Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Jan 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2365760)   #51
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have a copy of the BBC TV programme "Blackpool Rock" a Top Gear special on TVR in 1997.

Tiff Needell took OUU4F round Snetterton (he spun it) and I was doing some of the driving.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2365778)   #52
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall
Just to clarify the Granada upright situation. About five years ago I was asked whether the Granada upright was legal, replied of course not and was then told all the TVR's were running them. By chance I was on a local trading estate in Martock Somerset doing something else and stumbled upon an organisation called the Granada centre. I went in and asked if they had any Granada front uprights. I was asked whether I wanted the early or the late type, and now flummoxed replied that I wanted them for my TVR Griffiths.
Ah, goes the man you want early types, sorry we have none of those and any we get we have a standing order from a man called Chris Schirle !!
I then went to the Oldtimer GP and we looked at all the TVR to find only one with the correct front suspension -but he had roller rockers. I then had a huge row with the German scrutes who wanted the roller rockers excluded before the event whilst I wanted them excluded afterwards so I could show the stewards right and wrong on the uprights.
Sadly despite this the FIA stewards did nothing on the day and took a year to deal with the issues which arose whilst a Griffiths which I knew to be wrong won the FIA championship.
The joys of it all you will never know.........

As an aside I hear all this safety stuff about Griffiths, it is probablty true, but if the car is not safe don't race it , it is not obligatory. In thirty years in Historic eligiblity I have yet to meet a competitors safety modificatiuon which makes a car slower.
Jeremy - your last paragraph sums it all up very neatly. From our aspect, it's our personal choice to keep with the different suspension but at least we have never hidden the fact that the car has this has hence why we haven't gone the FIA route.

I'm not persuaded to get FIA papers for the car for many reasons but most have been set out in the "development" thread and the "hidden" upgrades that we know many people are making to their Griffs/V8s - again a personal choice. Anyway, for a fairly standard Griff, it's a hoot to drive/race and we have lots of fun with it in our chosen races. After all, isn't that what we're all supposed to be having?
Old 5 Jan 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2365791)   #53
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Picking up on the earlier part of the thread discussing whether a car without International history could get papers and what constituted international anyway. Well the FiA have just updated AppK and it reads........

Cars without an international competition history but which have a competition history in national championship events or other significant national events of equivalent status may also be accepted.

So no more argument over a Griff's status as qualifying for papers.

Now back to the argument about originality and eligibility
Old 5 Jan 2009, 20:23 (Ref:2365846)   #54
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats been on the horizon for quite some time,there have been many request's for non compliant cars over the last few years,but I'm not so sure this is the best route for the FIA to take,there was always the "Special" alternative.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2365921)   #55
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Thats OK then Terry you can now enter your B wihout any problems with your 2.1 engine
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Jan 2009, 22:12 (Ref:2365924)   #56
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Thats OK then Terry you can now enter your B wihout any problems with your 2.1 engine
You promised not to mention it Gordon,there was a works car entered in the Outer Mongolian International GP in 64,that had a 2.3ltr fitted by the factory,I was very lucky to have found the spare engine they built.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 23:23 (Ref:2365965)   #57
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
You promised not to mention it Gordon,there was a works car entered in the Outer Mongolian International GP in 64,that had a 2.3ltr fitted by the factory,I was very lucky to have found the spare engine they built.
So you haven't come out of the closet with your real name.
Welcome to the Forum Tom W I knew it was you all along !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Jan 2009, 23:58 (Ref:2365982)   #58
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone.
I remember to have seen a black TVR (200 or 400?) in the HTGt race during the Oldtimer GP this year and also there should be another TVr resting in Italy, unraced for many years now.
Attached Thumbnails
174  1704.jpg  
Old 6 Jan 2009, 07:45 (Ref:2366108)   #59
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
So you haven't come out of the closet with your real name.
Welcome to the Forum Tom W I knew it was you all along !!!!

Enrico,I know the car but cannot think of the owners name.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2366183)   #60
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6
Picking up on the earlier part of the thread discussing whether a car without International history could get papers and what constituted international anyway. Well the FiA have just updated AppK and it reads........

Cars without an international competition history but which have a competition history in national championship events or other significant national events of equivalent status may also be accepted.

