Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jan 2019, 18:00 (Ref:3877563)   #901
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Bower View Post
Oh, I do hope she's happy she got some money out of it!!
She was on Jeremy Vine today trying to sound like some kind of road safety expert. Pathetic. Desperate for her 15 minutes of fame.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 21 Jan 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3877564)   #902
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
She was driving an Eclipse or an Elise…
No, just a Ford Sierra. I was crossing a side road on my way home from collecting my Autosport from the newsagent (it was a long time ago!!) & she turned into the road on the wrong side, cutting the corner, which meant that we were each unsighted of the other.

When she came round she asked if I'd reported it to the Police. I said I hadn't as I would still be sitting in the road waiting for Pinky & Perky to turn up. She then introduced the friend who was with her - she was a WPC...
Old 21 Jan 2019, 18:09 (Ref:3877565)   #903
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Just out of interest, has anyone on here who has had the misfortune to be involved in a RTC ever received a phone call from the other party, whether they were or were not to blame, to say that they were sorry that a collision had happened? Or, did you phone the other party to state regret that the collision happened?

Furthermore, did you either receive or send a bucket of flowers?

What a load of spherical objects!
The most i've ever done is phone a hospital to see if the bloke that ran into my truck was still alive, more out of concern for my licence than him, that was 30 years ago and I haven't heard anything since so I assume he was OK
Old 21 Jan 2019, 18:17 (Ref:3877568)   #904
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I knocked a bloke of his push bike way back in 1969. I was on my Scooter. I did go and see him in hospital I was only 16. For some reason he was not very happy with me.
Old 21 Jan 2019, 18:35 (Ref:3877571)   #905
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Going back to the Super Moon, I did laugh this morning when the beeb asked for photos to be sent in. One enterprising viewer sent a pic of a slice of chorizo on a black background....... Very realistic!
Old 21 Jan 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3877572)   #906
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I knocked a bloke of his push bike way back in 1969. I was on my Scooter. I did go and see him in hospital I was only 16. For some reason he was not very happy with me.
Times have changed quite a bit since them in some cases ,and not so much in others.
Old 21 Jan 2019, 20:01 (Ref:3877585)   #907
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I knocked a bloke of his push bike way back in 1969. I was on my Scooter.
A push bike and a scooter then… let me see… ha! you invented the Piaggio MP3. Many things have been invented by accident. Me for instance!
Old 21 Jan 2019, 20:28 (Ref:3877590)   #908
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just done my Motorsport 2019 Calendar
50 Plus I'd like to go to hahaha.Getting a bit OTT now I think.
Old 21 Jan 2019, 22:31 (Ref:3877604)   #909
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No such thing as OTT. Do it while you can, and make sure you take your dad along too. This is precious time, enjoy it.

Old 22 Jan 2019, 06:32 (Ref:3877632)   #910
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Midget, may be you mean something like " If youth knew, if old age could"…
Old 22 Jan 2019, 12:09 (Ref:3877675)   #911
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I guess the wind is blowing from the west… 'cose we now have 2 inches of white snow spread over Paris. Should be five centimeters, no…*Bob, any idea ?
Old 22 Jan 2019, 12:15 (Ref:3877678)   #912
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I guess the wind is blowing from the west… 'cose we now have 2 inches of white snow spread over Paris. Should be five centimeters, no…*Bob, any idea ?
Similar here too, Gerard. Snowed for most of the morning but brightening up now. Just seen a BBC weather map that showed it moving away up north this afternoon.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 12:17 (Ref:3877680)   #913
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I guess the wind is blowing from the west… 'cos we now have 2 inches of white snow spread over Paris. Should be five centimeters, no…
All these years I've been learning to think and work in metric- Km, Kmh, kilos grams etc...… And you're now using inches?
Old 22 Jan 2019, 12:18 (Ref:3877682)   #914
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You should try Engineering. Quite often find references to 8" x M16 Stud Bolts or the like.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 13:07 (Ref:3877690)   #915
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had to chuckle at this.... you couldnt make it up, really!

Old 22 Jan 2019, 13:18 (Ref:3877693)   #916
midgetman
Veteran

My mother used to measure cloth as "3 feet 4 centimetres." It used to give me a really hard time sorting out the costings

Old 22 Jan 2019, 13:20 (Ref:3877694)   #917
midgetman
Veteran

Speaking of the snow, I understand Eurostar is delayed because of snow in France. If that was in the UK the Daily Mail/Express lobby would be foaming at the mouth about Britain's unpreparedness for snow......

Old 22 Jan 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3877698)   #918
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I recently answered a knock at the door to find a man standing outside who was exactly 39.4" tall.
"Kane I come in?" he asked.
"Who are you?" said I.
"I'm the metre man" he replied...
Old 22 Jan 2019, 14:04 (Ref:3877700)   #919
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I recently answered a knock at the door to find a man standing outside who was exactly 39.4" tall.
"Who are you?" said I.
Is there a groan emoji?

Fixed that for you.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 22 Jan 2019 at 15:24.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 16:09 (Ref:3877728)   #920
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
See that, bauble, "our" Viva met the real GT 39.4! Ford interesting, is it?
Old 22 Jan 2019, 16:36 (Ref:3877731)   #921
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
See that, bauble, "our" Viva met the real GT 39.4! Ford interesting, is it?

This gets me reminiscing about my yoof days, when I and chums would often drive to Heathrow Airport very late on a Saturday night/early hours of Sunday morning for a late night snack - Sunday being our only day off work, and having been working behind the bar until gone 11 p.m. or even later if I was at the restaurant.

Anyway, our route would be to take the North Circular to Chiswick, and then on to the M4 to the airport. The connection with this drive and the GT40 is that John Wyer's boys often took the race cars out for testing during these quiet hours in the night, and it was down to Chiswick and back to Slough on the M4 that they would drive with their right feet pushing the pedal to the metal as they roared past us.

Of course as far as driving was concerned, those were the good old days when speed on the motorways was unrestricted. Not that many of our road cars would do anything like even a ton. Unlike these days when some of our cars are restricted to 145/155 mph, but the maximum speed limit is 70!
Old 22 Jan 2019, 16:40 (Ref:3877733)   #922
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And of course there was the monthly Chequered Flag race to Bristol and Back.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 16:47 (Ref:3877735)   #923
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
My former boss had a green road legal GT 40 he loved to use to visit some important Pioneer clients. Sometimes when the rains came, the car had to be towed because it was running on slick tires! I remember our private mechanic being rather angry sometimes with this kind of whim.

By the way, I totally ignored you need a PPL to work at the Heathrow restaurant…
Old 22 Jan 2019, 16:47 (Ref:3877736)   #924
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
No they wouldn't , those fascist rags would be blaming the French!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Speaking of the snow, I understand Eurostar is delayed because of snow in France. If that was in the UK the Daily Mail/Express lobby would be foaming at the mouth about Britain's unpreparedness for snow......

Old 22 Jan 2019, 16:47 (Ref:3877737)   #925
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
"Who are you?" said I.
Closed Thread