Old 27 Feb 2014, 22:18 (Ref:3372938)   #1
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Social media and marshals

Hi all,
got talking about this topic with a few other marshals and wondered were we stand on comments and social media. i know we all have to be careful what we put and how it is worded with any aspect of social media but as volunteers and with some of the things we see, do and experience does anyone know what clubs,drivers, circuit owners etc would see as crossing a line, even if it was a harmless comment in your own view.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 23:33 (Ref:3372961)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The MSA Social Media Guidelines (on their website) apply to us too.

I've been variously a forum or mailing list admin since the late 90s. My personal stand is if I wouldn't say something to someone's face in a pub, I don't put it online.

I do however think that the immediacy of Tenths, Twitter, FB and friends can be a problem. When we're dealing with or otherwise exposed to serious incidents, it's easy to make comments online but far easier to forget that the people involved in the incidents plus their friends & families could be reading.

I believe we should apply the rules we apply at circuits - if a member of the public asks, we don't know. If a driver asks about an incident then we either don't know or offer facts rather than opinions.

Being able to take that mental step back before posting something online can be hard, but it's worth it in the long run.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 23:40 (Ref:3372963)   #3
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man (which I am!), I would suggest that 'if you can't say something good, it's best to say nothing at all'.
However, I always post in social media under my own name (my choice) and stand by any comments I might make, in a court of law if necessary.
Maybe I'm out of step with the social media thing and I won't use the 'twittersphere' ... I've seen the damage it causes.
This reply probably doesn't really answer your question and I apologise but I think that social media is a great step in freedom of speech, which is in danger of killing itself by its' irresponsibility.
In any case the MSA publishes good guidelines on the use of social media.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 05:07 (Ref:3373011)   #4
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I wish more people would share their opinions out in the open.

I'm new to this whole marshalling business, but having recently been on the receiving end of some secret criticism that other people had of me, I would have much rather heard it out in the open so I can do something about it rather than having to investigate to see why I'm being prevented from participating in the events I want to participate in.

As for social media and event organizers: in my opinion pretty much all of them can use any exposure they can get, so any public opinions should be welcome to promote the sport.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 08:27 (Ref:3373054)   #5
ron1902
Racer

England
england
ron1902 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have always found if in doubt keep shtum
Old 28 Feb 2014, 09:22 (Ref:3373078)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For once I find myself at variance with you John. There are times when things benefit from the sort of exposure which use of social media can give.

I think Greem's approach is essentially the right one. But we must remember that what we might say to a friend in a pub comes with expectations of legitimate privacy and limited audience. So an additional helping of discretion is often wise.

I'm not sure that I regard myself as bound by the MSA's rules except when acting for them or on their behalf.

(Not that I always follow my own rules, you understand )

Regards

Jim
Old 28 Feb 2014, 12:51 (Ref:3373155)   #7
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel_monkey View Post
Hi all,
got talking about this topic with a few other marshals and wondered were we stand on comments and social media. i know we all have to be careful what we put and how it is worded with any aspect of social media but as volunteers and with some of the things we see, do and experience does anyone know what clubs,drivers, circuit owners etc would see as crossing a line, even if it was a harmless comment in your own view.
The rule I use for myself, is that anything which can be seen by spectators in public areas, I am free to mention, just as they are - e.g. driver x crashed into the Armco hard, and was taken away in a rescue unit.
Things which are not available to the public, such as a driver telling me he is suffering from back pain, or anyone else telling me that, for that matter, are off limits (unless, for example, later published through 'proper' channels).
Also, be careful about "confirming" things which might be speculation - e.g. if it can be seen that a driver was lying on a strecher with his eyes closed doesn't necessarily mean the driver was unconscious, seriously hurt, in a coma, etc... - even if you *did* hear a doctor say he's unconscious, that part is unavailable to the public, so don't confirm it.

To reiterate, only discuss that which is available to the public at large, either through what they could see, or what they heard via official channels.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 13:34 (Ref:3373174)   #8
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many of the msa publications are clunky, unwieldy lumps of hot air but their guidelines on the use of social media are a work of art and simplicity. A copy can be found here: http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/p...Guidelines.pdf
Old 1 Mar 2014, 22:38 (Ref:3373798)   #9
colincragg
Rookie

England
Melton Mowbray
colincragg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as a Post Chief I always say as part of my breifings that in event of an incident, if a spectators asks what happened or how is the driver I tell my marshals to be careful what they say,

eg say nothing about what happened or driver has been taken to med centre for assessement.

If a driver asks refer them to race control or Clerk of Course.

If the press asks refer them to Press office..
Old 2 Mar 2014, 12:41 (Ref:3374014)   #10
socko
Rookie

England
socko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This brings up a question that's been rattling around my head, as marshals and especially when voicing it on social media are we meant to be impartial?

I understand that when on circuit we are, but when on our own Facebook/Twitter is it ok to say I really don't like the blue car and hope he losses as I'm a red car fan?

The reason I ask as I was pulled up on it a while ago when voicing my own preferences online, by what I classed as a senior marshal.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 14:55 (Ref:3374035)   #11
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socko View Post
This brings up a question that's been rattling around my head, as marshals and especially when voicing it on social media are we meant to be impartial?

I understand that when on circuit we are, but when on our own Facebook/Twitter is it ok to say I really don't like the blue car and hope he losses as I'm a red car fan?

The reason I ask as I was pulled up on it a while ago when voicing my own preferences online, by what I classed as a senior marshal.
For my money, you are entirely entitled to express personal views. Better if they are in a context which allows of no doubt that any driver would get equal treatment from you.

Jim
Old 2 Mar 2014, 15:56 (Ref:3374045)   #12
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
yellowspanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Free speech is allowed but if you express opinions you may have to justify some of your decisions as you can bet that a clever team manager will search you out if your report has his driver up before an investigation. If you've expressed negative feelings towards that driver (and they are recorded on social media) it may be used against you.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 18:19 (Ref:3374074)   #13
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Free speech is one thing, but spouting off about injuries a driver may have got etc is no no.