Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Are the V8's heading to become NASCAR clones?
Yes, the V8's are heading to NASCAR clones 37 80.43%
No, the V8's are not heading to NASCAR's direction 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Dec 2005, 07:54 (Ref:1490407)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are V8's going to be clones of NASCAR?

Are the V8 Supercars heading to be clones of NASCAR with control chassis, same horse power and tech features? Cast your votes and posts of the V8's heading to NASCAR or not.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 08:10 (Ref:1490415)   #2
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely, except for the Oval circuit, then again Street Ciruits are a bit like that anyway.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 08:12 (Ref:1490418)   #3
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are already there in some senses...But heading that way completely? yeah pretty much..
Old 27 Dec 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1490434)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmm, other than cars in the same engine supply 'circle of trust' which 2 cars in NASCAR have the same horsepower??

One of the head honchos from the Cosworth group rocked up and found 25bhp out of a NASCAR engine that had been developed for a zillion years.

25bhp!!

Phenomenal....

There are still good teams and bad teams in NASCAR, same as Supercar....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Dec 2005, 10:18 (Ref:1490458)   #5
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony has made no secret of his admiration for NASCAR, in fact when he made his first ever appearance on In Pit Lane 10 years ago he said at the time that NASCAR was ultimatly the template he was using to fashion V8 Supercars.
He said then his ideal meeting would be 2 Level 2 Busch Cup type races and 1 big V8 event.
Even then he had little time for "support categories"
If I can hunt down that tape I might publish it on the In Pit Lane Podcast http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...3460&i=1481143 in the New Year.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1490472)   #6
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, NASCAR is the model.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1490475)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So how long before they drop the touring car (title) sham.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1490500)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well I dont wanna get into this argument but Nascar is the biggest watched motorsport anywhere in the world , so they must be doing someright , Right ?
Old 27 Dec 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1490661)   #9
Robert Ryan
Veteran

DRT were listed as Touring Cars by a British publication. DTM is even less stock than V8Supercar, but they are still Touring Cars.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1490737)   #10
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1992, when CAMS announced the new rules, they said that the cars would be "NASCAR-like". So that's how they started, and they've got closer ever since.

Kramer
Old 27 Dec 2005, 22:25 (Ref:1490775)   #11
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if works then it will be great. Bout time to see a truly even spread winners, quit the boring usual suspect wins. Time for Brad Jones to win, Paul Morris to win, Steve Owen to win etc. etc. Truly totally unpredictable winner delivered every time, would be great.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 23:19 (Ref:1490793)   #12
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was an hour special on early Tuesday morning at about 1am on CBNC (Foxtel), called Nascar Gold. It talked about the commercial side of Nascar with interviews with Nascar CEO Brian France and car owners and drivers. It discussed how the decline of bat and ball sports has seen Nascar boom over the past few years. Sponsors are clambering to have their name on the cars (or as they say - "moving billboards"). Fantastic programe showing how big the commercial side of Nascar is, it is now one of the biggest watched sports in the world - especially as it is on 30 plus times a year and held in huge sporting complexes.

If you get a chance check out your Foxtel guide to see if it's on again. About to go and watch it again on tape.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 02:59 (Ref:1490822)   #13
John Cummins
Rookie

Ireland
Capital Heights, Maryland, USA
John Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first time i saw a Toyota Craftsman truck engine i thought it was a Yates/Roush Ford engine. They look the same.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 03:06 (Ref:1490824)   #14
SkaifeHRT
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria Australia
SkaifeHRT has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'd like to see the V8s head in a GTP direction. Ditch the wings!!!
Old 28 Dec 2005, 03:33 (Ref:1490828)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
DRT were listed as Touring Cars by a British publication. DTM is even less stock than V8Supercar, but they are still Touring Cars.
DTM arent touring cars either.

My point is that Nascar arent touring cars, no one calls them touring cars. Cochrane doesnt see them as touring cars, but he is willing to head down the Nascar path but still wants to hold on to the "worlds greatest touring car" joke.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 04:48 (Ref:1490832)   #16
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think trying to box Supercars into a predetermined category in being somewhat pedantic. V8 Supercars aren't NASCAR but they also can no longer be called touring cars.

