Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Jun 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2485055)   #1
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silly Hats. Good idea/Bad idea?

As the title suggests, after the comments made in the BTCC Oulton thread I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to the subject. It seems the powers that be are clamping down on our use of said hats in an attempt to make us appear more "professional". We are all voluteers and as such accept the saftey and protection of ourselves by wearing the relevant gear but headwear has never been an issue until now, so whats changed?
Old 17 Jun 2009, 09:01 (Ref:2485061)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I can't seem to find the BTCC Oulton thread (probably looking with my eyes shut - I'm only on my first coffee) so not sure precisely what kicked this off, but see comments below.

I guess the answer is "it depends". While we are volunteers, we are providing a safety service - one on which lives may potentially depend. That does require a certain level of perceived professionalism and as such, silly hats may be an issue.

It's more an issue of confidence - both of the driver and the general public. Marshals in orange proban, with batbelts, baseball caps, gloves and boots give an impression of a uniform trained group. Marshals in silly hats with hunting knives the size of Wales hanging off their belts...not so much. That's no reflection on the marshal in question's capabilities - it's just a perception issue.

Look at it this way - if you're upside down in a gravel trap, dazed, confused and probably in pain, would you be more comforted by the sight of a baseball cap on the head of the person who is trying to keep you calm and provide c-spine control, or by the sight of a jester's cap with bells on?

There are other issues with hats as well, depending on what they are. For instance, I was flagging the A1GP and was deemed a Judge of Fact for the purposes of the meeting. Had I been wearing a green leprechaun hat and had to provide a judgement on an incident involving the Ireland team, that could very easily have led to a protest on the grounds of obvious bias.

I would say that if you want to wear a silly hat, go ahead - but only while you're not attending an incident. If you have to go to something, lose the hat.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 09:21 (Ref:2485076)   #3
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know our gaffer at knockhill has banned them, baseball caps and ordinary bunnets only. makes sense i guess
Old 17 Jun 2009, 09:25 (Ref:2485078)   #4
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
I would say that if you want to wear a silly hat, go ahead - but only while you're not attending an incident. If you have to go to something, lose the hat.

Well said!! An excellant piece of advice.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2485084)   #5
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I totaly accept the view that if you need to go to an incident lose the hat, heaven knows I've had my Aussie hat blow off in the wind and its very embarrasing having to chase after it!

So it seems that during a race wear sensible hats, baseball caps and the like but I only wore mine during the "down" times anyway as to not cause a distraction.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 09:50 (Ref:2485088)   #6
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree they should be worn in down time only

But what about assembly?
Old 17 Jun 2009, 10:14 (Ref:2485100)   #7
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
but I only wore mine during the "down" times anyway as to not cause a distraction.
Don't beat yourself up about it too much Justin. As you've said, and I think I've only seen you with it on "off-duty", it's for the fun/social side of our hobby!
The littl'uns in the crowd like it, the same as Gravel Monkey's mask (or is it? ) and the drivers like the humour of it too.

Let common sense prevail I say.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2485104)   #8
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Remember on things like the F1 Gp this year Hats are provided and must be worn...
Old 17 Jun 2009, 10:27 (Ref:2485105)   #9
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My wife thinks all my hats are daft! Seriously though, I think Evilpumpkin has got it right-during downtime there's no problems but keep it professional during sessions, especially when attending incidents. I remember seeing a group of marshals from Scotland wearing those tartan caps with ginger hair-very funny but don't think (for example) Gordon Sheddon would see the funny side if he had just binned it!
Old 17 Jun 2009, 10:29 (Ref:2485106)   #10
mmm_five
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
mmm_five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it's sunny then I wear my 'French Foreign Legion' hat, but as this blows off on the 'brisk walk' to the incident then it's not stopping me doing my job, or giving the driver the wrong impression.

After the indicent in over and the rescue/medical crew are around, I can reclaim the hat from the gravel (or mud as it was at the Anglesey 750MC).

Even I think the hat looks silly, but I've not seen a better solution than the hat and factor 50 for my delicate skin.

