Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Feb 2021, 14:39 (Ref:4035720)   #1076
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Given the typical age of a historic racer and the officials and marshals, you have to factor in the vaccination rate. The government/NHS has done wonderfully well in getting 15 million done by mid February but shortly those folk will be due the second jab starting in early March. Thus that's another 15 million as well as starting on the over 65s. My second jab is not due to the first week of May. Thus all the cohorts 1 to 4 should have had both jabs by mid May but that has got to slow down the rate from then on with first and second jabs being done. Unless they can step up the vaccination rate to near a million a day, it will be a while to get all the over 55s done. I am not thinking of being active as a competitor or organiser before June at best.
Even then my first priority will be a holoday!
Old 18 Feb 2021, 16:30 (Ref:4035744)   #1077
saaben
Rookie

saaben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a mere spectator I'm hoping to be at,
Cadwell, April for CTCRC. My friend races in Pre '66 saloons.

I had looked at Knockhill 1-2 May but I go for my second Covid jab on the

2nd. On plus side there is a meeting at Mallory on the 1st.

Knockhill end of May is a possibilty if I can book a long weekend and have a

few days away from home at the same time.

I do enjoy historic racing but also enjoy Pick-ups, Legends, MX5's, Silhouette
saloons and Mini's.

Luckily for me, all these formulae are well catered for at a handful of circuits

within an hour and half of home.
Old 18 Feb 2021, 16:36 (Ref:4035748)   #1078
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Given the typical age of a historic racer and the officials and marshals, you have to factor in the vaccination rate. The government/NHS has done wonderfully well in getting 15 million done by mid February but shortly those folk will be due the second jab starting in early March. Thus that's another 15 million as well as starting on the over 65s. My second jab is not due to the first week of May. Thus all the cohorts 1 to 4 should have had both jabs by mid May but that has got to slow down the rate from then on with first and second jabs being done. Unless they can step up the vaccination rate to near a million a day, it will be a while to get all the over 55s done. I am not thinking of being active as a competitor or organiser before June at best.
Even then my first priority will be a holoday!

I note your point - my second jab isn't due until April 19th - but I wouldn't stop that letting me compete at Oulton a week or so before, if it goes ahead. CSCC ran several races last year under Covid-safe conditions - although we didn't take part, and I'm sure it can be done in relative safety.

However as previously noted, the availability of marshals and in particular medical back-up will be critical.
Old 18 Feb 2021, 21:26 (Ref:4035795)   #1079
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have rolled over tickets for Donington HF, FoS, Silverstone Classic and the Revival and although I hope Donington might be running I'm expecting Thruxton in the middle of June to be a more realistic start to our season.
Old 18 Feb 2021, 22:44 (Ref:4035807)   #1080
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
We have rolled over tickets for Donington HF, FoS, Silverstone Classic and the Revival and although I hope Donington might be running I'm expecting Thruxton in the middle of June to be a more realistic start to our season.
Thruxton probably worse case scenario with the Donington HF as the best I reckon.
Old 19 Feb 2021, 14:47 (Ref:4035882)   #1081
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
With Le Castellet by PA having lead in the wing, may be Tour Auto welcoming a large majority of French or Continental teams will be held on date. I wonder about what is called GP de France, now… No Brits, no nothing or barely. Cant imagine such an event with only twenty HFF, fifteen F3/FR Turbo, two dogs, one hence and three cats…
Moralité? Messieurs les Anglais restez chez vous en sécurité, vous avez absolument tout: la culture, l'expérience, les voitures, les pièces, les préparateurs, les propriétaires, les pilotes, les pistes et… l'argent! And the fighting spirit.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 09:47 (Ref:4036387)   #1082
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From listening to Boris yesterday, if I have read it right, it seems that race meetings with no spectators and limited support could take place from 29th March and spectators in limited numbers allowed from 17th May. Full lifting of restrictions from 21st June.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 09:51 (Ref:4036388)   #1083
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
From listening to Boris yesterday, if I have read it right, it seems that race meetings with no spectators and limited support could take place from 29th March and spectators in limited numbers allowed from 17th May. Full lifting of restrictions from 21st June.
That was my take on it too. So whither Goodwood MM and before that Donington Historic?
Old 23 Feb 2021, 10:18 (Ref:4036389)   #1084
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
That was my take on it too. So whither Goodwood MM and before that Donington Historic?
Theme parks, which were the way limited spectators were admitted to circuits last year, are opening on 12 Apr. I think MSV and smaller circuits may start opening then on similar rules to last year. Not Goodwood or Silverstone though
Old 23 Feb 2021, 10:21 (Ref:4036391)   #1085
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the one hand, outdoor sports facilities can reopen from 29 March but advice is still to “stay local”, and staying overnight somewhere does not seem to be possible until 12 April.
Still slightly contradictory from our sports point of view. I guess MSUK will tell us as soon as they can.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 10:23 (Ref:4036392)   #1086
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
"Step 2, no earlier than 12 April:

