Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One > Predictions Contest & Fun

Old 24 Feb 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2836472)   #1
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
amon mars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2013 F1 New Qualifying Drivers

The tall order of predicting a new entrant driver to F1 is not an easy one. But given his achievement, his influence and I suspect his drive; it’s got to be a safe bet that Conor Daly sits his backside in an F1 car for a qualifying session during 2013. Will he win a GP? Possibly!

I hereby fling the gauntlet on the floor of all the ten-tenths armchair talent spotters out there. The question is: what new names will be listed in a 2013 F1 qualifying session? Let the games begin!
Old 26 Feb 2011, 16:50 (Ref:2837212)   #2
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daniel Ricciardo, thats if he doesnt get drafted in during this year
Old 27 Feb 2011, 03:44 (Ref:2837366)   #3
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
New Drivers to enter F1 in 2013

Undoubtedly Daniel's got to be on the top of the list to qualify an F1 car in 2013. A little research shows other future stars are listed on: http://www.driverdb.com/future-racing-stars/, but in 2013 it is likely only three new entrants will hold an F1 Superlicence (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Super_Licence) and qualify an F1 car in a GP event. The list is now: Daniel Ricciardo; Conor Daly and ???? ?????

Last edited by amon mars; 27 Feb 2011 at 03:49.
Old 27 Feb 2011, 06:50 (Ref:2837381)   #4
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, pretty high praise. I'll be rooting for Daly, but I'd cool on that prediction until I see him this year. As for my prediction, I'll go with a safe one in Gutierrez.
Old 27 Feb 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2837563)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ricciardo will be 'new' in 2012

Definites
Jean-Eric Vergne
Esteban Gutierrez
Alexander Rossi

Possibles
Valtteri Bottas
Old 27 Feb 2011, 20:00 (Ref:2837587)   #6
formula_fan
Racer

formula_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ricciardo will surely be called up either this year at some point or the start of next.

For 2013 Gutierrez and Vergne are most likely, big call on Daly, I would be extremely surprised as it would be a massive step for someone who hasn't raced in Europe until 2011, I don't know a huge amount about him though. Outside chances I would go for are Alexander Rossi and Jolyon Palmer.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 04:25 (Ref:2837778)   #7
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
It's fair to say Daniel Ricciardo is already an F1 driver and it is highly likely that he will compete in a 2013 qualifying session. And furthermore, he probably will have what it takes to make a good career in F1.
So, the revised 2013 new entrants list is now, in no particular order:
Conor Daly
Jean-Eric Vergne
Esteban Gutierrez
Alexander Rossi

Possibles
Valtteri Bottas
Jolyon Palmer
and the list appears to grow!
But, of course only three new entrants are likely to make their way into F1 in 2013: so the question now seems to swing to "who is going to retire from F1 to make way for the growing list of aspirants"? It looks like it's going to be very competitive in F1 over the next few years with these young guns stepping up to stake their claim on their place in F1 history!
Old 28 Feb 2011, 04:44 (Ref:2837782)   #8
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by amon mars View Post
But, of course only three new entrants are likely to make their way into F1 in 2013
What makes you think 3?
I'm just wondering
Old 28 Feb 2011, 10:38 (Ref:2837887)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ostro I think amon mars means 3 so far

I only stopped there with my picks because they were the ones that instantly sprung to mind and because they are possibly the 3 main flavour of the months below F1 (excepting Ricciardo!)

Of course on pure ability there will be a good dozen in my book but as we all know talent only gets you so far these days.
Old 1 Mar 2011, 00:57 (Ref:2838223)   #10
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
Martin Brundle said it - I think!

What makes you think 3?
I'm just wondering
I think it was a comment by Martin Brundle in his book "Working the Wheel" where he said on average three new drivers manage to sit in to an F1 car at a GP event in any one season. I'll have another look and find the quote if I can. But, if he's right, 2013 is not likely to be any different than any previous season, unless a new constructor enters the fray!
Old 1 Mar 2011, 11:55 (Ref:2838383)   #11
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
Amendment to quotation

The quote is in the book "Nigel Mansell - The Making of a Champion" by Christopher Hilton (Corgi Books, 1987). In the chapter entitled "The Long Hard Road" in the Pit Stop section (page 43) he says "And of course Formula One is complete unto itself. It has its own tribal customs, its own calms and storms". On page 44 he goes on to say "The handful? They are the thirty, virtually all regulars in Formula One. You might get two or three newcomers per year as vacancies occur, not more".
Since Hilton wrote his book, the number of F1 teams has diminished and in recent years the eleven or so GP teams now only offer twenty-two racing seats and the test drivers' positions for the talented few like Daniel Ricciardo.
It will be interesting to see what F1 opportunities arise in the future: but it's a good each way bet that no more than three new entrants will qualify a GP car during 2013. The thread question is "what's the names of the drivers that will graduate from the feeder formula to sit in an F1 car during 2013 in their first qualifying session?"