Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 16 Apr 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3898033)   #76
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well the historics add something to the event, shame they still get stuffed up. And it’s nice to see some stylish drivers out there too
Old 18 Apr 2019, 11:49 (Ref:3898381)   #77
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I see that Tom Onslow-Cole is having another outing in the RX150's - presumably another freebie drive to add something to the meagre entry for them.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 23:29 (Ref:3898473)   #78
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well he just loves competing. Rallycross should be right up his street
Old 23 Apr 2019, 10:32 (Ref:3899142)   #79
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Cracking day of racing at Lydden yesterday (and lovely weather which makes a nice change!). Lively supercar final was won by Derek Tohill in most of a Fiesta - I was suprised he made it to the flag, I thought the amount of smoke coming off the tyres would surely end up in a puncture. Tohill, O'Donovan and Godfrey looked to be a mile ahead of the others all day in terms of pace (although as ever Hill looked quick whilst the Evo lasted - and as ever it let him down). Mike Manning's Fiesta never really looked (or sounded) to be running at 100% which was a shame but it's good to see him back again.

Supernational was a bit of a one horse race all day - nobody was getting near Ovenden and the field was thinning out by the end of the day, that's a class that needs a bit of a lift. There used to be such a wide variety of cars in that class - some of them have shifted into the Retro classes now so that dilutes it a bit but there were quite a few regulars missing too.

Speaking of the Retros - Liam was absolutely flying in the RS200, fastest time of the day across all classes is no mean feat. Have to say the sight of 2 RS200's, 2 6R4's and the Quattro sitting on the grid was a bit special - it's not something I saw in period so it's a real privilege to see it now.

The Swifts, Juniors, MINIs and RX150s all gave some good close racing too (which was a real surprise for the RX150s). Monster accident in the Swifts too - glad to see the driver get out of what was left of the car.

As for Lydden itself - traffic getting out was better than normal as they actually had people managing it (and the way the finals were ordered meant that people left more gradually rather than a charge to get out right at the end). Toilets were the usual state - but did at least start the day clean (although no paper towels all day).
Old 23 Apr 2019, 10:54 (Ref:3899145)   #80
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had a good day as well. Great weather, decent racing in the majority of classes - including the RX150's - and a close Supercar final.

Real shame to (yet again) see Hill have bad luck. Mike Manning still doesn't seem to have got that Fiesta sorted, hope he manages to make some more progress with it as I think he is going to really struggle in Europe with the car in it's present state. Great to see Tohill get the win, I thought he had the speed at Silverstone, he just wasn't as tidy as Godfrey. Good showing from Julian in the Fiesta (though a shame that he hasn't used the time in the garage to get rid of that godawful livery!).

As Bert says the Super National class was a bit of a one horse race. That Clio has so much grunt that, once it's putting the power down, Tristan already has breathing space behind him by the first corner.

Liam was absolutely wringing the neck of that RS200. Seemed to have a few issues in the heats, but it was an absolute missile in the final. Harris wasn't exactly slow in his RS200, but Doran left them all behind. First time I can recall seeing a 4WD car laying rubber all round the elbow as well! Really enjoyed the little scraps thoughout the Retro field, even the cars at the back were trading places. Shame to see that Stratos get smashed up.

Seemed a decent size crowd and I was glad to see that there were adequate facilities to match.

The only real negative were the start line issues which caused a few delays, but the whole thing still wrapped up before the curfew.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 12:01 (Ref:3899162)   #81
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lol, if you never saw Schanche and Gollop or actually guys like Alamaki or Rasmushaugen before them black ribber everywhere was common! And on slicks, that is what a properly driven Group B car did.

Amazed it lasted!!
Old 23 Apr 2019, 13:25 (Ref:3899178)   #82
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Lol, if you never saw Schanche and Gollop or actually guys like Alamaki or Rasmushaugen before them black ribber everywhere was common! And on slicks, that is what a properly driven Group B car did.
Sadly I wasn't old enough to appreciate details like that at the time. You see the modern cars occasionally put a bit of rubber down, but not trace a line through a corner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Amazed it lasted!!
The Doran RS200? It had issues in heats two and three (perhaps temperature related?) as it was silly fast, then seemed to suddenly slow down. It was pinned for the whole final though.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 14:59 (Ref:3899191)   #83
Pozi
Racer

Pozi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
The Doran RS200? It had issues in heats two and three (perhaps temperature related?) as it was silly fast, then seemed to suddenly slow down. It was pinned for the whole final though.
The commentator said heat 2 was just a mistake by Liam because he left the track after the the red flag and the officials would not let him back on again.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 15:04 (Ref:3899192)   #84
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pozi View Post
The commentator said heat 2 was just a mistake by Liam because he left the track after the the red flag and the officials would not let him back on again.
Ah, I wondered what happened there. I didn't seem him initially leaving the track, but saw the marshal at the bottom of the hill direct him off the circuit. He must have ducked into the slip road then come back out again?
Old 23 Apr 2019, 15:43 (Ref:3899207)   #85
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
there is an interesting element to this though.

