Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 30 Jun 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1950506)   #51
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Brilliant!!

Gregor, This is probably a bit of a long shot, but I don't suppose you remember whether your dad's friend did buy the Commodore, and if so, where it ended up? If he did, then your pics might have just raised an interesting question, particularly if the date might be as late as 1989....

If the car was sold on still in VK form, then the VL Mike O'Brien ran in 1988 might have been a different chassis, and not the ex-Grice VK updated, as I'd always thought....
I do remember and no, they didn't buy it, I can't remember why not though.
It could possibly have been '88 but I think '89, but you could prove me wrong!!
I think Dad also drove the Vince Woodman/John Cleland Holden in Thundersaloons in '86, only a test/demo.

Last edited by GBRM; 30 Jun 2007 at 13:50.
Old 30 Jun 2007, 13:59 (Ref:1950510)   #52
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do these pictures help any more?
P.S. The friend is in the driver's seat!!

Old 30 Jun 2007, 14:20 (Ref:1950529)   #53
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hang on a minute didn't Chris Maries end up buying this car??
Old 30 Jun 2007, 16:44 (Ref:1950651)   #54
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Hang on a minute didn't Chris Maries end up buying this car??
Now you mention it, that rings a very vague bell....and if so, then the 1988 O'Brien VL must have been a different car- and where are they now.....?
Old 30 Jun 2007, 18:13 (Ref:1950708)   #55
racer2_uk
Rookie

United Kingdom
racer2_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all, I think the Ric Wood Commodore VS was the Hossack and Pate Wynn's car ? which was bought after the 1998 Bathurst race.

Andy
Old 2 Jul 2007, 07:04 (Ref:1952014)   #56
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the Guy Frequilin Commodore just before it was recently shipped to Australia
Was it an HDT race car or was it built from an HDT coloured shell (or not)

Old 2 Jul 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1952192)   #57
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob
This is the Guy Frequilin Commodore just before it was recently shipped to Australia
Was it an HDT race car or was it built from an HDT coloured shell (or not)

All built in France!!!! Bits via HDT (Marty Watt)
Old 2 Jul 2007, 22:09 (Ref:1952890)   #58
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer2_uk
Hi all, I think the Ric Wood Commodore VS was the Hossack and Pate Wynn's car ? which was bought after the 1998 Bathurst race.

Andy
That's the one...
http://www.ricwood.com/holden.htm
Old 3 Jul 2007, 16:31 (Ref:1953530)   #59
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was an article in 'Motorsport' in 1988, which involved a test drive of the ADR O'Brien Commodore. I'll dig it out and see if it mentions the history of the car.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 20:52 (Ref:1953713)   #60
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to leave these pictures up, but I'm betting that you do not have permission from the respective magazines to post them here and therefore I must delete them. Please see FAQs regarding copyright. - JT

Last edited by John Turner; 4 Jul 2007 at 23:04.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 08:33 (Ref:1957342)   #61
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.geocities.com/supersaloon...tolista-1.html - this site tells about two VL/SS's in Finnland. Both were racing in 1992 Nordic Cup for Group A and '91 DTM spec. cars. Juhani Pakari and Pertti Kurki-Suonio were the drivers. From what I can gather, Pakari bought his car from Serge Power either in 1989 or as a 1989 spec. car, which reminds me that German Peter John planned to run the 1989 DTM with a Serge Power Commodore. That plan fell through as sponsorship failed to materialized.

Jesper
Old 10 Jul 2007, 21:18 (Ref:1960123)   #62
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.gyle.be/mkportal/modules/...bum=192&pos=6: one of the Belgian Commodores.

and a French Rallycross version datet as 1990: http://www.fanderallycross.com/1990N...mg1990118.html

Jesper
Old 14 Jul 2007, 11:22 (Ref:1962991)   #63
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
Great photos!

Judging by the Shell Oils logos on the bridge, I'd say the photos are from 1987 or 1988, maybe early '89.

Also, the photos show that the car is definitely the ex-Grice ETCC car and not an ex-HDT car as suggested elsewhere (the Roadways build plate is there on the glovebox).