So no more argument over a Griff's status as qualifying for papers.

Now back to the argument about originality and eligibility
The critical words are 'significant' and 'may' in Appendix K as recently ammended. These cars become Historic Specials-almost certainly not accepted with GTS cars and currently the FIA definition of ''significant'' remains as I understand it unresolved. With regard to 'may'' all applications have to go to the FIA HMSC and be approved on a one by one basis, no blanket coverage for a type.
So having clarified the situation earlier regarding the TVR acceptance the route proposed does not solve the question.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2366257)   #61
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Enrico,I know the car but cannot think of the owners name.
I have found the pdf file with the race results...the name of the driver (owner?) of the black Griffith is Von Diemar (see attached file).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf R10_R1_Ges.pdf (68.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 6 Jan 2009, 15:04 (Ref:2366413)   #62
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Spaggiari
I have found the pdf file with the race results...the name of the driver (owner?) of the black Griffith is Von Diemar (see attached file).

Thanks Enrico,I remember him now,unfortunately I cannot download the PDF though,"Yahoo has a problem and needs to close" type of thing!.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 19:07 (Ref:2366539)   #63
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
am I reading all this correctly - might they have their FIA papers recinded? That will upset a few people...
Old 6 Jan 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2366579)   #64
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Although a possibility Simon,with the people who are building new ones/already own cars that have been granted them,I somehow doubt it.
There was of course the Shipman thing last year as well where the FIA backed down.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 14:33 (Ref:2367061)   #65
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Although a possibility Simon,with the people who are building new ones/already own cars that have been granted them,I somehow doubt it.
There was of course the Shipman thing last year as well where the FIA backed down.
Tell me more Terry.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 16:20 (Ref:2367114)   #66
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Tell me more Terry.
PM sent Jeremy.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2367116)   #67
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
spoilsport
Old 7 Jan 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2367117)   #68
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
spoilsport

------ Off topic but- Has someone got a footpump on sterling today Simon.

Last edited by terence; 7 Jan 2009 at 16:26.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 12:27 (Ref:2369883)   #69
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anymore chassis nos/info, please?
Old 12 Jan 2009, 12:32 (Ref:2369886)   #70
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I've been trying to get those of both Ward cars John but no reply yet.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2369888)   #71
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks, Terry.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2371162)   #72
DGTVR
Rookie

United Kingdom
worcestershire
DGTVR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
re post #36

Very interesting thread but just to clarify remanufactured and original style rear upright castings and stronger quill shafts can be found for these cars and are readily available.- hope this helps.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2371187)   #73
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
And if anyone should know, you should! Welcome, DGTVR.

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Oct 2009 at 15:39.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 23:49 (Ref:2371697)   #74
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I understand that a totally un altered Griffiths turned up in the paddock at Spa last September and that a complete set of photos and dimensions were taken from the car to be used once and for all as the definitive suspension layout/dimension/pick up points for the car from here on in.
That was my car at Spa.

I wouldn't say Jim and John took complete dimensions but they certainly had a very long look at the car on several occassions. The car has almost complete history back to 66 and apart from a temporary engine swap (410cu) for a period whilst drag racing in the early 70s, we believe it is probably pretty well original including the chassis.

Now eligibility is off the table I think the current issue is car width, as it appears that the only period competition photos of a Griff with wide rear arches is 66 or later ie period G rather than period F. Unless someone out there has some from 65?

The car is for sale and much prettier than Terry's ;-)) Cheaper too I think.
Still on herald uprights.......
Old 15 Jan 2009, 06:24 (Ref:2371776)   #75
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISCracer
That was my car at Spa.

I wouldn't say Jim and John took complete dimensions but they certainly had a very long look at the car on several occassions. The car has almost complete history back to 66 and apart from a temporary engine swap (410cu) for a period whilst drag racing in the early 70s, we believe it is probably pretty well original including the chassis.

Now eligibility is off the table I think the current issue is car width, as it appears that the only period competition photos of a Griff with wide rear arches is 66 or later ie period G rather than period F. Unless someone out there has some from 65?

The car is for sale and much prettier than Terry's ;-)) Cheaper too I think.
Still on herald uprights.......

I would hope it is cheaper Richard.