Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:19 (Ref:1023946)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How Good Is Scott Sharp?

Well, with the rumor of a Ganassi take-over of Kelly Racing floating around out there, I thought it might be a good time to ask what your guys opinion of Scott Sharp is.

I happen to think that he is a much better driver than his equipment is allowing. He consistently brings his car to the finish line in one piece, and almost always in a better position than he qualified with. Kelly hasn't given him a decent car all season, and he is still 12th in points. He's had some good accomplishments in this series, and I believe with a top-line team, as Ganassi, he could be as competitive as any of the top drivers.

I don't want to see Kelly Racing go, but I do want to see Scott get a shot with a better team. What do you guys think?

PS - I'm outa here, I'm on vacation for awhile! Talk to you when I get back!
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:33 (Ref:1023958)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Scott is a great driver, and is definitaly deserving of better cars. It's a shame to see the place he's in right now, when he was winning races (well, a race) last year.

I'd rather see him and Kelley stay, but Scott in a Ganassi third car would bring home good results I'm sure.

Enjoy your holidays, GP
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:34 (Ref:1023960)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Difficult to measure him and the car's performance this year with no team-mate to compare.

I think his best days are probably behind him, though.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 01:51 (Ref:1024236)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
he is a strange one if you ask me , very inconsistent , sometimes he is completely unbeatable and other days he just shouldnt be out there at all.

Dont get me wrong I think Scott is a very good driver but I just cant seem to make my mind up about him.

He has crashed quite a bit in his career and when he does crash he usually does a pretty damm exciting job of it.

I'd like to see him do a season in a really good car just to see how good he actually is.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 11:44 (Ref:1024640)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was a little surprised that they kept him ahead of Al for this season - Al finished ahead in the series and was generally more competitive, and appears to be through his personal problems.

Scott was never more than midfield in CART, and sees typical of the kind of driver who's been gradually squeezed out by the increasing standard of drivers. Kelley were competitive last year and yet Scott was second-last of all the Toyota guys in the championship (and Foyt IV hardly counts).

Putting it all together I'm not convinced that he's someone I'd be desperate to see remain in the series. A return for Buddy Lazier, or a fulltime ride for Yasukawa or Meira, would be a better use of the seat if Chip takes it over.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 11:49 (Ref:1024651)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Chip does buy the team, Massimiliano Papis is a possibility - he already drives for Ganassi in Grand-Am.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 12:47 (Ref:1024811)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
dear god no please keep Scott in the seat then
Old 3 Jul 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1024815)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

What's the problem with Papis?

Apart from him apparently having an ego the size of a small country!

Old 3 Jul 2004, 12:53 (Ref:1024830)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
hehehhe , I wont go into it KB , lets just say I dont think max is very good at all , just my personal opinion though
Old 3 Jul 2004, 12:54 (Ref:1024833)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Fair enough!
Old 3 Jul 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1024854)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Max isn't that bad. He's got a great record in 500 milers in both CART and IRL, and won CART races when the standard was much higher. He's done well in Sportscars as well, and didn't disgrace himself in F1 either. A driver with top-level road course experience could be ideal for 2005.