However, O'Brien's later VL had a VL dashboard, no Roadways build plate (not put onto the new dash, or not the Roadways VK at all?) and had a great, big 'HDT' logo on the steering wheel. Don't quite know how to explain that...

EDIT: Agreed KA, agreed.
The car definately has Roadways/Grice look (stance) about it especially the Grice spec SAAS steering wheel
Did any other spotters notice the OPEL Senator? styled front guards or wings (depending which part of the world your from) on the front of the Aussie VK Commodore? Nearlly the same car I know!
Old 9 Sep 2007, 10:00 (Ref:2007386)   #64
Zep
Rookie

Zep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also Jouko "Jokke" Kallio ran Commodore in Finnish Championship:

http://www.jokkekallioracing.com/holden.gif

Check also other cars in "kilpa-autot" section!
Old 10 Sep 2007, 06:49 (Ref:2008178)   #65
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re the Frequelin `Holden`. I did some research on it when I had it & found that it was built by Opel in Germany from some parts supplied from Australia (the shell presumsbly as it was RHD & had a # with VK in it...) and some locally made. It was built for the French Championship in 1986 & still had scrutineering tags from Pau, Paul Ricard, etc....from 1986. Tony Fall who ran Opel then told me it was sold at the end of `86 minus engine & gearbox. Not sure it ever ran again as it still had the original paint & alloy roll cage in it.
Alex
Old 10 Sep 2007, 21:42 (Ref:2008878)   #66
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex E
Re the Frequelin `Holden`. I did some research on it when I had it & found that it was built by Opel in Germany from some parts supplied from Australia (the shell presumsbly as it was RHD & had a # with VK in it...) and some locally made. It was built for the French Championship in 1986 & still had scrutineering tags from Pau, Paul Ricard, etc....from 1986. Tony Fall who ran Opel then told me it was sold at the end of `86 minus engine & gearbox. Not sure it ever ran again as it still had the original paint & alloy roll cage in it.
Alex
Marty Watt from the (then) MHDT told me of the HDT involvement in the car. MHDT supplied components and technical to Opel(?) that helped establish some links with the factory for the MHDT European campaign in 1986.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 03:36 (Ref:2045122)   #67
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the ADR VL from 1988, i have found the December 1988 'Motorsport' in which one of the writers (initials WPK) tests the Commodore (in Walkinshaw spec) at Silverstone

The last line of the first paragraph is interesting (and incorrect), saying "...but instead Docking plumped for an ex-Allan Grice Holden Commodore VL"

The article makes no mention of any other Commodore's being built, and perhaps calling it an ex-Allan Grice VL, rather than acuratly as a VK, is just a simple way of saying they converted it to VL specs.

A pic of the interior is there, which as William Dale mentions earlier doesn't really make sense. There is a HDT steering wheel, and the interior instrumentation just doesn't look very 'Roadways'.

No scanner, so i can't post any pics.....
Old 24 Oct 2007, 23:09 (Ref:2050732)   #68
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
If anyone knows the where-abouts of this car, I'm sure Ric would love to know too. It was stolen from his workshop last year (or was it the year before - time flies!).

Rob.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 13:28 (Ref:2217819)   #69
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
  • Michel Delcourt- possibly run by Serge Power, one VL appeared in a number of ETCC/WTCC rounds.
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-08-02-024.jpg
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-09-06-023.jpg
There was possibly a second car as well (see below)
  • Jeroen Hin- 'Playboy' backed VL appeared in a few ETCC rounds plus Spa
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-08-02-034.jpg
  • A VL appeared at the TT for British drivers Vic Covey/Andrew Jeffery-I'm guessing they leased either a second Serge Power/Delcourt car, or the Hin/Playboy car
  • TWR- a VL at the Nurburgring WTCC round for Walkinshaw/Allam in Herbie Clips colours
Just resurrected this as I've found the answer to the question I asked about the Covey/Jeffery car at the 87 TT- it looks like it was the Jeroen Hin 'Playboy' car:

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...06SSTT-102.jpg
Old 2 Jun 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2218031)   #70
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I was given a lift home in a mates new Vauxhall VRX8 (read rebadged Holden) at the weekend what a tool, I want one!
Old 3 Jun 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2218924)   #71
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that Allan Grice's Les Small built 87 car was sold by Roadways Racing to TWR and shipped to the UK for use in developing the fuel injected car.

