Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Feb 2002, 08:00 (Ref:219348)   #1
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'02 Astc??

Anyone heard anything more about the ASTC? Toca gave it up, but PowerTour mentioned they were trying to organize a class for ST cars? Heard anything more about that proposal?
Old 20 Feb 2002, 10:46 (Ref:219365)   #2
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dates for the series have been announced but, beyond that, haven't heard anything. I was promised some information 2 weeks ago but still waiting.

When I hear, will post for you.
Old 20 Feb 2002, 12:34 (Ref:219419)   #3
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they were in the power tour last yr pretty boring cos of lack of cars

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 20 Feb 2002, 13:18 (Ref:219432)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last year their deal with the PT was cobbled together at the last moment, but really, all things be considered, they fronted with some decent fields. At the moment there are an awful lot of driver-less cars... heck, I even notice David Auger's beloved Alfa is for sale. Any news of any new Future Tourers coming through?
Old 21 Feb 2002, 11:18 (Ref:219985)   #5
gmontrack
Rookie

gmontrack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ST owners have formed an association S.T. Aust.
They are currently trying to get some new drivers into some of the spare cars that are setting around in workshops collecting dust. Check out the ads in the latest M.News.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 03:10 (Ref:220456)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, there are positons vacant in many teams for this years PowerTour Touring car class. You don't need a team,all is needed is a budget and you can go racing. It says it caters for all budgets. So thats good. Hopefully Super Production might kick off in Australia, that would be good.
ut this years series could be quite exciting, some of the races last year were quite excellent, Winton was a pearla, Hillsy and Searle going at it. Also the powertou has some alright coverage. Speedweek on SBS, Speedweek on FOxtel and the POwerTour on Channel 10. So there is good reason for sponsors to invest in the POwerTour.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 03:29 (Ref:220466)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Super Production.... ahh, how different is this form that Procar is already doing?
Old 23 Feb 2002, 06:33 (Ref:221108)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From 2003 ST cars won't be allowed i heard, SP will be the focus, and they will run seperate from FT apparently & All the drivers are in agreement.
Old 23 Feb 2002, 08:15 (Ref:221130)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are also plenty of very affordable Super Touring drives available for this years PowerTour championship. Very good deals for excellent cars.
Old 23 Feb 2002, 08:44 (Ref:221139)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

I hope the ST cars make some appearances at races in this year's Powertour.
Old 23 Feb 2002, 10:45 (Ref:221158)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
The problem is, you pay penuts you get monkeys.

STs always have, and forever will be very maintenance (and therefore dollar) intensive. What may appear a bargain will soon bite you with a blown engine or similar.
Old 24 Feb 2002, 04:50 (Ref:221557)   #12
gmontrack
Rookie

All motorsport is expensive, it's just that some are more expensive than others. Have you priced a rebuild for a LP or a Stone Bro's V8 engine lately. You would have to take out a 2nd loan on the family home to pay for it. Sure ST costs alot, but you don't buy a Ferrari if you can not afford to put petrol in the tank, do you? You have to remember that the ST cars were built with million dollar budgets, but they, like all "factory Built" cars, sooner or later end-up getting past down to the people who don't have a tenth of the budget that was spent on them when they first hit the track. If they can still give the public good close racing (that goes for any category) to watch, then whats wrong with that. Age does not come into it,in my book, some of the best racing seen at the AGP, or any state meeting for that matter, has been from the appendix J (group Nc)
Old 25 Feb 2002, 00:49 (Ref:222087)   #13
kmchow
Veteran

gmontrack wrote:

Quote:
If they can still give the public good close racing (that goes for any category) to watch, then whats wrong with that. Age does not come into it,in my book,
FINALLY, someone shares my opinion that age shouldn't matter. OTOH,I guess most listmembers and the general public, doesn't want to see some car barely able to make it to the starting grid, let alone race around the track. I guess the Malcolm Rea Toyota Carinas seem to get the brunt of the jokes/disses.
Old 25 Feb 2002, 01:17 (Ref:222096)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Oh shoot, that is so true, don't get me wrong. The problem was that TOCA held on one year too many, only had small grids, and only one competitive car. Watching Morris toy with Henderson was hardly entertaining. Now with Morris out of the picture, you have a few closely matched cars that can turn it on (Winton last year was a cracker, can't seem to recall Calder).

gmontrack- I agree in part to what you said early, but the thing is that you have to keep putting money into them to keep them going as they are fragile little beasts. Sure, many of the cars may be 5+ years old, and relatively inexpensive to buy, but saying that they are the 'cheap' way of going motor racing might be stretching it, when bits start falling out of them.
Old 25 Feb 2002, 09:54 (Ref:222200)   #15
gmontrack
Rookie

