Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Oct 2018, 16:32 (Ref:3860162)   #26
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
John, of course I can always try, I like the place. And the region, you know why. The situation of historics here is not quite simple… Moons ago, we could meet many Brits there and even a F1 team (Renault).

Not only Renault, Gerard. Williams have tested there in preparation for Monaco.

Clubs like BRSCC, BARC & HSCC have run meetings here in the past but I'm told the MSA no longer allows them to come - don't know if that is correct.

In recent years quite a large contingent of historic racers have come over for a two-day test in March but I don't know if they came this year. It was always bitterly cold.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 17:48 (Ref:3860177)   #27
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Gerard, can't you persuade any of your friends to come & race at Croix?
We are coming sometime with the 500 cars. Looking forward to going back.I did win a race there many years ago.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 18:11 (Ref:3860182)   #28
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Of course you're very much welcome there Delta! The people running the track are really nice, meaning not only money oriented. And the locals are nice too, giving a relaxing and sporty atmosphere. I dont really know your 500 cars (Manx engine I guess) but they must be "Ă* l'aise" on this track. Moons ago, the best lap time was settled by a SuperKart 250, faster than a F1.
Is'nt Nuffield supposed to be 4 hours drive from Croix (330 km)?
Old 31 Oct 2018, 18:51 (Ref:3860192)   #29
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
For those going to Magny-Cours GP de France, June 28-30th for instance, if you need testing just before the race, you can go to Lurcy Levis track, designed around the long straight of an airfield. circuit-lurcy-levis.com website in the two languages. Only 30 minutes from Magny.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 18:57 (Ref:3860194)   #30
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Of course you're very much welcome there Delta! The people running the track are really nice, meaning not only money oriented. And the locals are nice too, giving a relaxing and sporty atmosphere. I dont really know your 500 cars (Manx engine I guess) but they must be "Ă* l'aise" on this track. Moons ago, the best lap time was settled by a SuperKart 250, faster than a F1.
Is'nt Nuffield supposed to be 4 hours drive from Croix (330 km)?
Probably is.2 and 1/2 hours to Dover then 1and 1/2 to Croix.Just hope the date does not clash.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 08:56 (Ref:3860269)   #31
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
We are coming sometime with the 500 cars. Looking forward to going back.I did win a race there many years ago.
That's good to hear, Iain! The 500's came in 2013 & the racing was superb - the perfect track for them. Were you there then?
Old 1 Nov 2018, 08:59 (Ref:3860271)   #32
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Probably is.2 and 1/2 hours to Dover then 1and 1/2 to Croix.Just hope the date does not clash.
Croix is aprox 110km/70m from Calais. Takes me about 75minutes by car. And Gerard is correct, the circuits & locals are very welcoming(me included!°).
Old 1 Nov 2018, 09:58 (Ref:3860300)   #33
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
And Saint Pol's bistrots are good places to go!
HVM "international dates"confirmed:
March, 29-31th, Le Castellet Motors Cup, Paul Ricard;
May, 24-26th, Grand Prix de Pau Historique, Pau ville;
June, 28-30th, Grand Prix de France Historique, Magny-Cours F1 track,
October, 4-6th, Dijon Motors Cup, Dijon Prenois.
Five other dates dedicated to French championship, you're all welcome of course.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 17:09 (Ref:3860396)   #34
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing mention of various French circuits reminds me that a couple of years ago I went to have a look at Val de Vienne circuit located between Limoges and Poitier. I didn't have access to look round the whole circuit but it looked quite good from the bit I could see from near the pits. There were some single seaters testing there (Formula Renault perhaps) and a couple of race transporters from a seemingly well financed team. As we were going somewhere I didn't have time to try to gain better access or talk to the teams in Franglais. It's location is lovely being close to the Vienne river.

I never see it mentioned either for historic or contemporary racing.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 19:19 (Ref:3860411)   #35
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Really few things to add to what you've said. Right, Limoges, Poitiers and AngoulĂŞme are the big cities around. I dont know why and how this track became more motorbikes oriented. Right again, never heard about an international event there.
Historic Tour, our national championship, pays an annual visit though.
October 25-27th, 2019 are the dates. We have a series, Salooncar, hosted by VdeV racing which should accept heavily modified historic, being a kind of Modsports. Yes, few french organisers do speak English, but you all are welcome! The best example might be Alan Morgan and delta who came to Charade.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 08:14 (Ref:3860498)   #36
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The best example might be Alan Morgan and delta who came to Charade.
...and we're going to Pau again next year. We'd love to go to Charade as well but unfortunately it clashes with an HSCC meeting.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3860508)   #37
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Glad to hear that, Alan, you told me you have a good contact with HVM. Sorry for the clash of Charade but may be you can chose another meeting held in France, just have to look to the Historic Tour calendar. May be better than others, you and delta know how much each of your venue in France is appreciated.
Guess you could appear during Historic F1 GP of Magny-Cours?
Sorry, should have said you, delta and your series of course.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 11:28 (Ref:3860538)   #38
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Laurent invited us to Magny Cours but it happens to be the same weekend as the HSCC Superprix at Brands Hatch GP. I have told him that I would like to do at least 2 races with HVM in 2020. Albi sounds like a nice place and Le Mans Bugatti would be appealing as well if there is a race there in 2020.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3860540)   #39
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Those are good news, thanks for that. You all know Bugatti and its facilities and how easy it is to reach from England, Albi is rather far away from your location. Coordinate all the calendars seems impossible though.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3860561)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Of course, all this racing in France will depend on whether us Brits are allowed to travel there after brexit! You may not want anything to do with us.......
Old 2 Nov 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3860599)   #41
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Of course, all this racing in France will depend on whether us Brits are allowed to travel there after brexit! You may not want anything to do with us.......
I have a feeling there's a thread about that somewhere Mike...

