Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Sep 2005, 19:17 (Ref:1417250)   #1
gearlever
Rookie

gearlever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trident Iceni

Does anyone have any history of the Trident Iceni which is back and will compete in the British GT Championship at Silverstone for the last two races on October 8th.

It now has a V8 bio diesel engine!! Has it really got a chance to compete with the Scuderia Ecosse Ferrari's with a bio diesel?

Did it race in GT's before?
Old 26 Sep 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1417401)   #2
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I recall, the Trident project started in the late '90s ("of the last century" - I'll never get used to that ), and Eric Broadley was (still is?) involved in it. AFAIK this is the marque's first foray into racing, certainly on a national level; the diesel idea is new. Today's diesels are powerful and "sporty" enough for sportscars, though.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 23:10 (Ref:1417451)   #3
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearlever
Does anyone have any history of the Trident Iceni which is back and will compete in the British GT Championship at Silverstone for the last two races on October 8th.

It now has a V8 bio diesel engine!! Has it really got a chance to compete with the Scuderia Ecosse Ferrari's with a bio diesel?

Did it race in GT's before?
In order

No history other than what eddsc has written today

No

and No

It's an interesting project but don't expect anything too much too soon
Old 27 Sep 2005, 00:37 (Ref:1417484)   #4
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Wow, up until a few mintues ago I had never even heard of it (no great comment there, I miss most things), but Eric Broadley has/had some involvement? Where does the engine come from, it isn't inhouse is it?

On top of all else, I love the fact that the British still turn out automobiles from cottage like businesses. Morgan, TVR, Ginetta, Marcos. More power to them (no pun intended)

robert
Old 27 Sep 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1417667)   #5
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Am I wrong in thinking that there is a lot of Subaru in the Trident
Old 27 Sep 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1417673)   #6
gearlever
Rookie

gearlever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which team is managing/engineering the car and who are the drivers?
Old 28 Sep 2005, 22:03 (Ref:1419428)   #7
insideposeidon
Rookie

insideposeidon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Am I wrong in thinking that there is a lot of Subaru in the Trident
you are wrong, and two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do...
Old 28 Sep 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1419433)   #8
insideposeidon
Rookie

e.broadley got involved in 2000, turned it on its head, spent alot of money, sacked everyone while "developing the project"-with no employees- then liquidated the company. What a great shame!! but now it is back, using the same emphasise on quality and innovation, but what looks to be a much better car all round.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 22:08 (Ref:1419434)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by insideposeidon
you are wrong, and two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do...
...I will admit it's taken me a while to figure this out...
Old 1 Oct 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1421552)   #10
alikan
Rookie

alikan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iceni

Has any diesel raced GT in the past?
Old 2 Oct 2005, 00:23 (Ref:1421848)   #11
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Don't think so.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 22:21 (Ref:1427681)   #12
MSportUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
MSportUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall reading about a "no visible emissions" rule for British GT. Given the state of the exhaust emissions from the diesels doing the rounds in the likes of the VW cup, I'd have thought most normal diesels would be scuppered by such a rule.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 22:32 (Ref:1427687)   #13
MSportUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Smoky diesel examples (clicky):
Old 9 Oct 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1428720)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes the Tridant, it looks the part. But from what I have seen this weekend they have a lot of work to do. This weekend it did a total of 5 laps, 1 lap in qualifying yesterday and 4 in the warm up this morning. But good luck to them, its an interesting project and one I am keeping an eye on.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1428740)   #15
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
Yes the Tridant, it looks the part.
Really, you think so? I'd have stayed in the workshop and kept working on it if it had been down to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
But from what I have seen this weekend they have a lot of work to do.
You're not wrong, close up there's a LOT that needs to be done.

Although, I have to admit, the Hummer engine, should they get it out on track, should make an interesting weapon.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1428767)   #16
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why do they keep on using truck-engines for these efforts? Touareg for Taurus, Hummer for the Trident. Wouldn't it make more sense to develop a diesel racer around, lets say, that fenomenal 3 litre diesel engine BMW drops in the 5-series?
Old 9 Oct 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1428772)   #17
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi R8R
Really, you think so? I'd have stayed in the workshop and kept working on it if it had been down to me.
I think they where right to bring the car out this weekend Ok it didn't do much but you its a new car and there bounded to be problems, which hopefully they can iron out before next year.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1428784)   #18
MSportUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
This weekend was more of a shakedown than anything else as the car's not really been tested. Apparently it caused a lot of confusion in scrutineering! Will be very interesting to see how it progresses for next season.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1428830)   #19
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say good luck to them, anyone who want to develop a car for GT racing gets my support.

(As an aside, we had a sweepstake in the pitlane today as to how long the car would last. Unfortunately noone had DNS as an option!)
Old 9 Oct 2005, 22:52 (Ref:1428871)   #20
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It wasn't too impressive this weekend, but I guess it was more of a test than anything else. Still, I wouldn't have done it in the public eye...

Let's hope it's back next year, after some decent winter testing.

I managed to get a shot of it on track anyway...

http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/trident1.jpg

Looks like a giant insect doesn't it?
Old 10 Oct 2005, 08:16 (Ref:1429206)   #21
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Speaking to the chaps standing next to the Trident yesterday, the car has an 8-speed gearbox (automatic IIRC).

I don't think one-hour sprint GT races will be the ideal format for diesel cars, but it would be interesting to see how it would manage in a 24-hour race.

Anyway, at least it's not another 911.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1429429)   #22
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cool photo, cool car. Yes, the UK motorsports cottage industry continues unabated! btw, whatever happened to the Cobra replica we were promised for this year??
Old 10 Oct 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1429994)   #23
insideposeidon
Rookie

with 800ftlbs of torque, 8 paddle shift gears, and a 2 to 1 overdrive system, this engine is so strong and powerful that in the near future- when the normal creases are ironed out- when they can reign in the power and put that on the tarmac, it will be an awesome racer.
Judging by the spec i was told and have seen, it will do 210MPH+ and with no smoke on the bio-diesel.

All the best to them i say- small team, small budget, bags of balls and full on commitment.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 00:18 (Ref:1430282)   #24
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by insideposeidon
with 800ftlbs of torque, 8 paddle shift gears, and a 2 to 1 overdrive system, this engine is so strong and powerful that in the near future- when the normal creases are ironed out- when they can reign in the power and put that on the tarmac, it will be an awesome racer.
Judging by the spec i was told and have seen, it will do 210MPH+ and with no smoke on the bio-diesel.

All the best to them i say- small team, small budget, bags of balls and full on commitment.
By my reckoning then, that puts them into GT1 territory. So, it'll be up against the MC12s and DBR9s next season, will it?
Old 11 Oct 2005, 15:33 (Ref:1430814)   #25
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Does it have a particle filter?