Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 7 Oct 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1426589)   #1
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eurocars owners

Following on from the previous Eurocar Thread, who knows of some one, anyone who has got an V6 Eurocar but isnt using it for whatever reason.
I trying to get an idea of how many of these are still about and if the owners want to race them again.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 00:08 (Ref:1426883)   #2
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Mark at Saxon Motorsport at Cranbrook, had a Eurocar V6 sitting in the workshop last year. The engine had been rebuilt and the car was ready to be painted.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1427067)   #3
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
ok thats one.
There must be load laying about.
Who runs the VSR series?
Old 8 Oct 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1427071)   #4
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424
ok thats one.
There must be load laying about.
Who runs the VSR series?
It was the BRSCC but like a lot of other good series they killed it
Old 8 Oct 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1427146)   #5
EUROCARS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
EUROCARS has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's very nice to see a EUROCAR thread opened. I believe the V6's could be born again with little problem.

I believe Mark Proctor still has his V6.

Steve Offer still has his V6
Old 8 Oct 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1427342)   #6
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Well I would like to see eurocars born again and thats why im trying to see how many we can find.
You are correct about Mark proctor but i think he is trying to sell it.
I dont know anything about Steve Offer.
Can you help me with this Mr EUROCAR?
Anyone who is willing to help me with this get in touch.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1427644)   #7
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of the Eurocars ended up modified to be VSR's which became Super Silhouettes, and that's history. Just another series running on the road courses.

There was a lot of talk about resurrecting Eurocars to be a feeder step up from Pickups to SCSA. Personally, I think what needs to happen is SCSA needs to grow at least 10 more cars, maybe 20.

To achieve this will take a number of factors.

1. The racing needs to be closer (ie: the tail-end cars need to be quicker, to match the front runners)
2. The cars need to be cheaper to run - the current sealed Chevy LS1/6 engine is too expensive. They need to run on GM-ZZ383/425 crate motors, which can be factory sealed, and cost peanuts ($4795 - $ vs £ is around 1.77 at the moment = £2709, OK, plus duties, still works out better than £17000 for a leased engine!)
3. The British public needs to be dazzled by it's spectacle, to the point where the mass media acknowledge it, and publicise it.

Taking it to the road courses will do one of two things.....

Help achieve point (3) sooner,

or

Kill it, due to the excess costs of converting (running new chassis!) the cars for road course use.

Eurocars have no further place in the UK. You could argue that it created the machine that has become SCSA/Pickups, etc.. but it's done, gone, and shall be remembered for it's close racing at places like the Mallory Mile, and Lydden. Didn't they ever go on any of the short ovals like Brafield?

As was mentioned above, it became V-Sports, and then got killed by the BRSCC who have a habit of taking a series with 100 plus active competitors and turning it into a farce where half a dozen turning up is a good turnout.

Rob.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 21:34 (Ref:1427655)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was dead before it became V Sports in my view. The decline came quite quickly after the introduction of the V8s.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1427659)   #9
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
It was dead before it became V Sports in my view. The decline came quite quickly after the introduction of the V8s.
When I was invovled in a Formula First team in late 90's Eurocars were doing well then the BRSCC took it over from SHP and then the rot set in. The only problem with the Eurocars was the BRSCC
Old 8 Oct 2005, 22:38 (Ref:1427694)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Please be very careful what you write here! As I understand it there was acollaboration between Sunny Howard and the BRSCC and if you have a look at the BRSCC accounts for the years following you will see several 'provisions' made! Lets not get into a discussion that could cause ten-tenths to end up in a court room please.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 06:56 (Ref:1427857)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Surely 10/10ths are not responsible for poster's views Stephen, what happened to freedom of speech?
Old 9 Oct 2005, 07:23 (Ref:1427883)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Nothing Al, I just don't want us to get embroiled in an in depth discussion over what happened between Sonny and the BRSCC.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1428526)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Fair comment.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1428739)   #14
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be fair to the BRSCC I think they put in the funds needed and supported it well but other individuals (I think) bought there way into the series to manage or "oversee" in a way they thought fit, akin to the way the old TOCA days were run ie: very regimental and all sorts of new rules and regs for the teams etc...and also for the media that were covering it. I remember well signing on to cover an event for a weekly mag and we had to do this and couldnt do that as the new series owner had all sorts of rediculous rights on the series (I cant remember the names involved)-it was the begining of the end as it soon began to upset people/top teams...I feel sure the BRSCC were upset with the way things went and may have been unable to do anything about it as their hands were tied on the subject possibly. I think the BRSCC should pat themselves on the back by having introducing one of the 90's bigger success stories-just a great shame it ended the way it did.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1428788)   #15
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The eurocars were and still are awesome the racing was always close the the sound of the v6 engine was a very pleasant to the ears,i saw them with the super silhouets last year even then you could pick out the snarling whine.
To see more of them out would be tremendous i for one would be glad to see the mighty V6 back at its best
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1429512)   #16
EUROCARS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Another reduction in cars from what I saw was when they told the drivers the body's HAD to be updated to the new Mondeo Style.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1429969)   #17
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Nice to see alot of peoples views on this.
EUROCARS and myself are busying ourselfs with tracking cars and ive already had an ok from a club willing to run them.
Dont get me wrong, Im not trying to bring them back to all there glory because that would be very hard but i thnk there is room for these club level.
Watch this space.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1430034)   #18
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of the V6 Eurocars ended up in Super Rods on the ovals.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 20:33 (Ref:1430044)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Bet there ain't much left of them then!

With respect is it worth trying to resurrect yet another old redundant manufacturer backed championship however good it was in its day, I thought the idea was to cut back on championships. What was that record about a dead head sticker on a Cadillac?
Old 17 Oct 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1435854)   #20
EUROCARS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Hi, I made a little EUROCAR clip thought some of you may like to see.

http://burnettmotorsport.tripod.com/eurocars.wmv
Old 17 Oct 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1435858)   #21
EUROCARS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Hi, I made a little EUROCAR clip thought some of you may like to see.

YOU HAVE TO COPY AND PASTE THE LINK INTO YOUR BROWSER.

http://burnettmotorsport.tripod.com/eurocars.wmv
Old 17 Oct 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1435859)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Hmmm it wont download.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 11:20 (Ref:1435873)   #23
EUROCARS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Should be ok i you copy and paste it Stephen

Hope you like it, I like the Paul Eaton clip, alithough at the time, was a little scary watching it. I remember as it was my first trip to Mallory with my dad. I asked if anyone had ever gone in the lake.

From then on I keep quiet when I go to race meetings lol.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1435928)   #24
rijkthebike
Rookie

rijkthebike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it would be great to see these cars run again.

a charles newton ran a V6 Eurocar in the K&N Filters Sports/Saloons up at Oulton in a couple of rounds this season.
I think there are also a number of cars that are used for hire and drive on track days.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 15:05 (Ref:1436064)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Linked worked good for me, nice film, well done.

I think the problem with these cars is they are not old enough to appeal as historical and not new enough the be seen as cutting edge. They are of a body shape that is now associated with a 100 quid banger and I think will be hard pressed to inspire public imagination as they just look a bit dated but in the mid 90's jelly mould frame. I think if they were to stand a better chance of a rivival then some enterprising person should produce some late model panels to spice them up a bit. Just my opinion of course and nothing wrong at all with the concept.