Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Dec 2018, 12:02 (Ref:3871102)   #176
Lanti
Rookie

Hungary
Budapest
Lanti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand you point, but... WTCR is a well known entity in Hungary, while TCR Europe is much smaller in TV coverage. Besides Eurosport the state TV also broadcasts it.

It is difficult to find sponsors for WTCR but it is way more difficult to persuade them to give money for TCR Europe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
I agree!

This was my point. They could move to TCR Europe and show more competively ahead of rejoining WTCR in future.

There are teams performing so much better with a Cupra that would be more competitive in WTCR, like PWR in STCC.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 19 Dec 2018, 09:35 (Ref:3871341)   #177
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanti View Post
I understand you point, but... WTCR is a well known entity in Hungary, while TCR Europe is much smaller in TV coverage. Besides Eurosport the state TV also broadcasts it.

It is difficult to find sponsors for WTCR but it is way more difficult to persuade them to give money for TCR Europe...
You're right also! Hope they will find some good sponsor to continue. But maybe after Michelisz there is also lack of pure talents in Hungary? Tassi showed he is really good but to go with Zengo now is risky. I also liked Ficza

In another note, Ehrlacher officially confirmed for Link&Co. So they have Bjork-Muller-Priaulx-Ehrlacher...just WOW
Old 20 Dec 2018, 14:48 (Ref:3871650)   #178
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Kristofferson confirmed alongside Huff and Bennani in the VW SLR!!

A 4th driver will be confirmed in a later date. Both Huff and Kristofferson are VW supported driver, so under contract directly with the manufacturer I think. It will be really interesting to see Kristofferson in the series. For me he is a pure talent, strong both on track and in rallycross! Also in rallies he is not bad
Old 20 Dec 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3871670)   #179
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In terms of the quality of the field, this is looking like a great season. If only they'd sort the calendar out.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3871671)   #180
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
In terms of the quality of the field, this is looking like a great season. If only they'd sort the calendar out.
Exactly.

And the coverage, because at the moment we are looking at a great season that many of us won't be able to watch.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 17:49 (Ref:3871680)   #181
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the coverage won't improve for as long as Eurosport continues to exist.
Old 17 Jan 2019, 09:56 (Ref:3876662)   #182
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Team Mulsanne will return with a two car line up. Touringcartimes said that the two drivers will be Kevin Ceccon and Tom Coronel...

In the meantime there is no confirmation that Honda will support some team, so there could be some independent Honda team next year. It seems they have again Monteiro and Guerrieri with a contract
Old 17 Jan 2019, 10:07 (Ref:3876666)   #183
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Glad to see them returning, hope they can do better this time
Old 17 Jan 2019, 13:08 (Ref:3876701)   #184
JD Media
Racer

Netherlands
Zandvoort
JD Media should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Glad to see them returning, hope they can do better this time
If the line-up will be Ceccon/Coronel at least one car will be fast, the other one I'm not so sure about...
Old 17 Jan 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3876739)   #185
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are some rumors that Attila Tassi will race in WTCR with Honda
http://www.serbiaring.com/vesti/atil...as-motorsport/
Old 17 Jan 2019, 21:42 (Ref:3876839)   #186
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0994 View Post
There are some rumors that Attila Tassi will race in WTCR with Honda
http://www.serbiaring.com/vesti/atil...as-motorsport/
And it seems that Honda want to place in WTCR one of his drivers.

So for now they should have:
- Monteiro
- Guerrieri ?
- Tassi ?
- japanese driver ?

Team still to be decided
Old 20 Jan 2019, 16:00 (Ref:3877340)   #187
Csaba
Racer

Hungary
Csaba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A mechanic guy from Münnich (posted it as a Facebook comment, so it is debatable if we can beleive it) said that Tassi is not on their list if they will be the only Honda squad in 2019.
And here comes the question, if Münnich will continue with Hondas- they don't really have other options. And there is Josh Files at Honda too. He is placed "higher" at the japanese squad than Tassi, but Attila has a good backing from Hell Energy. If Münnich will be the only Honda squad, they don't really need drivers with a huge backing- as suggested by team owner René in a previous interview.

There are strong rumours that PUG ceased its factory backing at DG Sport and they don't want to invest money in WTCR anymore and are looking for a cheaper series like TCR Europe. So basically DG are without cars for 2019, as Eric Neve suggested in an interview for hungarian site motorzaj.hu. Here you can find the full interview if you understand the language:
http://motorzaj.hu/a-peugeot-kihuzta...eric-neve-vel/

The only problem is, that Szilvia Magyari, who spoke with Neve is too questionable sometimes -for me at least, so i do not consider it completely true. In the end of the interview, she says that we will find out what happens with the team and Comte until the 30th of January. So we will see in a few days if it is true or not.