Which of these hats would be considered 'silly' - or are we solely talking about 'novelty' items?
Old 17 Jun 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2485112)   #11
andyrjt1
Rookie

Scotland
gloucestershire
andyrjt1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one have quite often bought a job lot of "daft hats" from e-bay prior to a BIG meeting and dished them out to all on post to wear for the stewards/clerk of the course track inspection. It helps to break the ice so to speak if the post has people who have never met before, fosters the team spirit and makes people laugh first thing on a dull grey rainy morning, however when the track goes live the sensible caps and heads go on and we do what we do best, marshal professionally!!
Old 17 Jun 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2485119)   #12
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
As I said in another thread
I said he could wear the hat to add colour to the event, but he was told (politely) that he should take it off if he had to go to an incident. (It's an awful lot of floppy inflammable polyester to wear on yer head if the car goes woomf).

Of course when the incident happens...he becomes famous. (and slightly apologetic to his post chief)

I have said the same to the Scottish lads, but experience is teaching me that when the incident happens, the hat is'nt coming off, so I'll probably be changing my rules to "no silly hats when cars on track"

Years ago at an F1 event I was due to be paired up with a marshal that wanted to wear the most ridiculously massive silly hat. (not just silly, but 2 feet high silly & not really funny!) I told the Observer that I would be asking for a transfer to another post if I had be seen on live worldwide TV standing with a a **** like that.
He did'nt wear the hat.

Small humourous statements OK
"Look at me" stuff not professional.

PS even I have been guilty of silly hatitis
Old 17 Jun 2009, 11:04 (Ref:2485120)   #13
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
another thought
during the height of BTCC during the late 80s? we were told not to wear anything that would show allegiance to a particular manufacturer.
I remember one lad getting sent off post to wash off the Audi paint scheme that he'd got done on his face
Old 17 Jun 2009, 11:17 (Ref:2485123)   #14
mmm_five
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
mmm_five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If 'they' want to pay for our uniforms, then I've got no problem keeping to some rules. However, as we supply our own gear, then we've got a right to 'customise' it a little - albeit not stupidly.

Novelty hats and shoes/gloves/overalls that do not comply with PPE rules should be banned from 'active' posts.

Showing your allegiance to specific brands/manufacturers/clubs/series is out of bounds
Old 17 Jun 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2485124)   #15
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happens if your hair being covered up by the silly hat is sillier than the hat itself?
:-)
Old 17 Jun 2009, 11:26 (Ref:2485129)   #16
Middle_BBG
Racer

Middle_BBG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wear a bandana, have done for the last 15 years and will continue to do so. I also have patches on my overalls - are those the next to be questioned ?
Old 17 Jun 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2485130)   #17
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm_five View Post
If it's sunny then I wear my 'French Foreign Legion' hat, but as this blows off on the 'brisk walk' to the incident then it's not stopping me doing my job, or giving the driver the wrong impression.

After the indicent in over and the rescue/medical crew are around, I can reclaim the hat from the gravel (or mud as it was at the Anglesey 750MC).

Even I think the hat looks silly, but I've not seen a better solution than the hat and factor 50 for my delicate skin.
I wear a wide brimmed hat with a chin strap to keep it on (almost always anyway) in windy conditions. Given my generous heap of hair, I've yet to find a baseball cap which is deep enough to stay put on my spring loaded brillo pad

Whilst not undermining our professionalism, a bit of light heartedness can build a good team spirit. If there's a disagreement between a Post Chief & the troops over headwear, then I doubt the mood will make for a good day and one or other side might not be keen to come back. Maybe if it's just down to differing attitudes each side needs to ask (nicely) to be allocated to either a silly or non-silly hat post next time.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2485132)   #18
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have to agree with whats been said, down time, our time, race time cars on circuit profesional.
in all honesty i couldnt wear the monkey mask during a race as i cant see a bloody thing out of it, hence the reason i fell over many things at the btcc meeting messing about on the sunday before the racing started.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 11:31 (Ref:2485134)   #19
Knockhill Nugget
Rookie

Scotland
falkirk
Knockhill Nugget should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybirch View Post
What happens if your hair being covered up by the silly hat is sillier than the hat itself?
:-)
ive had that problem. id left the hat in the car and over the course of the day my hair turned into some sort of afro. i never leave the hat behind again.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2485158)   #20
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On televised events, where most people tend to want to wear something a little different, when we are off post or waiting for the next session i can't see too much of an issue. Hell, for an F1 inspection a few years back we had a full picnic area setup at the side of the track, some silly hats and masks included, and it went down with a smile and giggle from the clerks as they passed.