Non-essential retail, personal care premises, such as hairdressers and nail salons, and public buildings, such as libraries and community centres, will reopen.
Most outdoor attractions and settings, including zoos, and theme parks, will also reopen although wider social contact rules will apply in these settings to prevent indoor mixing between different households. Drive-in cinemas and drive-in performances will also be permitted."

So to me if Zoos and theme parks can open, why not outdoor motorsport venues?
Old 23 Feb 2021, 10:35 (Ref:4036396)   #1087
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post

I'd hazard a guess to say the theme parks and zoos don't have large crowds, rather they have a steady stream of patrons.

I suppose the feeling is that sport venues will have seating (thinking Football, Rugby, Cricket, etc.) whereby you can limit entries and have social distancing. That of course is not a good model for events such as Goodwood, or indeed Donington Festival, where the main point is to mingle with like minded enthusiasts.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 10:35 (Ref:4036397)   #1088
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
"Step 2, no earlier than 12 April:

Non-essential retail, personal care premises, such as hairdressers and nail salons, and public buildings, such as libraries and community centres, will reopen.
Most outdoor attractions and settings, including zoos, and theme parks, will also reopen although wider social contact rules will apply in these settings to prevent indoor mixing between different households. Drive-in cinemas and drive-in performances will also be permitted."

Don’t think anyone is suggesting that motorsport venues will not be able to reopen, it is just that the date of that reopening for events is not yet clear. Some think it will be from 29 March others .from 12 April.
MSUK will tell us when they will start issuing permits shortly.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 10:38 (Ref:4036398)   #1089
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Don’t think anyone is suggesting that motorsport venues will not be able to reopen, it is just that the date of that reopening for events is not yet clear. Some think it will be from 29 March others .from 12 April.
MSUK will tell us when they will start issuing permits shortly.
Yes sorry i should have phrased my comment better....i doubt it will be 29 March, i hope for 12 April, but some are suggesting it could be 17th May with other sports venues which seems strange to me.

I can understand restricting crowds at big events but whats the difference to 1000 people wandering around a club meeting compared to a few thousand at a theme park where contact with equipment is higher and social distancing is less.

As you say, im sure MSUK are busy trying to clarify things.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 10:39 (Ref:4036399)   #1090
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
On the one hand, outdoor sports facilities can reopen from 29 March but advice is still to “stay local”, and staying overnight somewhere does not seem to be possible until 12 April.
Still slightly contradictory from our sports point of view. I guess MSUK will tell us as soon as they can.
worth remembering that the motorsport industry hasn't really been referred to as sport by government restrictions unless it's been the elite events. so it's even more up in the air than that!
Old 23 Feb 2021, 10:52 (Ref:4036401)   #1091
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
worth remembering that the motorsport industry hasn't really been referred to as sport by government restrictions unless it's been the elite events. so it's even more up in the air than that!
Sure, and as I type this I can hear testing going on at Donington for “professional teams” and the Dukeries rally took place at Donington in Dec despite being in Tier 3 so clearly allowed but some very blurred lines.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 12:22 (Ref:4036420)   #1092
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
https://www.motorsportuk.org/motorsp...from-29-march/
Old 23 Feb 2021, 12:29 (Ref:4036422)   #1093
ascarracinguk
Veteran

