are based upon conventional auto tech.
My comments are based on my knowledge of some of the products used for aerospace applications - Lexan is generally used for fighter canopies, space helmets, visors etc, and would probably be the best fit for this application.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 21:10 (Ref:2974010)   #171
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
My comments are based on my knowledge of some of the products used for aerospace applications - Lexan is generally used for fighter canopies, space helmets, visors etc, and would probably be the best fit for this application.
I am not trying to argue. But I stand by my statement that your original post clearly used common automotive technology as a baseline for comparison purposes. I am sorry if you feel I am misquoting your or attributing the wrong impression. You may not agree, but based upon what you are saying now, I think your first post just didn't clearly communicate your actual thoughts? So you can't fault me for commenting upon what you said (auto) vs. what you are thinking or saying now (aero).

If you are thinking aerospace, then we are in agreement.

Richard
Old 19 Oct 2011, 21:14 (Ref:2974012)   #172
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Absolutely you can use laminated glass to prevent intrusion. And that is exactly what would be used. However my point (and the entire conversation) above was about laminated "safety" glass that is used in ordinary automobiles and not armor plating, etc.

Richard

Edit... Argh!! I hate it when I post and it rolls over to another page. Nobody will see my other reply at the tail end of the previous page!
Armour plate glass is a brand name in this instance and is in fact standard tempered and laminated automotive safety glass.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 23:24 (Ref:2974067)   #173
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course if the roll hop structure shears off like it did for Dan then a canopy without a base or oneside exposed isn't going to help in the sme or similar situation
Old 20 Oct 2011, 02:49 (Ref:2974091)   #174
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
Of course if the roll hop structure shears off like it did for Dan then a canopy without a base or oneside exposed isn't going to help in the sme or similar situation
The biggest problem with F1 roll hoops is that they present a 90 degree obstacle to the ground (when upside down) in the direction of travel.
When a car comes down from a height at speed; which Weldon's did; the hoop is liable to dig in and brush off, as happened to Weldon.
A canopy would allow a better design of structure beneath it, and would possibly prevent this dig in effect even if it was destroyed in the process.

Still some accidents will just be too extreme to survive, this may have been one of those, but the concept needs looking at.
Old 20 Oct 2011, 02:59 (Ref:2974092)   #175
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The biggest problem with F1 roll hoops is that they present a 90 degree obstacle to the ground (when upside down) in the direction of travel.
When a car comes down from a height at speed; which Weldon's did; the hoop is liable to dig in and brush off, as happened to Weldon.
A canopy would allow a better design of structure beneath it, and would possibly prevent this dig in effect even if it was destroyed in the process.

Still some accidents will just be too extreme to survive, this may have been one of those, but the concept needs looking at.
Is that what caused Wheldon's roll hoop to fail, digging into the ground? I thought it hit one of the catchfencing supports?