The situatation at Comtoyou is also interesting. They have confirmed a few days ago, that Dupont will be racing in TCR Europe this year in their Audis alongside Gilles Magnus. Their team principal said they want to use all of their licences, but can't have 4 Audis due to the new regulations. An option was running two Audis and 2 Cupras (as Cupra is also VW brand). But rumours coming from Campos and Seat suggest that they want Azcona alongside Oriola and Filippi (more likely his money from Oscaro), so if they want him too, they need to run 4 cars as 3 isn't permitted. That would also mean that Zengő would remain without Cupras for 2019.
Remaining at Comtoyou, Vervisch tested a DTM car in December and had/has a few outings with Audi (Dubai 24 h- he was in the winner squad, Bathurst 12 h etc.) and there is growing speculation around him driving for WRT in DTM this year. With Dupont racing in TCR Europe, Panis has probably a strong link to the seat, having also good backing.

The 4th VW is a really good question. Turkington was confirmed at WSR (yes the curse was broken). Another option was Fredrik Ekblöm coming from STCC- but it seems that he will announce his retirement in weeks time, due to his job.

In the end I suggest a field of 26-28 cars. 32 is too optimistic, as Alfa seems to only have 2 cars- if another team will not join, and if PUG also ceases the factory backing. 4 Lynk, VW, Hyundai- confirmed, 4 Audi and Honda- strongly suggested, maybe 4 Cupras and then 2 Alfas and maybe 2 Peugeots if DG will remain as private squad.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 11:47 (Ref:3877670)   #188
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csaba View Post
The 4th VW is a really good question. Turkington was confirmed at WSR (yes the curse was broken). Another option was Fredrik Ekblöm coming from STCC- but it seems that he will announce his retirement in weeks time, due to his job.
Ekström.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 17:20 (Ref:3877746)   #189
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That would be quite something if it happens
Old 23 Jan 2019, 12:59 (Ref:3877912)   #190
Lanti
Rookie

Hungary
Budapest
Lanti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And here comes the question, if Münnich will continue with Hondas- they don't really have other options. And there is Josh Files at Honda too. He is placed "higher" at the japanese squad than Tassi, but Attila has a good backing from Hell Energy.
Actually neither Tassi nor Files is contracted to Honda, they were contracted to JAS Motorsport last season, and as far as I know Tassi is in discussion with JAS for 19. But it is not JAS who decides about drivers, although they can give feedback to Honda. If Münnich will be the only Honda team in WTCR this Year, Honda will offer their factory drivers to them, but they will decide, who they want to sign.

Quote:
There are strong rumours that PUG ceased its factory backing at DG Sport and they don't want to invest money in WTCR anymore and are looking for a cheaper series like TCR Europe.
I heared the same from other sources. Peugeot does not want to invest in WTCR anymore. So DG sport could try to find a budget, switch marque or leave.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 11:05 (Ref:3878173)   #191
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Quote:
I heared the same from other sources. Peugeot does not want to invest in WTCR anymore. So DG sport could try to find a budget, switch marque or leave.
The championship will be even more competitive next season so it's not a surprise. DG need some serious sponsor but probably they will go to TCR Europe where actually you can fight with other privateers with lower costs.

I hope some manufacturers will sign Aurelien Comte, he's very good in touring car
Old 24 Jan 2019, 16:07 (Ref:3878261)   #192
Csaba
Racer

Hungary
Quote:
Actually neither Tassi nor Files is contracted to Honda, they were contracted to JAS Motorsport last season, and as far as I know Tassi is in discussion with JAS for 19. But it is not JAS who decides about drivers, although they can give feedback to Honda. If Münnich will be the only Honda team in WTCR this Year, Honda will offer their factory drivers to them, but they will decide, who they want to sign.

Thank you for the infos Atyánk . Since then I have read your article about Girolami joining Honda. As it was rumored since his WTCR visit in Japan, we will see. I'm not a huge fan of him, but will be a good addition to the already impressive field.

Berthon was confirmed today to be driving in WEC at Rebellion for the remaining 3 races and for the full 2019-20 season. As there are no clashes between the two championships, lets hope he will stay in WTCR as well. I was not expecting anything impressive from him last year, and in the end he beat Panis and Dupont too.