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!
Old 23 Feb 2021, 12:56 (Ref:4036427)   #1094
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Just posted that statement in the "dates" thread....as said above, it still feels contradictory to the "stay local" injunction. Still, entry in for Oulton on April 10. Awaiting wee Nippy's comments today about Scotland's path - expected to mirror England but slower. I need hotels to be open in Scotland by April 30 to allow us to go the Knockhill on May 1/2.......
Old 23 Feb 2021, 13:07 (Ref:4036429)   #1095
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Just posted that statement in the "dates" thread....as said above, it still feels contradictory to the "stay local" injunction. Still, entry in for Oulton on April 10. Awaiting wee Nippy's comments today about Scotland's path - expected to mirror England but slower. I need hotels to be open in Scotland by April 30 to allow us to go the Knockhill on May 1/2.......
she seems to take boris' measures and adapt them to public opinion, so i reckon she'll go quicker in the longer term but maybe a bit longer on the short term to keep people happy that she's still being cautious...

remember motorsport is classed as work you can't do from home. don't know anyone that's had any issues getting rooms in hotels that are open
Old 23 Feb 2021, 18:51 (Ref:4036489)   #1096
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
she seems to take boris' measures and adapt them to public opinion, so i reckon she'll go quicker in the longer term but maybe a bit longer on the short term to keep people happy that she's still being cautious...

remember motorsport is classed as work you can't do from home. don't know anyone that's had any issues getting rooms in hotels that are open

Well I've got a room booked, for both Oulton and Knockhill, so we'll just have to see. Looking at the Premier Inn site it continues to say they can't allow stays for leisure purposes, so nearer the time they may be contacting me to cancel.........I can't in all honesty claim my motorsport is "work".....
Old 23 Feb 2021, 20:17 (Ref:4036501)   #1097
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've just had an email from Premier Inn about my booking in Yeovil over Easter - they will report me to the rozzers if they think I'm not staying for work purposes. I will be working of course, if the race meeting actually goes ahead.....

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 23 Feb 2021, 23:18 (Ref:4036521)   #1098
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
they will report me to the rozzers if they think I'm not staying for work purposes...

Did they put it to you in those exact terms?

Good news, however, that it seems events can get going again in April. Better summon up the enthusiasm now to dust the car of for Oulton...
Old 23 Feb 2021, 23:57 (Ref:4036524)   #1099
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I've just had an email from Premier Inn about my booking in Yeovil over Easter - they will report me to the rozzers if they think I'm not staying for work purposes. I will be working of course, if the race meeting actually goes ahead.....

Yep, I've just had the same email concerning my booking for Oulton on 9 April. In all honesty I couldn't claim to be working, and whilst I'm a little sceptical about their threat to report me to the Police, I'm not sure I'm about to risk a £200 fine to prove the point - especially as I can attend Oulton without staying overnight - just means an early start

For Paul - the wording is "If your stay doesn’t meet the criteria, we are not legally able to accommodate you and you’ll either need to amend your booking before 1pm on the day of arrival to a date after the restrictions have been lifted or cancel your stay and receive a full refund. We do however reserve the right to contact the police and/or local authority where we believe a stay is not permitted by law."
Old 24 Feb 2021, 07:11 (Ref:4036555)   #1100
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Richard, might be worth letting the CSCC office and wider membership know about that e-mail. It would be useful if we had some clarity on what was allowed or not, and the club may need to make a judgement on what it thinks the entry levels might be.