The problem with the ST is that over the last few years the bad press, bad media, etc ,etc, has made it so that anyone that has been looking at a category to race in, has not even given ST a look-in. There is all sorts of reasons way this is so and I could rattle off a dozen that spring to mind, but that wouldn't make one ounce of differance to the problem the new admin. has on their hands to try and get ST back in to some sort of shape. It has a lot to offer the race fan in Aust. with a properly managed, promoted and organised category. There a plenty of non-V8 race fans out there interested in ST, GTP prod.,Mirage/Daewoo cup or any other type of non-V8 racing. You only have to go to the Wed. night drags and see how many, front and rear wheel drive 4 cyld. "pocket rockets" are lining up to do battle down the 1/4 mile. Motor racing is for all sorts and the sooner Mr AVSCO realise it(which will probably never happen) the better motor racing will be for it.
I love motorsport and that includes anything that you can go fast in.
Old 26 Feb 2002, 10:31 (Ref:222795)   #16
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
I hope the ST cars make some appearances at races in this year's Powertour.
Super Tourers and Future Tourers will be attending all 8 rounds of this years PowerTour series.

ROUND 01 .....ORAN PARK 24 / 03 / 02
ROUND 02 .....MALALA
ROUND 03 .....QUEENSLAND RACEWAY
ROUND 04 .....CALDER PARK
ROUND 05 .....BARBAGELLO
ROUND 06 .....WAKEFIELD PARK
ROUND 07 .....WINTON
ROUND 08 .....ORAN PARK

In response to the Super Production cars. The SP cars should be quicker over a lap time, look maybe a little more agressive on track. The SP series would also be marketed as a FIA international series maybe get the New Zealand guys over here and vice versa, so I don't think mixing the 2 series (Procars Gt production) would be an issue.

Last edited by D.R.T.; 26 Feb 2002 at 10:34.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 07:53 (Ref:225679)   #17
gmontrack
Rookie

I was at Oran P yesterday and the organisers had still not got the regs from CAMS for the Power Tour Meeting. You would have to be asking the question as to weather the meeting was still on and why it has all been left to the last minute.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 08:06 (Ref:225681)   #18
RaceTime
Veteran

I was speaking to one of the organisers about the series about 3 weeks ago and another 2-3 weeks before that. Both have promised to get back to me on various items - I am still waiting!
Old 2 Mar 2002, 09:09 (Ref:225705)   #19
gmontrack
Rookie

The P.Tour people look like they are having a few problems with the running of their events. They seem to be very keen to put on a meeting that has a bit of everything, Trucks, S.T., NASCAR, C/CUP, HQ's which to me sounds like a good idea. Maybe someone thinks otherwise?
Old 3 Mar 2002, 21:04 (Ref:227205)   #20
ASTEM
Rookie

Australia
Australia
ASTEM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australian Super Touring Entrants Management (ASTEM) has been established with the objective to getting the teams back racing and to develop the category.

Team Owners have a major share holder in ASTEM and we have been working hard to bring the teams together and to give them a voice and some control over their category.

The Super Tourers will be running an 8 round series in conjunction with the Power Tour over 5 states. The first round will be Oran Park March 24.

Car numbers for Oran Park are confirmed at 11 Super Tourers. We still have 4 cars that are considered as strong possible starters to confirm for the grid. ASTEM is very confident that we will have 13 on the grid for Oran Park.

Super Tourers will be a stand-alone category at all the 8 rounds

Super Touring is now firmly back on the racing calendar and is being backed and funded by the Team Owners whose personal commitment and enthusiasm is focused clearly on putting the only true International Category back before the racing public.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 21:31 (Ref:227222)   #21
RaceTime
Veteran

Where can information on this be obtained from? ANy media releases as yet?
Old 3 Mar 2002, 21:35 (Ref:227227)   #22
ASTEM
Rookie

Australia
Australia
ASTEM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the next few days we wil be sending out press releases with the names and cars that will competing at the oran park round.

in the next few days a new web site will be online dedicated to Super touring, for now there is some information avaible via the power tours web site http://www.thepowertour.com.au
Old 3 Mar 2002, 22:55 (Ref:227332)   #23
MPG paul
Rookie

MPG paul should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentlemen rest assured the regs are on their way back from CAMS, we have had a Grand Prix over the last few days and the boys in Melbourne have been a tad busy... Any way we are certainly going to do all we can to see the Super Tourers regain some momentum over the coming months. Our return to Chanel TEN with a dedicated Power Tour show of three one episodes for round One at Oran should air in April but we are still working out times with sport guys at TEN. Watch the website http://www.thepowertour.com.au for updates and dont believe everything you hear on these sites unless it is from me or ASTEM as misinformation will abound of that much I am absolutley certain.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 01:52 (Ref:227429)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's great to see people getting together to get the class going good again, the PowerTour should be great this year.

Also welcome ASTEM and MPG paul to Ten-Tenths
Old 4 Mar 2002, 02:45 (Ref:227438)   #25
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So are SBS still covering Power Tour races as well ?