Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Feb 2021, 18:51 (Ref:4036489)   #1096
Lancsbreaker
Veteran
 
Lancsbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
England
Padiham, Lancashire
Posts: 3,253
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
she seems to take boris' measures and adapt them to public opinion, so i reckon she'll go quicker in the longer term but maybe a bit longer on the short term to keep people happy that she's still being cautious...

remember motorsport is classed as work you can't do from home. don't know anyone that's had any issues getting rooms in hotels that are open

Well I've got a room booked, for both Oulton and Knockhill, so we'll just have to see. Looking at the Premier Inn site it continues to say they can't allow stays for leisure purposes, so nearer the time they may be contacting me to cancel.........I can't in all honesty claim my motorsport is "work".....
Lancsbreaker is offline  
__________________
Richard Murtha: Missed a whole year Racing with CSCC, and now I'm 70 and therefore apparently "clinically vulnerable" - will I be able to start again? I'd better be! :)
Quote
Old 23 Feb 2021, 20:17 (Ref:4036501)   #1097
midgetman
Veteran
 
midgetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
England
Rural Wiltshire
Posts: 6,007
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
I've just had an email from Premier Inn about my booking in Yeovil over Easter - they will report me to the rozzers if they think I'm not staying for work purposes. I will be working of course, if the race meeting actually goes ahead.....

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
midgetman is offline  
__________________
Midgetman - known as Max Tyler to the world. MaxAttaq!
Quote
Old 23 Feb 2021, 23:18 (Ref:4036521)   #1098
Paul D
Veteran
 
Paul D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
England
Southport, Merseyside
Posts: 647
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
they will report me to the rozzers if they think I'm not staying for work purposes...

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Did they put it to you in those exact terms?

Good news, however, that it seems events can get going again in April. Better summon up the enthusiasm now to dust the car of for Oulton...
Paul D is offline  
__________________
"Light travels faster than sound - that's why, at first, some people appear bright... until you hear them speak!"
Quote
Old 23 Feb 2021, 23:57 (Ref:4036524)   #1099
Lancsbreaker
Veteran
 
Lancsbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
England
Padiham, Lancashire
Posts: 3,253
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I've just had an email from Premier Inn about my booking in Yeovil over Easter - they will report me to the rozzers if they think I'm not staying for work purposes. I will be working of course, if the race meeting actually goes ahead.....

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Yep, I've just had the same email concerning my booking for Oulton on 9 April. In all honesty I couldn't claim to be working, and whilst I'm a little sceptical about their threat to report me to the Police, I'm not sure I'm about to risk a £200 fine to prove the point - especially as I can attend Oulton without staying overnight - just means an early start


For Paul - the wording is "If your stay doesnít meet the criteria, we are not legally able to accommodate you and youíll either need to amend your booking before 1pm on the day of arrival to a date after the restrictions have been lifted or cancel your stay and receive a full refund. We do however reserve the right to contact the police and/or local authority where we believe a stay is not permitted by law."
Lancsbreaker is offline  
__________________
Richard Murtha: Missed a whole year Racing with CSCC, and now I'm 70 and therefore apparently "clinically vulnerable" - will I be able to start again? I'd better be! :)
Quote
Old 24 Feb 2021, 07:11 (Ref:4036555)   #1100
andy97
Veteran
 
andy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Posts: 4,572
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard, might be worth letting the CSCC office and wider membership know about that e-mail. It would be useful if we had some clarity on what was allowed or not, and the club may need to make a judgement on what it thinks the entry levels might be.
andy97 is offline  
__________________
Born in the Midlands, made in the Royal Navy
Quote
Old 24 Feb 2021, 08:12 (Ref:4036561)   #1101
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,980
Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
There is also the limit travel notice in force still after the 29th of March. Personally I think clubs should show a level of public responsibility and not try and hold events until after the April step change at the earliest. We can see the dates ahead of us and all now have a good idea of when and what we can run.

I don't think clubs should be encouraging members to tool around the country and meet up to conduct what is a leisure activity/hobby and I am speaking as someone who works on motoring/motorsport events for a national organisation.

