Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 1 Mar 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2141633)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What now for Montagny?

I was very dissapointed with the Forsythe news, do any of you guys think Franck might get a test for another team, he must have made the right sort of impression when he was top of the time sheets a few weeks back.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 18:14 (Ref:2141667)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly, I think Franck is going to lose out. His previous test was in a car he now won't be using, and he's got no oval experience. I don't think he's typical of the drivers the IRL needs - having too many F1 Rejects was a large part of the decline of ChampCar viewing figures, and part of the motive for founding the IRL originally.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 01:45 (Ref:2141915)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thing is I think Franck is the sort of personality that could be really popular in America. He's a very friendly and personable guy with a good sense of humour - I see him as a more reserved Zanardi.

And he's a far better proposition than some of the muppets going around in top level motorsport at the moment - on both sides of the Atlantic.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 01:52 (Ref:2141921)   #4
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He will be racing at Le Mans with Peugeot, but I won't expect to see him in the IRL.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2142038)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sports cars would be the likely destination for Franck.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2142110)   #6
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The decline of open wheel had nothing to do with F1 Rejects, the decline of Open Wheel racing was a direct result of the split and the formation of the IRL. The IRL split open wheel fans down the middle which divided revenues, sponsors, and driver talent in half and made both series unwatchable and laughing stocks of the racing world.

attack portions removed - chill, xpunk. - p-c

Last edited by paul-collins; 2 Mar 2008 at 14:40.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2142157)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Hey! Settle down gang!

Emotions can take over sometimes, but there is no need to engage in name-calling.

That said, perhaps the mods can open up a thread somewhere where those who want to discuss Who Killed Cock Robin can do so. This would give folks who need to (or still need to, after all these years) a place to vent and allow those who do not wish to do so a well-marked place to avoid.

The future is now, in a very real sense. Let's enjoy it!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 16:54 (Ref:2142345)   #8
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
I quite agree JohnSSC, the thread did after all ask what next for Franck, i do hope he stays in single seaters, he has to be worth a run out in the next round of tests, or am i just clutching at straws here.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 17:53 (Ref:2142403)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
He almost certainly was bringing some sponsorship with him - a talented driver with a budget should be able to find a ride in the new series...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 00:03 (Ref:2142830)   #10
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A racing driver is a racing driver. If he was welcomed in the F1 world (uber-picky, uber-selective - or pay with cash) he'll most likely be accepted in a re-building American open-wheel. Seriously though, the man can drive a racecar, and if he wants to he can do it on ovals.

Chris
Old 3 Mar 2008, 00:56 (Ref:2142863)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I think he's pretty good from what I've seen.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2143165)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I apologise for opening a can of worms earlier in this thread, but that is still how I feel. Having a good PR manner reduces some of Franck's commercial disadvantage of not beng a native English speaker and having a difficult name, but maybe not all of it. Adjusting to ovals could be awkward, although some drivers get it immediately.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 19:37 (Ref:2143533)   #13
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
Obviously i am a Franck fan and it will forever bug me how he always seems to get rotten luck just as he seems to be getting his big break, it has always been the same throughout his career, i do hope he can at least get a test, i am of the school that if you are fast then you are fast, be it on an oval or wherever, and whether you like Franck or not he is definately fast.