Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Jan 2020, 23:50 (Ref:3951437)   #26
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Pond was the equal to any of those imho.

Shame his proper assault on the world stage didn't come til his 6R4 deal in 85/86.

He had done a quite a few with Nissan a few years earlier but the equipment wasn't good enough.

France and Belgium certainly had the most tarmac aces in the 80's.

2 others that shone were Chatriot and De Mevius.

Spain had some quick guys too.
Old 14 Jan 2020, 10:13 (Ref:3951535)   #27
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul Lietaer was another quick Belgian,I did see him win a Tour Of Flanders in the 90's.
Old 14 Jan 2020, 23:04 (Ref:3951648)   #28
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Paul Lietaer was another quick Belgian,I did see him win a Tour Of Flanders in the 90's.
He was regarded as the next Coulsoul or Sniyers in the mid 80's iirc? but it never seemed to work out.
Suspect he got overtakeen by the likes of de Mevius and Thiiry in terms of recognition
Old 15 Jan 2020, 14:05 (Ref:3951768)   #29
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thiry was the best of them in my eyes, now surpassed by Neuville I think. Loix also, but he never did much after 98, clearly did not suit the Lancer he basically paid for with fag money.

Another quick man from Belgium was Renauld Verrydt, some others David Loix, Pascal Gaban, Marc Timmers, Bernard Munster, Peter Tsjoen, all guys who could win rallies out there, but none really a patch on Loix or Thiry, Freddy was still winning Belgian titles a few years ago!!

Shocked the Dutch have never really had a challenger either, perhaps John Bosch, the vd Heuvel family? Think they had a son doing a few years in WRC in a Fiesta recently Kuipers? Looked damned quick to me.
Old 24 Jan 2020, 07:02 (Ref:3953067)   #30
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will throw another couple of names in to the mix: Irish driver, Billy Coleman and Frenchman, Bernard Darniche.
Old 25 Jan 2020, 11:12 (Ref:3953277)   #31
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darniche was also damn fine on gravel, especially in the Stratos.

Another I am shocked to miss out is Bernard Beguin, he drive some great cars including the BMW M1 on asphalt!
Old 27 Jan 2020, 22:59 (Ref:3954119)   #32
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
Darniche was also damn fine on gravel, especially in the Stratos.

Another I am shocked to miss out is Bernard Beguin, he drive some great cars including the BMW M1 on asphalt!
Beguin has already been mentioned, no worries on that score 😉