BUT some areas are a little more difficult to determine when you are on / off post. Pits, paddock and assembly are key examples. Fire is just (if not more so) a hazard in those areas as it is trackside so i think people should air on the side of caution when choosing their attire.

I have seen people get carried away with the "having fun and generating team spirit" side of this too, and the larking about spilled out on to a live track. Its when things like that happen you'll get the knee jerk reaction of "all fun is banned" and we'll be far worse off.

You can have a cracking time on post without the overt need to wear a daft hat. I saw some of the smiles that the kids had when they saw the monkey mask and it showed there is a time and place for that kind of thing, but to ensure we can continue having fun that way we have to be careful not to allow it to cross over in to our "job".
Old 17 Jun 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2485160)   #21
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm_five View Post
Novelty hats and shoes/gloves/overalls that do not comply with PPE rules should be banned from 'active' posts.
Are they going to pay for them to be PPE compliant then?

How can you ask people to be PPE compliant if there are no proceedures or guidance issued and if PPE of a certain standard needs to be worn then it should be provided
Old 17 Jun 2009, 12:13 (Ref:2485162)   #22
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportgirli View Post
Are they going to pay for them to be PPE compliant then?

How can you ask people to be PPE compliant if there are no proceedures or guidance issued and if PPE of a certain standard needs to be worn then it should be provided
If we were employed, yes. But we are not, we are volunteers so therefore its our responsibility to ensure we are adequately equipped to ensure our own safety, that includes footwear, wet weather gear, suncream etc.

Rule #1 - look after yourself
Old 17 Jun 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2485182)   #23
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
If we were employed, yes. But we are not, we are volunteers so therefore its our responsibility to ensure we are adequately equipped to ensure our own safety, that includes footwear, wet weather gear, suncream etc.

Rule #1 - look after yourself
As you said adequately equipped, they cannot ask you to have gear to a certain standard therefore, thats the point im trying to make

I have no issues i make sure I have good boots, gloves etc and im sure most people are the same but i feel that some people go overboard saying it all should comply with this that and the other. What is the issue if you have decent gloves, boots etc which give you protection but may not be compliant under the PPE regs?

MMMM interesting ....sad as i am I just rang the HSE

If the organisation you volunteer for has 1 paid employee (which i assume BARC does) then if you are a volunteer for this organisation you are still classed as a worker and come under the HASAW act and i quote part of this is :

Give you the right tools
and clothes to help keep
you safe. They must
also make sure the tools
and clothes are in good
condition.

Im sure there is probably a loophole in terms of marshaling but its a slow day at work and i wondered where we stood!

Last edited by Motorsportgirli; 17 Jun 2009 at 12:58. Reason: being a saddo and ringing the hse
Old 17 Jun 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2485197)   #24
Dunc
Rookie

Scotland
Methil, Fife
Dunc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockhill Nugget View Post
ive had that problem. id left the hat in the car and over the course of the day my hair turned into some sort of afro. i never leave the hat behind again.
Never mind nugget I can give you a hair cut on the 28th problem solved. I don't mind the silly hats when off post or track is not live but when track is live it is down to business.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2485199)   #25
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportgirli View Post
MMMM interesting ....sad as i am I just rang the HSE
Noooooooooooooooo! Dont stir those muppets up. Theyll have us standing inside 10 foot thick walls of ferro concrete watching for incidents via CCTV and having to wear fully enclosed flame retardant suits with full Closed Circuit breathing - just to go near a recently run car.