That car is probably a second a lap quicker than the final versions of the Group B RS200's running in 92, the last year of the rules. Pat ran one for years after that, very powerful, very trick. But I would suggest Liam is no match for Martin on his day. That track record stood for years from 1988 and 1990.

But Liam is a current level driver, in WRX probably a top 6 driver in terms of speed, and he was quicker than the current spec of rallycross cars.

Yes the 200 is probably lighter and more powerful, but nowhere near as much torque, I doubt as clever in terms of diffs and gearboxes. and obviously mid engined.

Lydden was ALWAYS the best track for the RS200, was quicker than the 205 usually there too.

So a modern car is slower? Tohill is a decent peddler, not on Dorans level but not bad. The rest are quick clubmen.

I find it interesting that an old car, albeit with new tech on it is quicker. Was he running slicks or cut slicks? Probably. they would work better than the crap tyres modern cars have to run.

Imagine going to say Cloaenog with a 205 and say Elfyn Evans, can you imagine if he was quicker through the stage than Ogier, Tanak, Neuville in the modern WRC cars?
Old 23 Apr 2019, 17:38 (Ref:3899221)   #86
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Ha, I was waiting for the old versus new debate to start!

I think he was running slicks, sure I got a picture of the car in the paddock so I can check that later. There was a write up on that car (in it's current guise) published a year or so ago (in Octane). I'll have to check but I am pretty sure a lot of it's underpinnings were pretty modern (I am 99% sure it's running modern suspension).

Sure the magazine article was talking about well in excess of 600 BHP in that car, so I think the torque levels may well be equal to (or even greater than) a modern Supercar.

I think it's a tough one to call. Yeah, an restricted Group B car stuffed with modern tech is likely quicker than a current car, but when it drastically deviates from it's original specification can you really consider it an "old" Group B car? And if you remove the restriction from the new car that will surely be faster again. A direct comparison of period cars would be interesting, though I wonder how many (if any) of those there are in use.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3899232)   #87
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Ha, I was waiting for the old versus new debate to start!

I think he was running slicks, sure I got a picture of the car in the paddock so I can check that later.
It was on slicks - just checked one of my photos in the paddock.

Quote:
I think it's a tough one to call. Yeah, an restricted Group B car stuffed with modern tech is likely quicker than a current car, but when it drastically deviates from it's original specification can you really consider it an "old" Group B car? And if you remove the restriction from the new car that will surely be faster again. A direct comparison of period cars would be interesting, though I wonder how many (if any) of those there are in use.
This is the thing - how much of that RS200 is 'period'? Not much I'd have said - suspension, brakes, engine, turbo, gearbox, diffs - all that will be better than period. Add to that the advantage of the mid engine layout and you're well on your way. Remove the engineering restrictions from the modern cars and you'd see an improvement in performance for sure.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 20:47 (Ref:3899253)   #88
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
I found the article I was thinking of (Octane, November 2017, if anyone cares). According to that feature the engine is - or at least was - producing 750 BHP/750 Ft. Lbs, overall weight of the car was 1000 Kg and it was running a modern sequential box.

So that's modern transmission, as much (if not more) torque than a modern engine plus 300 Kg less weight.

Interestingly (or not depending on how much trivial details matter to you) the car had single coilovers in the pictures for that article, but it was on twin shocks yesterday: a requirement of the class perhaps? If that is the case then perhaps other details have had to change.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3899255)   #89
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The car has had numerous layouts since Pat bought it in 1990.

The standard is twin shocks, most period ran this.

I know the car in the later Hydrex era had considerably more than 700hp, maybe 850, Pat did not skimp on power! Then the restrictor era finally came into GB rallycross and it was moved around a it until it was bought back and the Doran team rebuilt it.

I would think the torque is not that high ie 750lb/ft, the modern engines have massive torque because of the restrictor, a regular high boost turbo not so much, but still high.

I doubt the class puts heavy restrictions on cars, some have been turned away and are now back again with different drivers, it is a face fits series.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 21:41 (Ref:3899262)   #90
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
A few pics from the day:
Attached Thumbnails
T3.JPG   q1.JPG   m1.JPG  

IMG_9184.JPG   q2.JPG   S2.JPG  

Old 23 Apr 2019, 23:03 (Ref:3899272)   #91
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have to agree with all comments so far, was a cracking days racing, the lovely weather certainly helped things along. Was great to see Nikita Abramov walk away from from massive shunt, show how important a well preped car is.

Felt really sorry for Drew Bellerby, she was either first or second all day long and drove great to win the BMW Mini final until right rear suspension failure on last lap robbed her of victory.

