Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Jan 2014, 21:38 (Ref:3350412)   #1
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ridgard seats

Does anyone know how much Ridgard seats are new, I have a couple of race seats with headrests in good condition & have some one wanting to buy them.

No idea how much to sell them for.

Any ideas?
Old 5 Jan 2014, 09:37 (Ref:3350535)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are they FIA approved seats? If not then I would imagine not very much as they are only suitable for road cars
Old 5 Jan 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3350571)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Are they FIA approved seats? If not then I would imagine not very much as they are only suitable for road cars
I thought we only need FIA approved seats for FIA events, they are not required by MSA for club racing here? Or have I been asleep.... Plus, Bob Ridgard's seats, being of 50s/ 60s design, probably tick the FIA box for use in period F or earlier cars anyway?

In answer to the OP, think you would be best to phone Bob and ask him.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 15:03 (Ref:3350589)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was under the impression that belts, seats and other safety equipment has to be FIA approved regardless of event but happy to be proven wrong!
Old 5 Jan 2014, 15:05 (Ref:3350590)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Bobs seats are not dated,they comply anyway.
Age therefore isn't the problem but the overall condition is-were either ever involved in any kind of shunt etc? Depending on the appearance ,possibly about £100 each,maybe less.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3350611)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I was under the impression that belts, seats and other safety equipment has to be FIA approved regardless of event but happy to be proven wrong!
Nope, not all. Belts, extinguishers and racewear yes. Belts only are dated / lifed. It is, however, mandatory now in UK Historic Stage Rallying to fit FIA homologated seats, but in racing they are only required for events run to FIA regs. On top of that, Pre 62 and Pre 66 (period E and F) cars can use either an in date FIA homologated seat or an 'original' period one.

Other money saving tips available.......
Old 5 Jan 2014, 20:38 (Ref:3350671)   #7
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for everyone's input, I was thinking £100 ea as well.

Ref the other discussion about legality etc. Although they aren't FIA marked, they did come straight out of my FIA Alfa which is slightly confusing. I did use the Alfa for a season in the HSCC/HRSR with these seats fitted, no questions being asked. Mind you, I did run the car in the App K class so presumably the scrutineers took the FIA papers as accurate?

Anyway, I have a friend whose restoring a Cortina Mk 1 GT as a road car, ideal for him.

Thanks again, see you all at Donington, hopefully, with it being a few weeks later it won't be snowing like the previous 2 yrs.
Old 6 Jan 2014, 07:12 (Ref:3350806)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob has,in the past,had various discussions with the powers that be concerning the date/label thing and was told by the MSA that the seats are totally OK for all events.Chosen seat for vast numbers of B owners who never had any questions asked at events like Spa 6 hr.Of course a non FIA event,but there were some FIA sanctioned events as well,never a problem there either.
Old 6 Jan 2014, 07:25 (Ref:3350810)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
105 Mad- as stated in post #6 your Alfa is from a period that doesn't require a homologated seat, so Ridgards should not be questioned. I've raced two pre 66 cars of my own in FIA events around mainland Europe, plus others as well with non homologated seats, and never had them questioned. But if you choose to fit an 'FIA' seat, then it is lifed and will need changing every 6 or 10 years, depending on it's homologation.....

Yes, it is confusing!
Old 6 Jan 2014, 07:53 (Ref:3350819)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

ironically Terry the only place I have heard pulling people up for non FIA seats was at Spa! A mate got pulled in his GTA but when he said he would go home rather than buy a seat at the track as his seat was fine they relented.
Krkham seats have the same potential issue as Ridgard seats which is ridiculous as they are good seats
Old 7 Jan 2014, 09:08 (Ref:3351144)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
There was a big hoo ha at Chimay in '05 re seats, Gabriel Konig vented some on the scrutineers (a memorable scene) as they failed her A40 with a Ridgard. and about 30 others, myself included, with an assortment of pews , as the FiA dates had recently changed apparently, eventually JT calmed all (It was a Top Hat race) and we all had fun.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 09:10 (Ref:3351145)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

Chimay/Top Hat... them were the days
Old 7 Jan 2014, 09:39 (Ref:3351154)   #13
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon,
Ah ! Chimay ! Where the track surface finished, the Armco started ... not a track to be trifled with.

I raced there in 2002, '04 and I think a third year. Local authority road surfacing added to the fun and one of the right-handers at the North of the circuit went through a farmer's front yard ... first time I raced there, the farmer was climbing a ladder to clean his front windows with the foot of the ladder on the apex of the corner. Aaargh ! I didn't see him in subsequent years, so I assume he didn't survive ....

The organiser's snatch vehicle would just tow a car in during a race - no white flags or anything. During the race, on the fast downhill right-hander on the return leg I discovered the towtruck with a defunct Lotus Cortina on the blind apex doing 10 mph...

Good fun, but after the third visit, I concluded I had used up my fund of good luck at the circuit. And I was tiring of the giant wasp swarms in the paddock.
Nick
Old 7 Jan 2014, 09:48 (Ref:3351156)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

I recall on one of those occassions being in some type of control tower (have no recollections as to why!) and you telling me about a GTA you had just bought...

I think it was the same year the Lanfranchi Lotus Cortina rolled on that top right hander, post reshell I briefly owned the car and still see it around various paddocks.

I think I only did it twice, 02 and 04 sounds about right. Shared my Alfa with Robert Parker on both occassions, once successfully and once disastrously if my memory is correct!
Old 7 Jan 2014, 12:15 (Ref:3351205)   #15
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
There was a big hoo ha at Chimay in '05 re seats, Gabriel Konig vented some on the scrutineers (a memorable scene) as they failed her A40 with a Ridgard.
Happened every year Gabriel went to Chimay - was that not the year they forgot to switch the timing on during practice?
Old 7 Jan 2014, 17:47 (Ref:3351304)   #16
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to get things back on topic

Just seen this ad.

Not sure if its relative to Paul's question.

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=437904
Old 8 Jan 2014, 11:43 (Ref:3351563)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

these look like road car seats - if his are the same he might have morre success in teh classic car section?
Old 9 Jan 2014, 06:05 (Ref:3351908)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In order to view the range available take a look here: http://www.ridgardseats.co.uk/HOME.html
Old 30 Jan 2014, 10:36 (Ref:3362023)   #19
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm Ridgard seats eh!
Appendix K allows period seats in both Period F and G. I have never been convinced that the Ridgard type seat was available pre 1966, but my Mini Cooper sure had one fitted by 1971. So I think they are a Period G seat.
What I don't understand is how you can run the seat in Period G but not Period F. Appendix K needs to be amended such that all these sorts of stipulations are retrospective IMHO.
Further as I understand it the seat testing is done only in modern cars , all of which have the contemporary crush structures-thus the seat is required to be a non crush item within a crush structure. By their own confession FIA are unable to devise a test for a ''crushable' seat in a non crush structure like a Mustang or a Mini, thus it seems in the event of an accident with an FIA seat there is the danger that the impact goes all the way through to the sitters pelvis which is the final crushable structure.
Maybe the FIA have this wrong.