I know everyone is itching to get going and preparers need to get cashflow from racers, but it is a waiting game and the more we continue to stick to the rules and the more people are vaccinated, the more likely the roadmap will run as planned - or as some speculate in todays papers - perhaps slightly earlier.
Moneyseeker is offline  
Quote
Old 24 Feb 2021, 09:45 (Ref:4036578)   #1102
coppice
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Posts: 659
coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!
But the travel limit is nonsense. Travel by car creates no risk of infection . The only thing that creates that risk is close contact with other people , especially in confined spaces . My travelling by car alone , or with the person in my bubble , creates no risk.

I realise that we are stuck with this but whilst I do recognise the need for great caution in unlocking restrictions on human contact I am growing very weary indeed of complying with a rule which has no sensible foundation .
coppice is offline  
Quote
Old 24 Feb 2021, 09:51 (Ref:4036581)   #1103
andy97
Veteran
 
andy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Posts: 4,572
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
There is also the limit travel notice in force still after the 29th of March. Personally I think clubs should show a level of public responsibility and not try and hold events until after the April step change at the earliest. We can see the dates ahead of us and all now have a good idea of when and what we can run.

I don't think clubs should be encouraging members to tool around the country and meet up to conduct what is a leisure activity/hobby and I am speaking as someone who works on motoring/motorsport events for a national organisation.

I know everyone is itching to get going and preparers need to get cashflow from racers, but it is a waiting game and the more we continue to stick to the rules and the more people are vaccinated, the more likely the roadmap will run as planned - or as some speculate in todays papers - perhaps slightly earlier.

The camping and caravan club have advised that their camp sites will not be open until 12 April at the earliest and that even then facility blocks will not be open until 17 May. What this means is that campers must have their own self contained toilet facilities.
Now, I appreciate that this is the Camping and caravan club’s advice regarding their own sites, and not for eg MSVs or Silverstones or Trac Mons but it does indicate the way the wind is blowing!

Are motorsport events viable between 29 March 12 April if only available to locally based competitors?
Are they viable between 12 April and 17 May if you can’t book a hotel and can only stay over if you can afford to book your own holiday let or have your own motorhome?
andy97 is offline  
__________________
Born in the Midlands, made in the Royal Navy
Quote
Old 24 Feb 2021, 09:55 (Ref:4036582)   #1104
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Mike Harte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Posts: 3,631
Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
But the travel limit is nonsense. Travel by car creates no risk of infection . The only thing that creates that risk is close contact with other people , especially in confined spaces . My travelling by car alone , or with the person in my bubble , creates no risk.

I realise that we are stuck with this but whilst I do recognise the need for great caution in unlocking restrictions on human contact I am growing very weary indeed of complying with a rule which has no sensible foundation .

Travel by car in principle does not create a risk, but it certainly does increase the potential for risk in that one may be more likely to haven accident or a car breakdown that requires outside assistance therefore increasing the risk.

I admit that I have become very risk averse because of Covid meaning that I haven't even seen my children or grandchildren since 2019, and surely that is far more important than going to watch a few cars going around a track.
Mike Harte is offline  
Quote
Old 24 Feb 2021, 10:01 (Ref:4036585)   #1105
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location:
Retired roaming
Posts: 5,003
john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Mike donít get to logical about this.
We spent yesterday trying to sort out getting people to Monte Carlo for historics which is still to be cancelled.
Anyone else thinking about taking cars?
I think itís better to stay here in Blighty but others have different ideas.
john ruston is online now  
Quote
Old 24 Feb 2021, 11:22 (Ref:4036601)   #1106
coppice
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Posts: 659
coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Travel by car in principle does not create a risk, but it certainly does increase the potential for risk in that one may be more likely to haven accident or a car breakdown that requires outside assistance therefore increasing the risk.