V8 Supercars are not, nor ever will be clones of NASCAR. But yes, the cars may have similarities.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 05:38 (Ref:1490835)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who are the 5 (so far) jokers who have voted no? You can't be serious......
Old 28 Dec 2005, 06:05 (Ref:1490837)   #18
Robert Ryan
Veteran

So what is DTM? The only Touring cars by your definition are the WTCC and the BTCC a pretty sad bunch.
no one calls them touring cars. The British and Europeans have. Touring cars without doors , but they still run on roadcourses(only two I admit)
Old 28 Dec 2005, 06:13 (Ref:1490840)   #19
Robert Ryan
Veteran

One defintion I quickly got off the net. Notice how the distinction is not that cut and dried
"NASCAR and Touring Car racing
Non-formula, road car-based racing spawned NASCAR in America and Touring Car racing in the rest of the world. Both are for cars that from the outside look like showroom road-going models but which underneath the skin are very different. NASCAR tailors to American production models and races mainly — though not exclusively — on ovals. Touring cars are based on European or Australian road cars and, like F1 cars, race on road racing or street tracks"
Old 28 Dec 2005, 06:23 (Ref:1490841)   #20
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Another one:
"In two sentences: NASCAR are covered wheel touring cars, while CART are open wheel (formerly known as Indy-cars) cars with turbocharged engines. NASCAR is the American equivalent of BTCC, while CART is similar to F1."
Old 28 Dec 2005, 06:37 (Ref:1490843)   #21
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Who are the 5 (so far) jokers who have voted no? You can't be serious......
I'm one of the jokers who voted no. Who are the 18 clowns who believe Supercars and NASCAR are identical in every respect? Or don't know the meaning of clone.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 07:17 (Ref:1490847)   #22
Robert Ryan
Veteran

They are not identical and never will be, but V8Supercar is borrowing heavily from the more successful NASCAR experiences.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 11:02 (Ref:1490904)   #23
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
"NASCAR and Touring Car racing
Non-formula, road car-based racing spawned NASCAR in America and Touring Car racing in the rest of the world. Both are for cars that from the outside look like showroom road-going models but which underneath the skin are very different. NASCAR tailors to American production models and races mainly — though not exclusively — on ovals. Touring cars are based on European or Australian road cars and, like F1 cars, race on road racing or street tracks"
That definition is not from Wikipedia is it? It's woeful.

As long as V8s have some sort of road-car bodywork, even *shock horror* real panels for the near-future, it will be alright. Even if the shape of the cars becomes a computer cut-and-shut to the tune of 10cm dropped here and there as the shape of the road car is morphed to fit onto the chassis DTM-style and then made out of carbon or fiberglass it won't be too bad, as long as we have doors that actually open and cars that don't look like jelly beans the series will go along nicely IMHO, regardless if what's under the skin becomes much the same.

Extremely daft comment ahead... In my uninformed opinion as with all FIA regulations apart from the drivetrain and direct performance parts of the car, the rest is totally free right? (small consellation I guess. Just as a poster said, they follow the letter, but then they "get away with whatever they can" as the rules are vague aren't they? You can certainly stick what-ever air-conditing or cooling system where-ever you want, and you can stick most auxillary functional parts of what-ever design where-ever you want... that's completely unregulated... I guess that's fairly trivial if you can't choose your ratios and the suspension points are regulated but not standard and you have restrictions of your engines etc. oh well.

In two sentences: NASCAR are covered wheel touring cars, while CART are open wheel (formerly known as Indy-cars) cars with turbocharged engines. NASCAR is the American equivalent of BTCC, while CART is similar to F1

I don't think that defination is real great either. The Bentley LMP that usually adorns the ten-tenths logo has covered wheels (and a roof) does that make it a touring car?
Old 28 Dec 2005, 13:19 (Ref:1490960)   #24
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When are V8Supercars going to get overtaking from NASCAR?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 29 Dec 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1491191)   #25
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You don't have to be very sharp to realise that the 2 original business plan writers based the Supercar business on the NASCAR model. NASCAR is bloody huge - period. Resultingly, it has a huge number of years of experience over and above Supercars, but it is clear that Supercars could well be the local version of NASCAR. It has the all the ingredients to get there. It just needs more rounds to get more regular TV exposure to thus develop the fan base and general awareness level even further. Its at the point of needing to take the next step in its development by increasing round numbers.

I would like to see 11-12 Australian rounds and 4-5 overseas rounds a year. Its absolutely possibly and fair to say that it would keep all fans happy - the local fan base satisfied and the international fan base just hungry enough.