TWR ran a VL at the Nurburgring in 87 for Walkinshaw & Allam.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5812/twrvl87nn7.jpg

TWR built at least 2 VLs in the UK to the fuel injected spec, possibly existing cars updated. One was air freighted out for the Bathurst 88 for Walkinshaw and Allam to drive. The car had major suspension failure after 5 laps, TWR having ignored local advice and run light weight components.

It was planned to use this and chassis TWR022 which was shipped to Australia in 89 as a 2 car attack on the ATCC by the Holden Racing Team. But Holden realising they would suffer a mauling at the hands of the Sierras decided to sit the year out.

For the end of year enduros Holden contracted out the running of HRT to Larry Perkins, and TWR022 was refreshed by Perkins becoming the #7 car.

The Bathurst 88 car remained at HSV in Melbourne until revived for the 90 enduros, going onto to score a historic victory at Bathurst against the Sierras and GTR. It ended up back at TWR in the UK.

The VL raced by Moffat in 87 was built by HDT at the beginning of the year, but after Brock and Holden split the WTCC campaign was cancelled and the car sold to Moffat. The VL Brock ran at Spa in 87 was not a converted VK, but the VL that Brock had debuted midway through the ATCC. It was shipped back to Australia and went on to win Bathurst that year.

The Ric Wood VS Commodore was built by Gibson Motorsport as chassis GMS005 and raced by Mark Skaife in 96 and 97, with John Cleland co-driving at Bathurst in 96, and Darren Hossack in 98.

Last edited by anthony81901; 3 Jun 2008 at 17:26.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 19:07 (Ref:2219000)   #72
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!

That's quite a well informed summary of the early TWR Commodores Anthony, many thanks for contributing to the thread!

Out of general interest how did you build up this body of knowledge? Were you connected to TWR at all?
Old 3 Jun 2008, 20:11 (Ref:2219073)   #73
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No connection to TWR, a lot of this has been discussed in the Aussie & NZ Tourers section over the years, there is a thread 'Grp C/Grp A/V8SC Where are they Now?
Old 5 Jan 2009, 04:35 (Ref:2365370)   #74
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901
I believe that Allan Grice's Les Small built 87 car was sold by Roadways Racing to TWR and shipped to the UK for use in developing the fuel injected car.
Sorry to drudge this old one again;

Australian Muscle Car magazine indicated in its "MIA Muscle" section that the '87 Grice Commodore was converted into an AUSCAR for 1988, and eventually written off at the Thunderdome.

Also, seems we are no closer to figuring out where the European Commodore's came from or went to
Old 5 Jan 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2365486)   #75
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901

TWR ran a VL at the Nurburgring in 87 for Walkinshaw & Allam.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5812/twrvl87nn7.jpg

TWR built at least 2 VLs in the UK to the fuel injected spec, possibly existing cars updated. One was air freighted out for the Bathurst 88 for Walkinshaw and Allam to drive. The car had major suspension failure after 5 laps, TWR having ignored local advice and run light weight components.
Spent some time over Christmas wading back through old Autosports looking at Group A stuff- in the issue preceding the 'Ring WTCC race there's a story about the TWR entry- I don't have the mag in front of me right now, but as I recall the story was that TWR had posted entries for the BTCC race supporting the British GP the same weekend (Rover for Jeff Allam and possibly Commodore for TW) but that it was rumoured that a Commodore turning up at the 'Ring was more likely. What's really interesting is the pic that illustrates the piece- a plain white unliveried VK with a TWR sunstrip on the screen, as mentioned several times earlier in the thread....

Tags
alan docking racing, btcc, etcc, group a, holden commodore, mike o brien