Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 28 Aug 2005, 22:27 (Ref:1393306)   #1
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans+Engineering

Hello,

I have been trying to decide what degree would be better for me to acquire to be able to find a career designing Le Mans LMPs. I have narrowed the choice down to mechanical or aerospace engineering. I am currently at a two-year college planning to transfer to a 4-year university in the fall of 2006. If anyone can help guide me or just give me their ideas would be a great help!

Thanks
Old 28 Aug 2005, 22:39 (Ref:1393316)   #2
jross427
Racer

jross427 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

mechanical, ive done alot of looking into it myself for the field for the same reasons. if u want to build a outright ground up car, than mechanical, if u want to build a body, then aerospace. if u watch formula one, i think its Renault (havent watched it lately) had there car built by a mechanical engineer, everyone else had there car designed by a aerospace engineer. the announcer said that was a big part in why they have so much Mechanical grip. so i would go with mechanical. bodies arent that hard if u know the basic laws of physics and aero-efficency
Old 28 Aug 2005, 22:43 (Ref:1393317)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any sort of Engineering degree I guess will help. You won't get the oportunity to design an entire car, you'll be assigned to a particular part of it (all of this assuming by the way that you find a job with Lola, R&S or someone like that ) so it really depends if you're more interested in aero, drivetrain, chassis etc...

FWIW, while I don't have quite the same plans, I'll admit that designing racing cars of some sort would be rather nice, and personally I'm starting a degree in mechanical engineering in about a month's time.

I also gather that Formula Student is a pretty good way of getting into that sort of area. It will probably be linked to both mechanical and aerospace, but if you can find a course which partipates in that then that would be a bonus.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1393318)   #4
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want to design LMPs from the ground up as jross427 said. But what really interests me the most is actually designing the shape of the bady for the cars.
Thanks for the replies!
Old 28 Aug 2005, 22:57 (Ref:1393324)   #5
jross427
Racer

jross427 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
designing the body also has a part in the design of the whole car. i think u can print the regulations of a LMP1 car from the ACO. it will tell u every rule, so u can design a car. but all the body is for is trying to reduce drag and increas downforce. all the body is is a cover for the car, so u have to design the car first then the body to fit over the parts
Old 29 Aug 2005, 01:25 (Ref:1393385)   #6
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
Any sort of Engineering degree I guess will help. You won't get the oportunity to design an entire car, you'll be assigned to a particular part of it (all of this assuming by the way that you find a job with Lola, R&S or someone like that ) so it really depends if you're more interested in aero, drivetrain, chassis etc...

FWIW, while I don't have quite the same plans, I'll admit that designing racing cars of some sort would be rather nice, and personally I'm starting a degree in mechanical engineering in about a month's time.

I also gather that Formula Student is a pretty good way of getting into that sort of area. It will probably be linked to both mechanical and aerospace, but if you can find a course which partipates in that then that would be a bonus.
This is true, the best place to get involved is the Forumla ASE program at most major colleges - http://www.asecert.org/
Old 30 Aug 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1394395)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Garrett do any engineering degree but design LMP3 / SCCA C sports cars while you are doing it get them built and you will progress you can't just jump into it.

Club racing experience is the real key, all manufacturers demand real world experience and FSAE is just a start. Join up with a local club racer go and spanner for him and learn, that really is the best wat.

dj4monie - its Formula SAE and the web addy is

http://students.sae.org/competitions/formulaseries/
Old 30 Aug 2005, 23:36 (Ref:1395050)   #8
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
Gunman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scroll to the bottom of this page, and you'll find a listing of schools that have motorsports programs:

http://www.jayski.com/pages/school.htm

Those with Motorsports Engineering programs:

UNC's: http://www.motorsportsu.com/

Clemson: http://www.clemson.edu/centers/brooks/racing/index.htm