There seamed to be, from the people i was talking to, more excitement for the historic's this meeting than any other class and no one was disappointed. Liam, weather you like him or not, did exactly what he said he would and really throw Rosie around and was great to watch and even behind him there were great scraps especialy between Rob Gibson and Steve Harris.

Couple of footnotes for the historic's, the 6r4 the Roger Thomas was using was in full rally spec not RallyCross, hopefully he should be out in the ex Will Gollop Rx 6r4 later in the year and also Derek Jobbs was disqualified for not using the correct fuel. Phillip Collard was there with his Renault 5 but only did a few laps in practice before being towed off the start line at beginning of heat 1, never to run again. Is a really nice looking car, tho was a bit disapionted to see a Vauxhall engine in there not a flame spitting turbo engine.

On to the Supercars, there was little to split O'Donovan and Tohill all day, the main difference being the tidier and less sideways style of Tohill being faster, might explain why O'Donovan had a few right rear punctures during the day. As for Godrey, the Fiesta despite being near the pace is showing its age now, if Spencer Sport have sumone to drive their Mirage then they need to get it out there as it such a shame to have it sitting in the garage doing nothing!

little bits of news was that Roger Thomas M-Sport Fiesta still not ready as the engine still being sorted out by M-Sport. Also Jake Harris has one of the ex Prodrive / JRM / LDM Mini's and should have that ready for later on, hopefully the August bank holiday meeting at Lydden.

Sorry that went on a bit, but here's mid vid from the day, apologies as i missed the Swift snr and Retro 2WD finals.

https://youtu.be/f88OkdjDP2c
Old 30 Apr 2019, 08:22 (Ref:3900649)   #92
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Sorry that went on a bit, but here's mid vid from the day, apologies as i missed the Swift snr and Retro 2WD finals.

https://youtu.be/f88OkdjDP2c
Great video again, appreciate the standalone Retro one as well!

Uploaded a few photos from Lydden, few favourites:

Full album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57691191308423

If any of you want to see more!
Old 30 Apr 2019, 13:00 (Ref:3900718)   #93
S griffin
Veteran

Thanks for that amateur footage, weird seeing the old cars out there and thanks for the pictures too, will look at them in due course
Old 30 Apr 2019, 23:00 (Ref:3900865)   #94
S griffin
Veteran

I like the fact though the old cars have their own category. Keep up the photos
Old 12 Aug 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3922457)   #95
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Entry list up for Lydden:

https://www.rallycrossbrx.com/news/e...rYwaoaIye8dtvo

6 Supercars
16 Super National/Super 1600
11 Suzuki Swifts
9 Swift Juniors
8 BMW MINI
9 Retros
2 RX150

Nice to see a full entry in Super National/Super 1600, but not great Supercar numbers and, yet again, barely anyone in RX150's.

Fingers crossed for some more entries.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 08:00 (Ref:3922535)   #96
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
The supercars are missing the usual front runners - no Godfrey, Proctor or O'Donovan - are they all of to the ERC round the week after and skipping Lydden for that?
Old 13 Aug 2019, 08:33 (Ref:3922538)   #97
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The supercars are missing the usual front runners - no Godfrey, Proctor or O'Donovan - are they all of to the ERC round the week after and skipping Lydden for that?
Ollie is on the entry list for Loheac, but Godfrey isn't.

I note that Mark Flaherty is entered (at Loheac) in a Fiesta, I wonder whose car that is?

O'Donovan isn't at the top of the table though, so perhaps he is willing to drop the British round? Surprised not to see Godfrey on the Lydden entry though. Couple more weeks to go, so hopefully those numbers rise.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 09:08 (Ref:3922543)   #98
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure about Godfrey but Proctor not done any rounds of the BRx this year and is not on the Euro Rx entry list either. O'Donovan is on the Euro Rx list with his Fiesta so maybe it might be Lydden with his old Focus?

Just to bring things up-to-date, a few weeks ago the newly remaned Motorsport UK launched a tender process for the running and promotion of the British Rx series for the next 3 years. From what it sounds,the are looking for a TOCA like group to take over the Rx.

https://www.motorsportuk.org/Motorsp...s-Championship

Also, and if this was April 1st it would be a good one, but there will be a new class in next years BRx, Rallycross Trucks! From the inital anouncment at the weekend they will be rear drive with 700BHP and aiming for a grid of around 12 next year. The first ready truck will be doing demo laps at Lydden it show off the concept.

https://lyddenhill.co.uk/truck-rally...-hill-in-2019/
Old 13 Aug 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3922605)   #99
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'm certainly more intrigued with truck RX than RX150 or electric RX! They sound pretty epic.

Obviously it's not rallycross but I'd certainly stick around to watch 12 of those beasts race!
Old 22 Aug 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3923739)   #100
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Godfrey and Bennett are now entered in the supercars - good to see but still hoping for more!