Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Jan 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1198741)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
PMM & The Hours of Power

Released from Racenews, V8Supercar etc...

ALAN DRAPER TO DEVELOP PAUL MORRIS MOTORSPORTS ENGINES

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 12: Alan Draper, one of the most experienced and successful engine technicians in Australian touring car racing, has joined Paul Morris Motorsports for its 2005 V8 Supercar Championship campaign.

Brisbane-based Draper commenced work at PMM's Gold Coast premises on January 4 and will oversee engine development for the new Sirromet Wines VZ Commodore currently being built for Morris to drive in the championship.

Draper previously worked for Dick Johnson Racing from 1987 to 1999, and during that time the team won three championship titles - by Dick Johnson in Ford Sierras in 1988 and 1989, and John Bowe in 1995 in a Ford Falcon. Johnson and Bowe also won the Bathurst 1000 twice while Draper was with DJR, firstly in 1989 in a Sierra, and in 1994 in a Falcon.

After leaving DJR, Draper worked in V8 Supercars for CAT Racing and Briggs Motorsport, and then Team Dynamik in 2003 and 2004.

Morris said securing Draper's services was a crucial step forward in PMM's aims for improved performance on the race track, and also in the team's expanding V8 Supercar designing and manufacturing business.

PMM is also building a VZ Commodore for Team Kiwi Racing driver Paul Radisich to contest the 2005 championship as part of a technical partnership with TKR, which includes them relocating from Melbourne to be based in PMM's facilities at the Holden Performance Driving Centre.

"Alan (Draper) is one of the best and most experienced engine builders around, and his record speaks for itself in terms of winning championships and Bathurst," said Morris.

"The timing for Alan joining us is perfect because our team will have a much bigger workload this year, especially with the Team Kiwi situation. We could have as many as seven engines on the 'go' either in the race cars, in the truck, on the 'dyno', or being re-built."

Draper said his decision to join PMM had been influenced by the team's stability, resources, the expertise of Technical Manager Paul Ceprnich, and commitment to growth and improvement.

"I wanted to go to a settled team for a period of time, and you can see this operation is growing fast," said Draper.

"Paul (Ceprnich) designs and builds great cars, and the team has the resources to maintain the type of engine development you need if you want to run at the front consistently."

Draper said he would initially develop PMM's existing engines, and then introduce new-generation powerplants for the VZ Commodores during the 13-round 2005 championship. He will be assisted in PMM's expanded engine department by Arch McMurray and David Harvey.

"Some people say these (V8 Supercar) engines are fully developed because they are 'push-rod' technology, but I've been playing with them for 20 years and there's still a lot you can do," said Draper.

"When you start using more horsepower and different materials it puts extra stress on the engine, so you've got to find the balance with reliability. You have to constantly evaluate things like the electronics, cylinder heads, camshafts, and other bits and pieces."

"Extra horsepower is important, but you have to consider the drivability of the car, and what works best at one track might not be suitable somewhere else. Drivers also have their preferences in how they like power delivered, and that's another variable."

Draper's engine development program will utilise PMM's new partnership with technology solutions company Camplex, Delcam software, and a $220,000 Haas Computer Numerical Control (CNC) five-axis machine.

Morris' team are in the process of completing their sixth 'in-house' Commodore V8 Supercar since 2001, and all of their race cars have been designed by Ceprnich with Computer Aided Design-Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAD-CAM).

The 2005 V8 Supercar Championship begins with the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide on March 17-20. Before then the teams will contest the non-championship races at the Australian Formula One Grand Prix at Albert Park in Melbourne from March 4-6.

This is brilliant news for TKR & PMM... Mr Draper's handiwork has been mentioned in hushed tones as one of the strongest Auroras in a straight line... with a development budget ahead of him at PMM, the Sirromet and TKR units will be jets in a straight line as well as around the corners!

Engine work is becoming a serious business these days... 3 people to look after 7 engines is really putting the resources where they are most required
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 12 Jan 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1198744)   #2
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has been some movement at Dynamik as well.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 12 Jan 2005, 22:44 (Ref:1199419)   #3
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PMM and TKR should have a helluva strong straight-line Holden package in 2005. They weren't too bad through the corners last year, so it could be interesting.

Maybe Rattie will be able to "fluke" a pole like Bairdo did last year at Winton in the wet.....how far in denial can the opposition be that they got upstaged?
Old 13 Jan 2005, 05:41 (Ref:1199553)   #4
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there is a lot more power to be had from the HME.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 13 Jan 2005, 06:22 (Ref:1199563)   #5
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
PMM & The Hours of Power.
Isn't that a Christian TV Program on early in the morning?
Old 13 Jan 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1199691)   #6
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

You are right there billy bigtime.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1200230)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The "Hours" refers to the engine dyno work that will absorb most of Mr Draper's 2005 year.... testing, changing stuff, testing again... chasing the elusive power/driveability/fuel miser balance....

So the "Hours of Power" is a play on words... from that very teev show... It takes many development hours to extract power in any racing engine
Old 13 Jan 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1200319)   #8
Harves
Racer

Tonga
Melbourne
Harves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's happen to Archie McMurray?
Old 14 Jan 2005, 10:04 (Ref:1200680)   #9
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harves
What's happen to Archie McMurray?
Said in the press release that he will be assisting Mr Draper in the engine department.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 07:12 (Ref:1203525)   #10
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the Vibes Im picking up are heading towards Paul Morris's first ATCC win!

Big call............ But you heard it hear first. Go 29, even though it seemed like I was their only fan at the track at Bathurst!!! I didn't see a single dude cap or shirt amongst the 60,000 Murph, Skaifey and Ambrose ones!
Old 18 Jan 2005, 09:17 (Ref:1203587)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I dont think you were alone Timu... there is quite a fanbase of PMM supporters around, bedecked in the full Sirromet garb... perhaps they went to look at other parts of the event after Mr Gurr's faux pas?
Old 18 Jan 2005, 09:30 (Ref:1203599)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
only one problem timu. paul morris has already had his first win

calder in round 7 2001

i think it was after that they changed the rules on blocking.

and i hope he dosnt win any more races
Old 18 Jan 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1204130)   #13
Rob 18
Racer

Rob 18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After his effort at Adelaide last year when he had the lead with only a few laps to go through good pit stratedgy, and basically just fell off the track when he saw the blue flash of #1 in his mirrors.

No Chance.....
Old 18 Jan 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1204144)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The Sirromet car was poor after the restart wasnt it... it was in the lead at Bathurst too, till the restart... and the cold tyre running was not good enough to keep the car in front of the pursuers...

I think you may be surprised at the 2005 effort...
Old 18 Jan 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1204164)   #15
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i don't think the car is the problem.
team kiwi and the rat should prove that this year.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1204167)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Just wait till the enduros
Old 19 Jan 2005, 00:32 (Ref:1204283)   #17
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was certainly down on power at Bathurst compared to the front runners.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 01:06 (Ref:1205208)   #18
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't always trust your sources GTR they have been wrong in the past