Could we be heading for another "Winter of Discontent" forty years on from the last one?
Old 2 Nov 2018, 17:42 (Ref:3860600)   #42
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Happy to see you are with the smile mode on, Mike! I'm nor a boy scout, neither an angel but I think and hope the Brexit won't affect any friendship or any pleasure to share historic racing. Let give us a lesson in this matter. And you won't have to change the steering wheel from right to left

Just out of my curiosity, did you have any feed back after the last coming of CSCC? Are they happy, not so much, will they return…
Old 2 Nov 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3860602)   #43
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Could we be heading for another "Winter of Discontent" forty years on from the last one?
I’m discontent every winter...... Barcelona in April can’t come soon enough!
Old 5 Nov 2018, 13:11 (Ref:3861105)   #44
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Just out of my curiosity, did you have any feed back after the last coming of CSCC? Are they happy, not so much, will they return…

This is a quote from a post on the CSCC FB page:

"Fog delayed our start again, but we got the full race duration in, with drivers and team heading home with smiles and a top up of tan to boot. Well that's officially the end of the CSCC racing season, what a brilliant way to close a superb year of club motorsport."

And judging from comments from individual competitors, they enjoyed it.... As for whether they'll return - CSCC do like to ring the changes and this is an extract from next year's calendar, as posted earlier:
" October 4-6 - Dijon-Prenois (separate Classic + Modern grids)"
Old 5 Nov 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3861110)   #45
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Following on from the apparently successful Classic Alfa Challenge he ran recently at Donington, Julius Thurgood in conjunction with HRDC has released proposals for 2 Trackdays at Goodwood on 5 and 18 March 2019, and a confirmed race at Silverstone on 14 April, with others proposed at Thruxton on 2 June and Castle Combe on 5 October. Races to run to the same format as this year - 15 minute qualy, 30 minute race, and presumably to the same (somewhat vague ) class regs.

The intention is that the Classic Alfa Challenge will be expanded further in 2020, presumably dependent on support.

As one who loves to see older Alfas being used as they should, I wish him well with this series......sadly our 75 V6 is too new to be included.......
Old 5 Nov 2018, 15:34 (Ref:3861143)   #46
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks a lot for the report Lancs', couldn't find it without your help.Happy to know they will return, think Dijon Prenois is a good place to race too. Sun tan in October in Burgundy is not guaranteed though…
Old 7 Nov 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3861599)   #47
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Here are the Masters 2019 European dates:

March 29-31 Le Castellet Motors Cup, Paul Ricard
May 10-12 4 Hours of Monza, Monza
May 25/26 Masters Historic Festival, Brands Hatch
June 8/9 Masters Historic Festival, Donington Park
June 28-30 French Historic Grand Prix, Magny Cours
July 12-14 F1 British Grand Prix, Silverstone
July 26-28 Silverstone Classic, Silverstone
August 9-11 AvD Oldtimer Grand Prix, Nurburgring
September 6-8, Historic Grand Prix, Zandvoort
September 27-29 Spa Six Hours, Spa
Old 7 Nov 2018, 11:37 (Ref:3861604)   #48
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Monza is a race for ‘endurance legends’ only, supporting the ELMS 4hr race there.

The Silverstone 12-14th date is for HF1 cars, supporting the Brit GP.

Full info in the press release here- http://www.mastershistoricracing.com...ters-historic/
Old 7 Nov 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3861657)   #49
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
No offence to our French contributors , but the Masters calendar left me totally uninspired. Very unadventurous, and for me race meetings should be a bit of an adventure!

The Historic F1 preparers opposite me were similarly unexcited.....
Old 7 Nov 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3861660)   #50
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
French or not, there's nothing like an offense. But, just because you suggest a comment , I was wondering how to fill the grids at Paul Ricard, beginning of the season. Interesting to see.
PA will offer again Hungary. Do you know why places like Estoril or Jarama are set aside?