Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 18 Dec 2003, 09:25 (Ref:814919)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Further rule changes announced

More rule changes seem to be in the works - ESPN reports;

Quote:
League announces rule changes for '04

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indy Racing League IndyCar Series announced several rules changes Wednesday, including the elimination of private testing.

The new rules goes into effect on January 1, 2004.

The IRL, which has sanctioned open tests since the fall of 1995, will oversee tests at Homestead-Miami Speedway in January, Phoenix Raceway in February and at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Milwaukee Mile.

IRL rookie tests, typically done during private test sessions, will be conducted at the discretion of IRL officals.

"Limiting testing to open tests and manufacturer tests will level the playing field, ensuring that each team has an equal opportunity to test during the year," said Brian Barnhart, senior vice president of racing operations for IRL.

Other changes for the upcoming season, which begins on February 29, include engine changes on races weekends, engine manufacturer testing rules, fuel tank reduction and the use of backup cars on race weekends.

"Our drivers, teams and manufacturers have been very cooperative with our rule changes for 2004," Barnhart said. "We feel these changes will control costs, level the playing field and keep IndyCar Series racing ultra competitive."

For race weekends that are two days long, teams will be required to use the same engine for practice, qualifying and the race. On weekends that are three days long, teams may change engines prior to qualifying, but then must participate in qualifying, final practice and the race with the same engine.

Should teams be required to change engines after qualifying, they will start the race from rear of the field. NASCAR currently uses a similar rule.

The fuel tank on cars also will be reduced from 35 to 30 gallons.

In addition, there will be a limit of five laps for a backup or "T" car on race weekends, unless the primary car is damaged in an accident.

This one-engine-per-weekend trend seems to be spreading. Not sure if CART currently uses the same format, but NASCAR does and Formula 1 will as well beginning with next season.

Overall I think the changes are pretty good - should cut some costs if nothing else.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 10:41 (Ref:814965)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The main problem is, these changes should had been announced ages ago.
At this stage the cars are ready-to-go , and it's not good to modify them in a very short time; also they should consuder that chassis and engine manufacturers may have invested strongly for upgraidng kits that have become rubbish all of a sudden.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 13:54 (Ref:815145)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree climb, F1 has shown that cars that are put in parc ferme immediately after qualifying, have no more reliability or mechanical failures than when the mechanics basically used to rebuild the whole car after qualifying.

It should save some money, plus it gives the crew a well-deserved night off!

I wouldn't get rid of those upgrade kits just yet, they may still be needed!

Danica Patrick
Old 18 Dec 2003, 14:20 (Ref:815173)   #4
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The upgrade kits will most certainly be needed yes (or at least partially) - keep in mind what was included in the recent confirmation announced regarding the engine and chassis changes. From the announcement;

Quote:
In July 2003, IRL officials alerted all manufacturers to prepare for the possibility of road-course racing in the future. For 2004, cars will be equipped with update kits that include road-course radiators and sidepods, which will increase drag on the cars, producing slower speeds.
So even though they won't race on the road courses in 2004, they will still (I reckon partially anyway) use the kits

Last edited by rustyfan; 18 Dec 2003 at 14:21.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 14:58 (Ref:815238)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes but apparently a good part of those kit component have been banned

Last edited by climb; 18 Dec 2003 at 14:58.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 15:19 (Ref:815279)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know if it is related, but there use to be large differences in HP in F1. When they brought in the one engine rule the power difference in the cars seemed to decrease. Perhaps GM will be able to make their own engine now.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 15:26 (Ref:815287)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which part of the kits are banned and why?

Danica Patrick
Old 18 Dec 2003, 15:41 (Ref:815301)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Many aero carbon parts (turning vanes, tyre ramps etc)
Old 18 Dec 2003, 16:03 (Ref:815326)   #9
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like a quick-n-dirty way to reduce costs, which is good. You have to wonder about the timing, though. Doesn't it seem to be very close to the beginning of the season to be making these changes? How happy are the chassis and engine manufacturers?

In relation to the one-engine-per-weekend rule, I think the current Cosworth turbo engine used in CART lasts for several weekends. Very impressive.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 16:32 (Ref:815348)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally posted by Testure
Seems like a quick-n-dirty way to reduce costs, which is good. You have to wonder about the timing, though. Doesn't it seem to be very close to the beginning of the season to be making these changes? How happy are the chassis and engine manufacturers?
This is right the point!
IMO they aren't happy at all about the timing
Old 19 Dec 2003, 06:43 (Ref:815796)   #11
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hahaha imagine the "Anti-drafting" vanes on the rearwings - that would suck!