Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Jan 2021, 03:18 (Ref:4031600)   #2641
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a collection card from DHL yesterday advising that I need go to my local PO to collect some parts I had made in the UK.
Also telling me I have to pay for Customs holding,6 plus a further 6.76 vat charge.
Parts made came to 18!
Brexit,made for the easily lead.
Old 28 Jan 2021, 07:53 (Ref:4031621)   #2642
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Hope you have had your vaccination Terry!!
Old 28 Jan 2021, 08:56 (Ref:4031628)   #2643
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Had a collection card from DHL yesterday advising that I need go to my local PO to collect some parts I had made in the UK.
Also telling me I have to pay for Customs holding,6 plus a further 6.76 vat charge.
Parts made came to 18!
DHL - you should just be grateful you actually received the parts at all, Terence!
Old 28 Jan 2021, 09:42 (Ref:4031637)   #2644
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am John,not my choice when it comes to deliveries but probably a lot better than Hernes🤣
Old 28 Jan 2021, 09:45 (Ref:4031638)   #2645
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Hope you have had your vaccination Terry!!
Not yet John,but we are very fortunate in this are and surrounding parts,very low infection rates and non of the British strain at all.
Old 28 Jan 2021, 12:53 (Ref:4031671)   #2646
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Parts made came to 18!
You would have to pay the VAT anyway Terry.

The gouging charge for processing (or even just P&P within a country) is always going to be independent of the value of the products.

That doesn't make it any more satisfying of course but realistically it's pretty much no different, other than the opportunistic "customs holding fee" label, to how things operate anyway.

DHL have to pay somehow for all the freighter aircraft they are operating!
Old 28 Jan 2021, 15:06 (Ref:4031694)   #2647
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yes Grant,hope my bit helps with a gallon or two.😅
Old 28 Jan 2021, 18:26 (Ref:4031725)   #2648
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yes Grant,hope my bit helps with a gallon or two.😅
Nearly a couple of decades ago I had a paid for trip to a conference in Florida, an annual event run by a software outfit whose products I had been using for a while and where I had spent quite a bit of time offering assistance to other users via their forum.

I had worked out a way of undertaking some tricky data extraction task using obscure bit of logic and at the conference presented these options to the attendees.

What I did not know until it happened was that the company had decided to inaugurate an award that year for non-employees who had been offering user community support in the spirit of another chap who had been especially inspiring but had unfortunately passed away the previous year.

So there I was travelling light, returning via multiple flights and quick stay with a former colleague in Washington DC and suddenly I have a significantly sized and relatively heavy block pf laser engraved glass like material to lug around in addition to the conference material and some stuff provided by another of the presenters.

The company kindly offered to ship the piece, well packaged (so a largish box bit some middle weight assessment) via Fedex (iirc) and being unfamiliar with such a thing declared a value based on the cost to them. Which put it over the Duty threshold at the time and resulted in contact from Fedex demanding payment.

The value should have been Gift and 0 to be realistic since it had no intrinsic resale value.

As I recall we had a 3 party discussion about how to sensibly deal with this and there was an eventual resolution that ultimately led to the package arriving. It took a while.

Some parts of the world are very generous with samples and gifts.

I guess one has to become familiar with the rules although at any process change point, like now and again in Summer when the EU -allegedly - will be catching up with their own legislation, one might expect greater attention simply because of the changes.

Might be at least a year or two before things start to run more smoothly. Maybe not more cheaply though. Digital tax collection free at the point of collection as far a Govt. is concerned is far too tempting to manage with a light touch.
Old 30 Jan 2021, 16:35 (Ref:4032096)   #2649
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Parts made came to 18!

Given that pre-Brexit the UK VAT would have been 3.60, I'm confused as to how your VAT should be so high - are German VAT rates really that extortionate? Googling seems to indicate that it is 19%.....
Old 31 Jan 2021, 14:46 (Ref:4032496)   #2650
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Given that pre-Brexit the UK VAT would have been 3.60, I'm confused as to how your VAT should be so high - are German VAT rates really that extortionate? Googling seems to indicate that it is 19%.....

I must admit to being so pleased to get the parts,I wasn't overly concerned about working out the vat.
Only made the post to give an idea on what can be expected now when dealing with the Island.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 13:52 (Ref:4032797)   #2651
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I must admit to being so pleased to get the parts,I wasn't overly concerned about working out the vat.
Only made the post to give an idea on what can be expected now when dealing with the Island.

Sure - just seems that a number of people seem to be taking advantage of Brexit to do some unjustifiable price-gouging......
Old 1 Feb 2021, 15:41 (Ref:4032827)   #2652
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Sure - just seems that a number of people seem to be taking advantage of Brexit to do some unjustifiable price-gouging......

Not sure it's just Brexit.

One of the odd factors of the pandemic - for some but not all - is the accumulated spending power when money keeps arriving and most of the usual options for spending over and above basic necessities.

For example I have heard that the sales of Porsches have been going well and hear reports that ultra cheap cars ($300) are not to be found in the USA because stimulus cheques have allowed people to budget $1000. And the rest of the market has eased up accordingly.

Once this has been observed for a while it seems very likely that the effects will extend to wider markets. But as prices for all sort of things seep upwards - PayG mobile phone pricing for example - it is almost certain that all areas of the economy will either need to adjust their operations to cover extra costs or simply see an opportunity to do so.

Whether the increase sticks or not depends on other factors. Once the Govts have started to take their bites and the real world of commerce becomes visible after the "lockdown" ends (that may be a while yet) we will have a better understanding of that has changed. And whether or not that change was unavoidable or blatant gouging.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 07:37 (Ref:4032945)   #2653
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
The content of the article doesn't matter. This is just the best ever headline on The Times web site.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Feb 2021, 12:05 (Ref:4032983)   #2654
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
I did suspect when I read that this morning that somewhere a sub-editor had sat back with a satisfied sigh, muttering -"beat that, suckers"