Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Nov 2017, 06:15 (Ref:3778729)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[VASC17R25R26] Coates Hire Newcastle 500:24-26 Nov

And this is it.
The final races of the series.
A brand new street circuit.
Somewhere nobody has raced before.
No data.
No simulation.
No muscle memory.

First drive will be Friday.

26 cars.

One race track.

5 driver's championship contenders. 2 team championship contenders.

26 pilots trying for the first win at the new track.

Will the Holden mafia and the Ford collectives hold ranks and help the titleists?

And who knows what might happen.....

Newcastle... is Go!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Nov 2017, 06:20 (Ref:3778730)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Will the Holden mafia and the Ford collectives hold ranks and help the titleists?

Newcastle... is Go!!
Didnt seem to work that way this weekend. seemed to be a bit of friendly fire, esepcially in the Ford camp

Newcastle might be different. Now that PRA are really out of hunt
Old 5 Nov 2017, 06:23 (Ref:3778733)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wondered though... whether 888 might be inspired to enter a 3rd Commodore into a somewhat transient grid slot... to give them 3 cars at the top of the tree to play with...
Old 5 Nov 2017, 20:49 (Ref:3778889)   #4
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The event consists of two 95-lap races over a 2.65-km/1.65-mi, 14-turn street circuit to give 500 km overall.

Despite it being a street circuit, only four of the 14 turns appear to be conventional, 90-degree intersection turns (Turns 2 and 7-9). At least from what I've seen so far, Turn 1 is less than 90 degrees, and has a more radiused inner margin, so it should be quicker than might be expected.

There's a great esses section from Turns 3-6, which kind of reminds me of the esses at San Antonio when IMSA ran the course there counterclockwise in 1989-90. You also get a few nice sweeping corners at Turns 10-11 and 14. Those bends on the run from Turn 9 to the T12 hairpin sort of remind me of the back stretch at the CART circuit in Denver (2002-06).

Hopefully, they position the cameras such that we get at least some appreciation for the climb from Turn 1 to T2, and then the descent through the esses, as this track has some marked elevation changes.

Finally, over the course of a lap, it looks like there are three good overtaking points, at Turns 1, 2, and 12. Also, I could see things happening in the rhythm sections that stretch from the exit of Turn 2 to the exit of T9.

It'll be a fast course, especially for a street circuit. Honestly, I'd kind of like to see Indy Cars or LMPs have a go here. It looks like fun, and with real scope for racing as well.

Here's that recent flyover video again to get a preliminary look at the track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D6R...ature=youtu.be
Old 5 Nov 2017, 20:51 (Ref:3778891)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
cheers purist.

Any analysis on where i should aim to sit as a spectator
Old 5 Nov 2017, 23:06 (Ref:3778905)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
In general terms, if you can find a good view of the esses, that would be a visually spectacular spot, even if there isn't as much overtaking right there.

Something on the approach to the Turn 12 hairpin, or on the inside of the loop, where you might have a view of cars both before and after going through the hairpin.

The exit of Turn 13 could be fun, seeing how well guys get on the power at the top of the front stretch and then swing through the bend at T14 before the pits.

The final main spot would seem to be the approach to Turn T1.

It's hard to say in specific terms, as I'm not sure exactly what's there now, and what's actually already sold out. There was the one main map I found on the event website, but I don't know how up to date it is.

For the sake of access and ease of movement, I hope they've added a fourth bridge to the plan, crossing the track at the first or second intersection following Turn 9.

It would also be good if they have a screen or two in that parkland area on the infield side of Turn 6.
Old 5 Nov 2017, 23:40 (Ref:3778906)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
In general terms, if you can find a good view of the esses, that would be a visually spectacular spot, even if there isn't as much overtaking right there.

Something on the approach to the Turn 12 hairpin, or on the inside of the loop, where you might have a view of cars both before and after going through the hairpin.

The exit of Turn 13 could be fun, seeing how well guys get on the power at the top of the front stretch and then swing through the bend at T14 before the pits.

The final main spot would seem to be the approach to Turn T1.

It's hard to say in specific terms, as I'm not sure exactly what's there now, and what's actually already sold out. There was the one main map I found on the event website, but I don't know how up to date it is.

For the sake of access and ease of movement, I hope they've added a fourth bridge to the plan, crossing the track at the first or second intersection following Turn 9.

It would also be good if they have a screen or two in that parkland area on the infield side of Turn 6.
cheers, thanks for the tips
Old 6 Nov 2017, 06:27 (Ref:3778948)   #8
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Driven (part) lap here: Newcastle lap

Good luck to anyone with GA tickets.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 07:59 (Ref:3778955)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Driven (part) lap here: Newcastle lap

Good luck to anyone with GA tickets.
Far out...

The mellifluous V8 powerplants will rock Newcastle!

Presumably Corporate is over the pitlane?
Old 6 Nov 2017, 08:14 (Ref:3778957)   #10
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Presumably Corporate is over the pitlane?
Isnt it always?

Turn 2 might be a decent spot, seems you can sit 'above' the corner.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3778961)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Isnt it always?

Turn 2 might be a decent spot, seems you can sit 'above' the corner.
No.. never at Queensland Raceway.. the carports couldn’t handle it
Old 6 Nov 2017, 22:54 (Ref:3779114)   #12
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
No simulation.
From the simulated laps I have seen, Newcastle is a real challenge.

The game will definitely be on!
Old 7 Nov 2017, 08:03 (Ref:3779184)   #13
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So , take a truck load of spare panels, for Friday Practice and Saturday rebuild overnight.

New concrete jungle to catch a few out.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 08:05 (Ref:3779185)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Still spaces left apparently... time to get on the blower to Mr Wayne Russell to secure your spot...
Old 7 Nov 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3779196)   #15
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They're having a go.

What does the parent team do for it's fanbase, exactly?
Old 8 Nov 2017, 08:30 (Ref:3779410)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Story Here
Old 10 Nov 2017, 05:02 (Ref:3779741)   #17
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track looks good.
http://www.supercars.com/news/champi...?sf158709505=1
Old 13 Nov 2017, 07:16 (Ref:3780146)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Whincup Likes Track...
Old 13 Nov 2017, 07:20 (Ref:3780149)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Around The Newcastle Track.. With Aaren Russell
Old 14 Nov 2017, 04:35 (Ref:3780333)   #20
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JDub for the title !!!!!
Old 14 Nov 2017, 22:25 (Ref:3780483)   #21
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
JDub for the title !!!!!
Hopefully not but I think that it is most probable
Old 16 Nov 2017, 21:39 (Ref:3780850)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
long term forecast is for mid 20s and showers on both race days.

at least its not going to be stinking hot
Old 16 Nov 2017, 23:02 (Ref:3780862)   #23
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
long term forecast is for mid 20s and showers on both race days.

at least its not going to be stinking hot
Peckstar, don't get sucked in by long term forecasts.

I ran a test at work on predictive modelling and long term weather forecasts in this part of the world are almost completely without value.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 23:10 (Ref:3780865)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Peckstar, don't get sucked in by long term forecasts.

I ran a test at work on predictive modelling and long term weather forecasts in this part of the world are almost completely without value.
100% agree.

Did something similar for Melbourne cup day this year, the amount of fluctuation was amazing from the BOM over 7 days
Old 17 Nov 2017, 02:39 (Ref:3780875)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Its orange...

Story Here