I admit that I have become very risk averse because of Covid meaning that I haven't even seen my children or grandchildren since 2019, and surely that is far more important than going to watch a few cars going around a track.
Accidents and breakdowns are relatively rare per mile travelled (I'm managing one of each in the last 700,000miles ) and are just as likely to happen en route by car to Tesco's, a vaccination centre or the Post Office , or even by slipping on the footpath .
coppice is offline  
Quote
Old 24 Feb 2021, 11:40 (Ref:4036606)   #1107
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Mike Harte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Posts: 3,631
Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Accidents and breakdowns are relatively rare per mile travelled (I'm managing one of each in the last 700,000miles ) and are just as likely to happen en route by car to Tesco's, a vaccination centre or the Post Office , or even by slipping on the footpath .

This may well be true for you, and the trips that you mention are what I would deem to be necessary. However, I truly don't believe that a car journey to watch motor racing, or as has been mentioned elsewhere, people being fined for going airplane spotting, to be classified by any stretch of the imagination to be necessary trips, although they might be good for the mind.
Mike Harte is offline  
Quote
Old 24 Feb 2021, 12:19 (Ref:4036622)   #1108
coppice
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Posts: 659
coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!
I am uncomfortable at living in a society in which I have to justify my journey to the authorities. It is absurd . I absolutely respect social distancing and the need for care in any human interaction and I am delighted to have had my first jab.

But why I should be criminalised for driving solo to a hill climb 30 miles away , to stand in a windy and sparsely peopled field utterly escapes me. It is arrant nonsense.
coppice is offline  
Quote
Old 24 Feb 2021, 12:26 (Ref:4036624)   #1109
andy97
Veteran
 
andy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Posts: 4,572
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I am uncomfortable at living in a society in which I have to justify my journey to the authorities. It is absurd . I absolutely respect social distancing and the need for care in any human interaction and I am delighted to have had my first jab.

But why I should be criminalised for driving solo to a hill climb 30 miles away , to stand in a windy and sparsely peopled field utterly escapes me. It is arrant nonsense.
But it doesnít matter what we think if those are the rules.

I might think itís nonsense that the speed limit on a quiet motorway in good weather is only 70mph but if I go 80 then I accept that I may get caught and fined.

I may think itís nonsense that I can go for a walk with my dogs but canít walk round a golf course hitting a little white ball, but those are the rules and society expects me to comply.

Itís a bu993r but itís tough.
andy97 is offline  
__________________
Born in the Midlands, made in the Royal Navy
Quote
Old 24 Feb 2021, 12:31 (Ref:4036627)   #1110
Lancsbreaker
Veteran
 
Lancsbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
England
Padiham, Lancashire
Posts: 3,253
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Richard, might be worth letting the CSCC office and wider membership know about that e-mail. It would be useful if we had some clarity on what was allowed or not, and the club may need to make a judgement on what it thinks the entry levels might be.

Good point, mate - I've messaged the Club. The point about the travel message only being revised to "stay local" is of course relevant.



It looks like Scotland will be slower than England to open up, although Sturgeon has been less clear on the detail, but I fear the Knockhill event on 1/2 May must also be in jeopardy.


Mike - I understand your concern - and equally Coppice's point about travel being only a slight risk of being a spreading agent. I think more pertinent is that (idiotic enforcement of "rules" such as you can't sit on a park bench aside) it is generally accepted that the risk of transmission outdoors - particularly if everyone in the paddock is masked - is extremely low - indeed one expert was stating last week that there was no recorded case of anyone contracting the disease from the "crowded beach" scenarios we saw last year. He may well have been over-stating the case, but motorsport has generally been diligent in protecting its participants.

EDIT: Just had a reply from CSCC " you are right about both events (Oulton and Knockhill) and accommodation concerns, rest assured it's our no.1 priority at present. " As I thought they are on the case, but what they can do, I don't know.

I note that CSCC have also just issued a warning to people NOT to book or attend testing sessions prior to March 29th.

Last edited by Lancsbreaker; 24 Feb 2021 at 12:46.
Lancsbreaker is offline  
__________________
Richard Murtha: Missed a whole year Racing with CSCC, and now I'm 70 and therefore apparently "clinically vulnerable" - will I be able to start again? I'd better be! :)
Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motorsport forums Vs non-motorsport forums 275 GTB-4 Announcements and Feedback 12 16 Aug 2002 13:39


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.