Greatings from GP-Zóna!

Last edited by Csaba; 24 Jan 2019 at 16:09. Reason: Forgot some infos I wanted to trasmit to Lanti (he is a commentator from hungarian Eurosport.)
Old 25 Jan 2019, 14:15 (Ref:3878551)   #193
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Nestor Girolami close to one of the Honda seat...
Old 28 Jan 2019, 11:31 (Ref:3880136)   #194
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Girolami and Guerrieri in at Munnich!

Old 28 Jan 2019, 11:36 (Ref:3880138)   #195
Csaba
Racer

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
Girolami and Guerrieri in at Munnich!

Also confirmed, that Münnich will only run two cars, and Monteiro will remain at Honda, being placed at a new team. TC Times suggests Boutsen-Ginion not returning, so maybe we can have a JAS run team, or even KCMG stepping up?
We will see.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 11:36 (Ref:3880139)   #196
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Grid So Far

Lynk & Co Cyan Racing - Lynk & Co 03 TCR - Thed Bjork
Lynk & Co Cyan Racing - Lynk & Co 03 TCR - Yvan Muller
Lynk & Co Cyan Racing - Lynk & Co 03 TCR - Yann Ehrlacher
Lynk & Co Cyan Racing - Lynk & Co 03 TCR - Andy Priaulx
TBC - Hyundai i30 N TCR - Gabriele Tarquini
TBC - Hyundai i30 N TCR - Nicky Catsburg
TBC - Hyundai i30 N TCR - Norbert Michelisz
TBC - Hyundai i30 N TCR - Augusto Farfus
Audi Sport Team WRT - Audi RS3 LMS TCR - Gordon Shedden
Audi Sport Team WRT - Audi RS3 LMS TCR - John-Karl Vernay
Audi Comtoyou - Audi RS3 LMS TCR - Frederic Vervisch
Audi Comtoyou - Audi RS3 LMS TCR - TBA
Munnich Motorsport - Honda Civic Type-R TCR - Estan Guerrieri
Munnich Motorsport - Honda Civic Type-R TCR - Nestor Girolami
TBC - Honda Civic Type-R TCR - Tiago Monteiro
TBC - Honda Civic Type-R TCR - TBA
Sebastian Loeb Racing - VW Golf GTI TCR - Rob Huff
Sebastian Loeb Racing - VW Golf GTI TCR - Mehdi Bennani
Sebastian Loeb Racing - VW Golf GTI TCR - Johan Kristoffersson
Sebastian Loeb Racing - VW Golf GTI TCR - TBA
Team Mulsanne - Alfa Romeo Guilietta TCR - TBA
Team Mulsanne - Alfa Romeo Guilietta TCR - TBA

Possible?

TBC - Peugeot 308TCR - Aurelien Comte
TBC - Peugeot 308TCR -
Comtoyou - Cupra???
Comtoyou - Cupra???
Cupra???
Cupra???
Tom Coronel??
Tom Ceccon?

Interesting, so we are definitely going to see 4 Hondas,
Old 28 Jan 2019, 11:51 (Ref:3880141)   #197
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kevin Ceccon and not Tom.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 12:21 (Ref:3880146)   #198
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As already stated, it's one hell of a grid. Some teams and drivers will be very disappointed, as some of the talented and experienced guys will have to settle for 20th, or even 25th etc.

Wild shot on the second Honda team: West Coast Racing? Time to reunite with Honda? Tiago and Ash Sutton driving?

By the way, has anyone understood how Sebastien Loeb Racing will handle their 4 cars? What will the second team be? Same SLR guys under a different banner?
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:19 (Ref:3880161)   #199
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettersson View Post
As already stated, it's one hell of a grid. Some teams and drivers will be very disappointed, as some of the talented and experienced guys will have to settle for 20th, or even 25th etc.

Wild shot on the second Honda team: West Coast Racing? Time to reunite with Honda? Tiago and Ash Sutton driving?

By the way, has anyone understood how Sebastien Loeb Racing will handle their 4 cars? What will the second team be? Same SLR guys under a different banner?
Loeb Sebastien Racing???

SL Racing?

not sure they will care too much as long as its technically different.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:52 (Ref:3880169)   #200
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I gather, Ceccon and Coronel are all but confirmed at Mulsanne.

On the second Honda team, if it's not Bousten Ginion, it'd be KCMG.